What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 626392 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5050 on: March 25, 2012, 04:31:44 AM »

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Bizarre but enjoyable. Gambon always cool.

Saw this a long time ago. I don't remember a lot about it beyond the fact that it was really weird. May have to watch it again.

Not sure it's the kind I'd watch again, to be honest. Tongue

It does include the smearing of a man with feces and the delicacy of glazed penis for dinner.

lol. It was NC-17 in the states.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5051 on: March 28, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

MULLHOLLAND DR.

Classic Lynch-weirdness. I had actually never seen most of it before I caught it on television this morning. Apparently it was originally designed as a pilot. I would've loved to see it as a television show but networks would've castrated it. Perhaps with the television revival that seems to be going on with programs on AMC and HBO, Lynch could be inspired to try to bring it to the small screen again. It would be a great gift for those (like myself) that miss "Twin Peaks."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5052 on: March 28, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »

It would be a great gift for those (like myself) that miss "Twin Peaks."

I'm currently working my way through the second season.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5053 on: March 28, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »

It would be a great gift for those (like myself) that miss "Twin Peaks."

I'm currently working my way through the second season.

The second season is a bit weak in my opinion but it has to be appreciated since that's all there is. The last few episodes of the season are on the level of the first season though.

There's also the film TWIN PEAKS:FIRE WALK WITH ME that seems to divide people. Not enough of my namesake in it for my tastes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5054 on: March 28, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »

MULLHOLLAND DR.

Classic Lynch-weirdness. I had actually never seen most of it before I caught it on television this morning. Apparently it was originally designed as a pilot. I would've loved to see it as a television show but networks would've castrated it. Perhaps with the television revival that seems to be going on with programs on AMC and HBO, Lynch could be inspired to try to bring it to the small screen again. It would be a great gift for those (like myself) that miss "Twin Peaks."

How did you like The Cowboy scene?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5055 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »

That scene was particularly boring in comparison to the rest of the movie.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5056 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »

Disagree. That was one of my favorite parts.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5057 on: March 29, 2012, 02:39:51 AM »

I'm with Eraserhead. Brilliant scene. And fairly important for understanding the plot as well, imo.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5058 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »

Hunger Games.

I'm with Eraserhead. Brilliant scene. And fairly important for understanding the plot as well, imo.

Well there was no real 'plot', but yeah it was an important scene.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5059 on: March 29, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

Hunger Games.

After my first viewing I had an interpretation of the plot that was fairly straightforward. Two more viewings have only reinforced that interpretation.

(and before anyone accuses me of smug pretentiousness, Lynch has said that the film has a plot and I think my interpretation is the standard one. I do take some pride in having come up with it independently though Cheesy)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5060 on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »

The Last Detail

Hilarious and excellent. Still trying to figure out if the ending worked for me or not though.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5061 on: March 29, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »

Hunger Games.

After my first viewing I had an interpretation of the plot that was fairly straightforward. Two more viewings have only reinforced that interpretation.

(and before anyone accuses me of smug pretentiousness, Lynch has said that the film has a plot and I think my interpretation is the standard one. I do take some pride in having come up with it independently though Cheesy)

Is it remarkably different from the dream interpretation?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5062 on: March 29, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »

Don't remember the last movie (I'm not much into the movies recently), but last thing I watched was an entire first season of Boss.

Is Kelsey Grammer Fred Thompson's twin or what?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5063 on: March 30, 2012, 02:53:10 AM »

Is it the one where one of the characters is a dream that the failed actress wishes she was?

If I had to say a plot, I would say that an actress arrives in L.A., meets an older actress, they get into a relationship and audition for the same movie and the older one becomes a success while the younger one fails. The older one then abandons the younger one who, in a fit of rage, orders the older one killed. But the older one survives and becomes amnesiac. The younger one commits suicide.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5064 on: March 30, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »

Is it the one where one of the characters is a dream that the failed actress wishes she was?

If I had to say a plot, I would say that an actress arrives in L.A., meets an older actress, they get into a relationship and audition for the same movie and the older one becomes a success while the younger one fails. The older one then abandons the younger one who, in a fit of rage, orders the older one killed. But the older one survives and becomes amnesiac. The younger one commits suicide.

I don't think the older one (whom I never thought of as all that much older) survives.

My interpretation is essentially that the last part of the movie depicts reality whereas the first and main part of it is the blonde girl's attempt to deal with feelings of guilt, creating an alternate reality which is more palatable to her. A lot of the cool sort of side-stories fit very nicely into that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5065 on: March 30, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »

The Hunger Games.

The last half hour was a load of sh**t, though I can see how it made sense to the plot. Still, a decent watch.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5066 on: March 30, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »

The Hunger Games.

The last half hour was a load of sh**t, though I can see how it made sense to the plot. Still, a decent watch.

My biggest complaint after watching it was just how every action scene was shot. It was just that sort of "this is PG-13 but it still needs action so we're going to make sure you can't tell what the hell is going on, ever" philosophy of camera work.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #5067 on: March 30, 2012, 06:54:18 PM »

Pandora's Box, which is largely the explanation for my signature. Louise Purple heart
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5068 on: March 30, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »

The Hunger Games.

My biggest complaint after watching it was just how every action scene was shot. It was just that sort of "this is PG-13 but it still needs action so we're going to make sure you can't tell what the hell is going on, ever" philosophy of camera work.

It didn't really bother me that much.  They still showed the injuries.  I think they were just trying to go Cloverfield-manic.  The crap with the CGI beast dogs was baloney and that last fight scene made me feel like I was just watching Twilight.  It was 2 hours of Children of Men with half an hour of some CW show at the end.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5069 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »

The Hunger Games.

It didn't really bother me that much.  They still showed the injuries.  I think they were just trying to go Cloverfield-manic.  The crap with the CGI beast dogs was baloney and that last fight scene made me feel like I was just watching Twilight.  It was 2 hours of Children of Men with half an hour of some CW show at the end.

Was the crowd particularly obnoxious, or was it as diverse as that Box Office Mojo report said (only about 60/40 female/male and a majority over 25)?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5070 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »

The Hunger Games.

Just watched this too. I had some issues with it but, overall, I liked it quite a bit. It was more intense than I would have expected it to be. This and The Dark Knight kind of prove that you can get away with a lot of serious violence in a PG-13 movie these days as long as you use a lot of fast cuts when necessary.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5071 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:11 AM »

The Hunger Games.

Was the crowd particularly obnoxious, or was it as diverse as that Box Office Mojo report said (only about 60/40 female/male and a majority over 25)?

Some dude (and I mean dude) chuckled with every kill.  It was kinda odd.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5072 on: April 04, 2012, 02:54:11 AM »

Badlands by Terrence Mallick. Pretty cool stuff.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5073 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:06 AM »

A Night to Remember, followed shortly thereafter by Titanic. Yeah, a Titanic marathon.

On a side note, the resemblances between Titanic and Twilight are rather disturbing and preoccupying.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5074 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »

What's disturbing is that you know enough about Twilight to compare things to it. Tongue

Anyway, my last film was Network. Amazing. And felt scarily modern.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 ... 212  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies