What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:19:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630689 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: January 14, 2007, 07:48:03 PM »

The last king of Scotland. Impressive performances by all the main cast, especially Forest Whittaker who basically owns all in his performance as mad genodical dictator Idi Amin. My only real complaint here would be the last 30 minutes (and the "Abortion" subplot) some would detract from Realism, before that the situation seemed somewhat plausible.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »

"Night of the Living Dead" on the TV.

Going to see "Bobby" tomorrow.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:39:05 AM »

"Night of the Living Dead" on the TV.

Going to see "Bobby" tomorrow.

Done.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »

Notes on a Scandal.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »

Videodrome

I watched it at 2 in the morning, and... what a mindfuck it was. Long live the new flesh!

oh, and the Criterion Collection DVD (which I happen to own Wink) is superb. Incredible packaging, great transfer, and a mountain of extras. Criterions don't come cheap, but they're worth it.

True Classic it truly is. Death to videodrome, Long live the new flesh! Smiley

Seen A history of Violence?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »

Videodrome

I watched it at 2 in the morning, and... what a mindfuck it was. Long live the new flesh!

oh, and the Criterion Collection DVD (which I happen to own Wink) is superb. Incredible packaging, great transfer, and a mountain of extras. Criterions don't come cheap, but they're worth it.

True Classic it truly is. Death to videodrome, Long live the new flesh! Smiley

Seen A history of Violence?

I have, but I didn't really like it. I found it to be one of the most overrated films of that year. It didn't really get to me in any way.

Here I was thinking I was the only one.... Cronenberg's best is the old stuff imo.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »

The Man who would be King - a rerun at a local cinema. Fairly Impressive cast but all together not one of the better films to come out of the 70s.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »

Annie Hall - that movie really gets better every time I watch it. But should I be worried by the fact that I can identify with Woody Allen's character?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »

The Science of Sleep.

A totally bonkers yet great romanticesque dream film (it's the only way I can describe it.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 09:54:35 PM »

The Illusionist.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 07:08:45 PM »

Inland Empire.

I'm still trying to figure out is not whether or not this proves David Lynch has completely lost grip on reality, as he clearly has, but whether this is a good thing or not.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »

300. Fairly Boring aside from the visuals, which were amazing obviously - and is it just me or aren't all of Frank Miller's films at their root core just very god damn conservative? (or perhaps I'm doing what BRTD did with Arnie Flicks - though Miller seems to be slightly more intelligent than Arnie. I think.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 06:14:37 AM »

Lol. I wasn't thinking of Iraq at all, but the attitude that Miller shows in his films strike me as... well... fascist, to say the least.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »

300, it was sh**t. OK fight scenes, good visuals, but the metaphor was very very VERY obvious and grating.

Basic idea, you have 300 perfect specimens of European manhood, along with a small group of cowardly, underprepared but still tolerated allies. They are fighting the evil council of five ugly men to go to war, and when they get there the enemies are all foreigners out to kill them and destroy their perfectly acceptable society. I also liked how the gods were dismissed by the Spartan ruler-polytheism is after all the devil.

The enemies comprise black africans, middle easterners and east asians. Plus, Xerxes is presented as a camp overlord.

I did give up watching shortly after the invincibles, so maybe it improved, but I somehow doubt that. Basically, sh**t film that deserves no recognition for anything other than some of the filmography.

Yes.

@Kramer: Why do we need to glorify war? European culture since 1945 has created some of the happiness and most stable societies in the history of Earth - Without the need to glorify war. Unless you consider us decadent (and then watch me roll my eyes).

Also what Al said about the Persians and Spartans were entirely true, The Spartan society was a slave-dependant culture and as seen in the film was a brutal and degrading one, how anyone can praise a culture where just born babies are killed for appearing un-warrior like (it's not a fiction) is disgusting. The Persians were far more free than the Spartans or the Macedonians for that Matter (when Alexander conquered Persia he burned the major libaries and studies of Persian mystics and scientists aswell as the palaces and monuments of the conquered empire - one of the greatest loses in the history of civilisation).

In real life Leonidas and his gang were little more than glorified thugs brought up in a thuggish anti-human enviorment. There was no freedom in that society (and one can't point to Athens - Athens great civilizing achievements came later after the end of the Persian wars.)

Also Frank Miller also seems to have the mind of a fascist in that in both Sin City and 300 he celebrates a retarded and primitive version of "manliness" and meaninglessly thuggish violence, makes fun of queers (ie: Xerxes) and demeans women as eye candy, only important for their sexual role, and sees anything other as anti-civilization, decadent and corrupt.

I say "mind of a fascist" as Miller isn't sophisicated enough imo to become a true fascist.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »

Idiocracy.

At times becomes the thing it wants to satirize. But otherwise a fairly good way to waste 90 minutes or so out of your life, and has some (but not alot) very funny moments, but overall not really laugh out loud type humour.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »

Fast Food Nation.

Hey, it made me want to join an anti-globalization riot and Smash a couple of McDonalds, so it worked. Even though it's a greatly flawed piece of work taken from an distance - I admire Richard Linklater, I think he's an intelligent guy with an actual desire to say something in his films, unlike most other directors, the problem is that he really wants to be a rebel, but isn't sure how. And just ends up looking at times like a parody of 60s\70s countercultural types.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »

A Bridge to Terebithia.

Best Kids movie I've seen since I was a kid. Remarkable really.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 01:10:23 PM »

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.

What did you think of it?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 02:03:14 PM »

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.

I've always wanted to see that.

Watched Requiem for a Dream while drunk last night. It certainly added a few layers to the experience

Do. And Requiem for a Dream has long been on my "must see" list.

I've rented the 2004 British Mockumentary CSA, showing an alternative history of America assuming the south won the war. I'm going to watch it tonight.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »

Bloody genius. I never really rated Greenaway until recently, mainly because I didn't necessarily understand his work, but now I do I can appreciate it on a whole new level. It's a shame we don't really do art like this in Britain anymore, stuff that is challenging and daring and isn't scared to be intellectual. Anyway, great film.

Nice to meet a like minded person on the board. Though it's near impossible to find Greenaway's films here in Ireland (My copy of TCTTHSHL was bought in an obscure second hand VHS place). Smiley

EDIT: I've just realized.......... POST 1500, bitches. Smiley
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

Die Hard 4.

Perfectly reasonable as mindless Hollywood entertainment goes.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 07:40:18 PM »

I just saw CSA too - the problem here is that it doesn't try to portray a true alternative history but rather make political points. And by failing to do the former it fails in the latter - a comic idea of alternative history where only the names change. Yawn...

Though some of the facts shown near the end are truly amazing.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 07:05:48 PM »

The Simpsons Movie
I really liked the opening half hour or so - but I thought the latter parts of the film suffered because of the need for plot development which weighed it down a little. Worth seeing though - much better than most of the Simpsons output in recent years.

Hahaha.. That's almost exactly what I was going to post in this thread.

Also the attempts at Political 'satire' were far too feeble. The Simpsons truly sucks when it tries to be relevant.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »

The Simpsons Movie
I really liked the opening half hour or so - but I thought the latter parts of the film suffered because of the need for plot development which weighed it down a little. Worth seeing though - much better than most of the Simpsons output in recent years.

Did they show a trailer for "The Dark Knight" beforehand?

Not when I saw it, no.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:22 AM »

The Simpsons Movie

Hahaha.. That's almost exactly what I was going to post in this thread.

Also the attempts at Political 'satire' were far too feeble. The Simpsons truly sucks when it tries to be relevant.

You mean you don't think Itchy/Hillary could win in '08?

What's the Difference? One is a inhuman murderous sociopath and the other is a mouse.

I just really hope Bush has forgotten where the "Accidental launch" button is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies