What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:23:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630757 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« on: October 07, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »

I watched the remake of Dawn of the Dead last week. It was okay.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:40:49 AM »

X Files: I want to Believe

I thought it was good and not boring, though if you don't like the show you won't like the movie. It was just like one longer episode.

Although I'm not a big fan of the show (I've only seen a handful of episodes), I did enjoy it. It's really hard to go wrong with the amount of chemistry that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have together.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »

I got dragged to Harry Potter and the Magical Maguffins by my boyfriend. Having never read any of the books, nor seen any of the movies, this was what I got:

There's this evil guy who doesn't have a nose who I guess is trying to take over the world. (He even has his very own Legion of Doom.) Harry Potter is the Chosen One, whatever that means, and therefore a target of all the evil magical people in the world. He has to run away from them, while also looking for some magical maguffins that are a source of the evil guy's power, I guess, and (totally unlike any other fantasy franchise made into a series of hit movies recently) when you have one in your possession it tends to corrupt you. Meanwhile, the wizard infrastructure has been taken over by evil guy's thugs who are basically magic Nazis, because they believe in racial purity and superiority over non-magical types. Oh, and the titular Deathly Hallows finally get a mention in the last 20 minutes or so.

It was a well-made movie, except with the action scenes it was often impossible to tell what's going on. It didn't make me want to read the books or anything, though.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »

I watched An Alternative to Slitting Your Wrist last night. It's a documentary about a guy who tried to kill himself, then when he got out of the hospital, decided to make a list of 52 things he's always wanted to do in the following year, and do one each week. It was actually quite a good film. It's uplifting without being saccharine.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:51 AM »

Jonah Hex

Well, it was better than Legion.

I'm guessing that review didn't make it onto the DVD box.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »

We just watched Tron (the original) because I was incredulous that my boyfriend had never seen it. It was even more ridiculous than I remember.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »

Moon. It was fine. I knew what the twist was going into it, though.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »

Restrepo -- it was pretty interesting, but they really screwed up evening out the volume levels in post. I had to keep turning it up to hear people talk and down when they came under fire. It made the movie kind of hard to follow at times.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »

Frozen, which had some scenes I had to look away from. Not a bad movie, but ugh.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »

Frozen, which had some scenes I had to look away from. Not a bad movie, but ugh.

Have you ever seen Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom?

I can't say that I have.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »

Have you ever seen Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom?

I can't say that I have.

I have to wonder if you'd have to look away watching that one then.

Just looking at the description on wikipedia tells me that I would not be watching it, period.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »

Glengarry Glen Ross. It was... not the revelatory experience that the internets makes it out to be. It wasn't bad, but really, the best part was the one scene with Alec Baldwin.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »

Paranormal Activity 2. Decent film, but nowhere near as good as the original. Might have been better had I seen it in the theater.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »

The Kids Are Allright.

Probably my least favourite of the Best Picture nominees I've seen so far. Still pretty good.

We watched the first half hour or so of that movie, then shut it off because it wasn't very interesting.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »

Monsters. It was okay, but really didn't have much to do with the actual monsters. Also, the ending was ridiculous.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »

Zachary Quinto is Italian and Irish.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »

I'm not a big fan of country music, but I really liked Crazy Heart, including the music in it.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »

Saw Thor... It was all right, nothing spectacular.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »

Thor

So much fun! It certainly washed the mediocre taste of Iron Man 2 out of my mouth.

Tom Hiddelston kind of steals the show. He helps make Loki a pretty complex and enjoyable villain.

I'm not really familiar with Thor, though I know the basics? How do they portray Thor's alter ego (is it doctor Don Blake? I think that's who he was)?

Donald Blake is an actual person (he was referred to as Jane Foster's ex), and they use his ID as a cover to spring Thor out of SHIELD custody. That's the extent of it being in the movie.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »

X-Men: First Class

Excellent! The first half of it really was more like a James Bond film than an X-Men movie. Oh yeah, and there is seriously a tremendous amount of female eye candy in it which certainly didn't hurt my view.

I also saw X-Men: First Class, and I agree that it was a really good movie (with the exception of January Jones).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

Sanctum -- not much to write home about. Nothing terrible, but nothing particularly great either. Characters make stupid decisions, then die.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »

Captain America, a patently paint-by-numbers superhero film.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »

Paranormal Activity 3. It was okay, and if you're really into the series, it expands the back story, but they've pretty much run the creative well dry at this point.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »

Tron: Legacy. Impressive visual design, great soundtrack, mediocre story.

I'm no pro-heterosezual, but the idea of LGBT movies just sound like a bad time.

Like any other genre of film, it's 90% crap.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies