Marriage and the Full Faith and Credit Clause
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:36:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Marriage and the Full Faith and Credit Clause
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Under which of these circumstances must the state recognize the marriage?
A homosexual couple, living in Massachusetts, is married there, and later moves to Alabama.

A homosexual couple, living in Texas, is married in Massachusetts, and returns to Texas.

Utah legalizes polygamy. A man marries three women, and they later move to Connecticut.

Virginia abolishes marriage entirely. A straight, married couple moves to Virginia.

Some really whacked out state allows a 40-year-old man and his 12-year-old daughter to get married. They move to a sane state.

None of the above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Marriage and the Full Faith and Credit Clause  (Read 3797 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »

Discuss.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »

None
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »

None. States should control and enforce their own marriage laws should they so wish.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 09:30:10 PM »

States should control and enforce their own marriage laws should they so wish.

What the states should be able to do is completely irrelevant. Only what they can do matters.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 05:27:38 PM »

The first four, under current law.  The "whacked out state" is called Kansas, where it's happened in the last four years.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 05:42:33 PM »

A contract made in one state is enforceable in every other state. Marriage is, as far as the law is concerned, a type of contract. Whether Utah recognizes same-sex marriage or not, a Massachusetts "marriage" contract can be enforced in that state.

However, nothing in the full faith and credit clause requires a state to grant benefits to couples "married" in other states. To assert otherwise would be to claim that one state is entitled to legislate for another. Thus, I would say None of the Above.

The first four, under current law.  The "whacked out state" is called Kansas, where it's happened in the last four years.
The Supreme Court has generally that a marriage in one state is a marriage in another, unless the marriage contradicts the "public policy" of the latter state. The public policy exception would apply in all of the cases listed above.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 05:52:13 PM »

Although I'm aware of the "public policy exception," I have no clue what case it stems from. Care to enlighten?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 06:04:43 PM »

Although I'm aware of the "public policy exception," I have no clue what case it stems from. Care to enlighten?
I don't know the case in which this principle was originally expressed. The earliest case I could find was Bradford Electric Light v. Clapper (1932).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 06:51:51 PM »

A contract made in one state is enforceable in every other state. Marriage is, as far as the law is concerned, a type of contract. Whether Utah recognizes same-sex marriage or not, a Massachusetts "marriage" contract can be enforced in that state.

However, nothing in the full faith and credit clause requires a state to grant benefits to couples "married" in other states. To assert otherwise would be to claim that one state is entitled to legislate for another. Thus, I would say None of the Above.

The Supreme Court has generally that a marriage in one state is a marriage in another, unless the marriage contradicts the "public policy" of the latter state. The public policy exception would apply in all of the cases listed above.

It didn't in Loving.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 07:08:38 PM »

Loving had nothing to do with the full faith and credit clause. It was decided on equal protection grounds, which are (even under current jurisprudence) inapplicable here.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 07:33:41 PM »

By the way, I'm not talking about current law, under which the answer is obviously NOTA. I'm talking about the correct interpretation, in your view.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 07:58:53 PM »

I'm talking about the correct interpretation, in your view.
Yes, my answer was based on what I believe to be the original meaning of the Constitution.

The public policy exception makes little sense. The Constitution makes it clear that "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State." It makes no exception for acts, records, and proceedings that contradict public policy; all acts, records, and proceedings are entitled to full faith and credit.

However, I do not believe that the clause requires a state to confer any particular benefits on any individual. Just because Texas issues a hunting license, it does not follow that California is required to honor it. Thus, under my interpretation of the clause, the public policy exception is not even necessary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies