Why did Orange County, CA elect some House Democrats in the 1960s-70s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:17:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why did Orange County, CA elect some House Democrats in the 1960s-70s?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why did Orange County, CA elect some House Democrats in the 1960s-70s?  (Read 1313 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:12:05 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2020, 11:18:00 PM by ERM64man »

OC was known for being GOP then. Why were Anaheim and OC’s North Coast represented by Democrats?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 11:28:49 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2020, 11:36:37 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

This is something I've also wanted to know. For the entire time that Orange County has had more than one district within its borders, it's only been an all GOP delegation from 1984-1996.

From 1962-1974, Richard Hanna represented the 34th district, and he was followed by Jerry Paterson in a successor district (38th) from 1974-1984. Mark Hannaford represented the redrawn 34th district from 1974-1978, although it also spilled over into Los Angeles County.

What were these guys like? I have to imagine they were quite a bit more conservative than the national Democratic party.

Fun little side note, Hanna was the central political figure in the Koreagate scandal.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 12:02:47 AM »

This is something I've also wanted to know. For the entire time that Orange County has had more than one district within its borders, it's only been an all GOP delegation from 1984-1996.

From 1962-1974, Richard Hanna represented the 34th district, and he was followed by Jerry Paterson in a successor district (38th) from 1974-1984. Mark Hannaford represented the redrawn 34th district from 1974-1978, although it also spilled over into Los Angeles County.

What were these guys like? I have to imagine they were quite a bit more conservative than the national Democratic party.

Fun little side note, Hanna was the central political figure in the Koreagate scandal.
Hanna/Patterson were Anaheim/Santa Ana. Was Hannaford Seal Beach/Westminster/West Garden Grove/Huntington Beach/Cypress/Long Beach in the 1970s? Who were the OC Democrats other than Hanna in the 1960s?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:54 AM »

The Anaheim district was drawn in 1962 to include as many Democratic areas as possible.  This continued in the 1970s.  Hannaford was purely a fluke who only won in 1974 because of Watergate (he barely held on in 1976 before losing solidly in 1978).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2020, 09:07:35 AM by ERM64man »

Was it the Hispanic vote that helped elect Hanna and Patterson?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:06:32 AM »

Was it the Hispanic vote that helped elect Hanna and Patterson?

That as well as white working class voters being included in the district.  That area was always the most Dem part of OC.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »

Hannaford represented the OC North Coast in the 1970s. Who was OC’s North Coast Democrat in the 1960s?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »

Hannaford represented the OC North Coast in the 1970s. Who was OC’s North Coast Democrat in the 1960s?

There wasn’t one.  Hannaford was the first Dem to represent that area.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »

Was Hanna the only OC Democrat before Hannaford?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:31 AM »

I believe so.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 11:22:03 AM »

I believe so.
What parts of LA County and OC (other than Anaheim) were in Hanna's district? Patterson's district (old CA-38) is now CA-46.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2020, 11:46:20 AM by Mr.Phips »

There wasn’t one.  Hannaford was the first Dem to represent that area.

I believe so.
What parts of LA County and OC (other than Anaheim) were in Hanna's district? Patterson's district (old CA-38) is now CA-46.

In the 60s, it was Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster, Cypress, Buena Park, Lakewood (LA county), and the West side of Santa Ana.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »

I believe so.

Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster, Cypress, Buena Park, Lakewood (LA county), and the West side of Santa Ana.
So Hanna represented the North Coast too?
This map is not detailed enough. 25 and 32 seem to be either inland OC or and/or Long Beach districts. Were the LA/OC districts 25 and 32 both represented by Republicans?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »

I believe so.

Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster, Cypress, Buena Park, Lakewood (LA county), and the West side of Santa Ana.
This map is not detailed enough. 25 and 32 seem to be either inland OC or and/or Long Beach districts. Were the LA/OC districts 25 and 32 both represented by Republicans?

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 12:00:12 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2020, 12:06:41 PM by ERM64man »

I believe so.

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.
Where were 25/32 located? It seems 25/32 were GOP (Wiggins and Hosmer). Who was Inland? Who was Long Beach?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 12:10:05 PM »

I believe so.

Hanna represented the North Coast until the 1968 redraw.  25 was held by a Dem for two terms until he lost in 1966.  I don’t think that district included any of OC (included El Monte and West Covina).  32 was never held by a Dem.
Where were 25/32 located? It seems 25/32 were GOP (Wiggins and Hosmer). Who was Inland? Who was Long Beach?

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »

I believe so.

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.
Inland was Wiggins. Long Beach was Hosmer. In San Diego, did Lionel Van Deerlin (D) represent South County?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 12:18:27 PM »

I believe so.

I was looking at it pre-1968 redraw.  After the redraw, 25 picked up Yorba Linda in OC, which was held by Wiggins (he defeated a Dem in 66 pre redraw).  32 had Long Beach and was held by Hosmer.  Inland was Hanna and Wiggins.
Inland was Wiggins. Long Beach was Hosmer. In San Diego, did Lionel Van Deerlin (D) represent South County?

Yep. VanDeerlin represented all of the Mexico border (37).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »

I believe so.

Was the Hispanic vote a major factor in electing Patterson and Van Deerlin (their districts are now represented by Correa and Vargas)?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »

I believe so.

Was the Hispanic vote a major factor in electing Patterson and Van Deerlin (their districts are now represented by Correa and Vargas)?

I would think that it was a factor given that both districts included most of the Hispanic voters in each county.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »

I believe so.

I would think that it was a factor given that both districts included most of the Hispanic voters in each county.
What were Hanna, Patterson, Hannaford, and Van Deerlin like? Average liberals, Berniecrats, or Blue Dogs?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »

I believe so.

What were Hanna, Patterson, Hannaford, and Van Deerlin like? Average liberals, Berniecrats, or Blue Dogs?

They were all pretty middle of the road.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »

I believe so.

They were all pretty middle of the road.
The answer is average liberal. Wiggins was a staunch Nixon supporter. What was Hosmer like?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »

Did the arrival of large numbers of Asians cause the Democratic incumbent on OC to lose in 1978?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »

Did the arrival of large numbers of Asians cause the Democratic incumbent on OC to lose in 1978?
Hannaford’s district is now Lowenthal’s. Hannaford lost because Watergate was over and Vietnamese immigrants were very GOP at the time.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies