school uniforms? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:39:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  school uniforms? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: school uniforms?  (Read 19645 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: May 23, 2004, 10:56:09 AM »

I support them for the reasons I stated on Page 5 of the Presidential Voting Thread:

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=3848;start=60
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »

almost all jobs have a uniform or a dress code, does that make the police, the army, the fire department, hospitals fascists?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 11:53:11 AM »

The only place where I might approve of School Uniforms is on teacher's bodies.
They have this unfortunate tendency of obscuring the difference between the rich and the not-so-rich and highlighting the difference between those and the really poor. I had ample time to study that effect in India...

Surely wearing own clothes could do that too, the rich would probably tend to wear designer clothes while the poor would wear cheaper clothes.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 12:01:04 PM »

The only place where I might approve of School Uniforms is on teacher's bodies.
They have this unfortunate tendency of obscuring the difference between the rich and the not-so-rich and highlighting the difference between those and the really poor. I had ample time to study that effect in India...

Surely wearing own clothes could do that too, the rich would probably tend to wear designer clothes while the poor would wear cheaper clothes.
The rich are in a minority...

Sorry, I mis-read your original post, a bit tired, been working most of the day.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »

almost all jobs have a uniform or a dress code, does that make the police, the army, the fire department, hospitals fascists?

but you choose to work at those places.

Not necessarily, military service is compulsory in some countries.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 12:54:06 PM »

You ahve dess.-codes at work... butr then again, you CHOOSE your job, right?
I mean, Going into a Garage, repairing a car... with a blazer? Funny pictue, but impractical Wink.
Usually, you choose a job because it interests you, and the clothing comes with it.
Now, you HAVE to go to school, you have absolutely NO choice.
So, you are pushed into a school, forced to wear clothes you probably absolutely hate... and spend 8 hours a day in a place you cannot escape and where everbody looks the same?
Also, a dresscode, like companies have it, is no uniform.
Military is an entirely different matter anyway, police and them simply have to be recognizable, and hospitals and such need clothing wich fits the enviroment (going into hospital with red clothing, or a fabric that might easily carry dust and therefore germs would be plain stupid).

Also, I doubt I would have learned better in a more Uniform enviroment at school.. actually, I often MISSED something like colors, and could hardly write exams unless I cauht a place near the window Wink.
So, for some, it might make things easier... but I think I would have had a harder time focusing!

Technically, you don't HAVE to go to school, you can get home-schooling if you want.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 03:49:48 AM »

Do you actually have an argument against them?

You just seem to keep saying they are bad, but not why or why it is better we wear our own clothes.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 09:06:16 AM »

you are only top 3, we're top 2.

And the top school, and third school, both have uniforms too.

In fact, 9 of the top 10 do-Uni High comes in at 5th.

Actually, it was just a guess.. but we are up there somewhere (very near the top).  Besides, you're comparing apples to oranges... I bet here 9/10 top schools don't have uniforms... maybe even 10/10.

I thought you said no schools there did though, some in Australia do and some don't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies