DC Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  DC Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DC Primary  (Read 8395 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2004, 06:11:09 PM »

One possible solution wouldbe to give the inhabited parts of DC, including Georgetown, back to Maryland, and keeping a small federal district along the Potomac where almost no one lives permanently.
jravnsbo

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2004, 06:16:32 PM »

I like it how it is, I guess.  RAther do it this way than give votes to dems in VA and MD.

M--check out the fantasy elections thread and the important registration forum for the vote, thanks! Smiley

One possible solution wouldbe to give the inhabited parts of DC, including Georgetown, back to Maryland, and keeping a small federal district along the Potomac where almost no one lives permanently.
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2004, 08:10:44 PM »

[
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Why does a state show an ability to do something to get representation? I don't get what you mean. What has North Dakota ever done?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm not sure what the qualifications were for statehood, but they had to meet certain standards of population and governance.  Today, DC has a population less than a congressional district would be allocated so IMHO is too small on that basis alone.  Make them a territory like Guam!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2004, 08:13:52 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2004, 08:20:44 PM by htmldon »

That is an excellent idea - and gives the people of DC the representation they want.  And after all, that's what you Democrats are after, right? Smiley

Washington, MD - I like it already!

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2004, 09:15:29 PM »

Jravnsbo, I appreciate your honesty. At least you admit that you don't support DC statehood because it would be bad politically for the GOP. That's more honest than trying to make up some BS reason for why DC shouldn't get equal representation, since there are no other logical reasons to deny them representation in Congress.

However, you are correct that it won't happen anytime soon unless there starts to be a national demand for action, since the Republicans in Congress would oppose it.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2004, 09:42:19 PM »

Eh, we don't want DC.

As for Governor Ehrlich, he refuses to pass anything that could help MD's budget problems until he gets his legalized slot machines.  Every time slots comes up in the General Assembly, it gets shot down. Essentially, he's just acting like a big baby. I don't know why people in MD like him so much.

Then again, Kennedy-Townsend wouldn't have been much better.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2004, 09:57:38 PM »

Jravnsbo, I appreciate your honesty. At least you admit that you don't support DC statehood because it would be bad politically for the GOP. That's more honest than trying to make up some BS reason for why DC shouldn't get equal representation, since there are no other logical reasons to deny them representation in Congress.

However, you are correct that it won't happen anytime soon unless there starts to be a national demand for action, since the Republicans in Congress would oppose it.

If DC gets representation, then why not Puerto Rico, The Virgin Islands, Guam, American Somoa... where does it end?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 12:27:53 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2004, 12:28:29 AM by htmldon »

The only way to make it happen is going to be with a compromise.  I dunno, maybe Guam or the Northern Marianna Islands could become a state in exchange for DC? Smiley (Both have GOP Governors)  Or Puerto Rico if we could get the PNP to totally federate with us rather than being split between national Republicans and national Democrats.

If we're going to be honest here, let's face it - this issue has nothing to do with giving people representation, its about politics.  Democrats want a free uncompetitive two seats in the Senate and voting seat in the House and we don't want you to have two uncompetitive free seats in the Senate and voting seat in the House.  If all Americans deserve equal  representation, then all people who are under American control should be encompassed by a state, so we would have to have the State of Guam, the State of NMI, the State of the Johnston Atoll, etc.

If DC gets representation, then why not Puerto Rico, The Virgin Islands, Guam, American Somoa... where does it end?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2004, 12:30:38 AM »

And if DC gets close to becoming a state, you can guarantee that we will try to split Idaho into two states to get two free extra Senators!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2004, 06:06:26 AM »

The only way to make it happen is going to be with a compromise.  I dunno, maybe Guam or the Northern Marianna Islands could become a state in exchange for DC? Smiley (Both have GOP Governors)  Or Puerto Rico if we could get the PNP to totally federate with us rather than being split between national Republicans and national Democrats.

If we're going to be honest here, let's face it - this issue has nothing to do with giving people representation, its about politics.  Democrats want a free uncompetitive two seats in the Senate and voting seat in the House and we don't want you to have two uncompetitive free seats in the Senate and voting seat in the House.  If all Americans deserve equal  representation, then all people who are under American control should be encompassed by a state, so we would have to have the State of Guam, the State of NMI, the State of the Johnston Atoll, etc.

I think a stronger case could be made for DC than for Puerto Rico, etc, b/c DC is inhabited by Americans and is a part of mainland America. What are the current rules of Puerto Rico, etc. are they counted as part of a state, or are they completely without representation as well?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies