Chet Edwards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chet Edwards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Chet Edwards  (Read 2958 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2006, 02:28:56 AM »

what about the cities in the lonestar state?  arent they trending at least slightly more democrat than they have in the past?  dallas? san antonio? even houston?

All depends on what you mean by cities.  Are we talking about metro areas or just city proper?  Don't forget about Texas suburbs in the equation.

I'll list some stuff and watch as jimrtex corrects me.  Smiley

Recent statewide elections:
Dallas (city): votes about 65%-35% Democrat.
Dallas (county): votes roughly even (slight Democrat maybe)
Fort Worth: (city): votes roughly 60%-40% Republican.
Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex (including Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano, McKinney, everything): votes roughly 60%-40% Republican

Houston (city): votes about 60%-40% Democrat
Harris (county): votes about 55%-45% Republican (leans towards Republican a little more sometimes)
Houston (metro, including Ft. Bend County, MontCo and Brazoria): votes about 60%-40% Republican

Houston and Dallas combine to about 1/2 of the state vote.

San Antonio (metro): votes about 55%-45% Republican (there are huge divides though: inner-city San Antonio, Hispanic and Democrat; suburbs, right-leaning of StatesRights

Austin (city): votes about 65%-35% Democrat
Austin (metro, including north of Austin, Georgetown, Round Rock, etc.): about roughly even, more of a libertarian streak.

El Paso (metro): about 60%-40% Democrat, same with Brownsville/McAllen (metro), Harlingen, Beaumont/Port Arthur (metro), more like 55%-45% Democrat, Laredo is 65%-35% in statewide races normally.

All other towns in Texas (50-100,000):  Tyler, Longview, Waco, Killeen, Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, Wichita Falls, I'm probably missing a couple.  Anyway, these places are not friendly to Democrats in statewide races.

That's really weird that San Antonio votes for Repubs, and Dallas votes for Dems.  I thought that both of them were the other way around.  Dallas is considered the Republican capitol, and San Antonio, being in southern Texas, I thought was a really liberal city.  Figures, though.  It doesn't surprise me that a city that ridiculously boring loves Republicans!  Wink
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2006, 01:38:22 PM »

what about the cities in the lonestar state?  arent they trending at least slightly more democrat than they have in the past?  dallas? san antonio? even houston?

All depends on what you mean by cities.  Are we talking about metro areas or just city proper?  Don't forget about Texas suburbs in the equation.

I'll list some stuff and watch as jimrtex corrects me.  Smiley

Recent statewide elections:
Dallas (city): votes about 65%-35% Democrat.
Dallas (county): votes roughly even (slight Democrat maybe)
Fort Worth: (city): votes roughly 60%-40% Republican.
Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex (including Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano, McKinney, everything): votes roughly 60%-40% Republican

Houston (city): votes about 60%-40% Democrat
Harris (county): votes about 55%-45% Republican (leans towards Republican a little more sometimes)
Houston (metro, including Ft. Bend County, MontCo and Brazoria): votes about 60%-40% Republican

Houston and Dallas combine to about 1/2 of the state vote.

San Antonio (metro): votes about 55%-45% Republican (there are huge divides though: inner-city San Antonio, Hispanic and Democrat; suburbs, right-leaning of StatesRights

Austin (city): votes about 65%-35% Democrat
Austin (metro, including north of Austin, Georgetown, Round Rock, etc.): about roughly even, more of a libertarian streak.

El Paso (metro): about 60%-40% Democrat, same with Brownsville/McAllen (metro), Harlingen, Beaumont/Port Arthur (metro), more like 55%-45% Democrat, Laredo is 65%-35% in statewide races normally.

All other towns in Texas (50-100,000):  Tyler, Longview, Waco, Killeen, Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, Wichita Falls, I'm probably missing a couple.  Anyway, these places are not friendly to Democrats in statewide races.

That's really weird that San Antonio votes for Repubs, and Dallas votes for Dems.  I thought that both of them were the other way around.  Dallas is considered the Republican capitol, and San Antonio, being in southern Texas, I thought was a really liberal city.  Figures, though.  It doesn't surprise me that a city that ridiculously boring loves Republicans!  Wink

The cities of San Antonio and Dallas both vote Democratic, typically.  I would say as of right now they are fairly even, though jimrtex probably knows more accurately.  My chart up above only lists the San Antonio metro. though, so there's not an accurate comparison.

Here's the confusion:  The Dallas metro area (including Fort Worth and all those suburbs, which are gigantic) votes more Republican than the San Antonio metro.  Bexar County, however, is more Republican than Dallas County.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies