Taxation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:54:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taxation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which system of income taxation do you feel should be implemented?
Progressive Tax

Flat Tax

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Taxation  (Read 1887 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2006, 08:51:30 PM »

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 09:00:13 PM »

We already have a progressive tax, and I think it should stay that way.  I don't favor the flat tax.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 09:01:54 PM »

Tax simplification is needed more than tax rate reform.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »

In my opinion a tax system which causes equal agony to everyone is the fairest. Then everyone has an incentive to see government be as frugal as possible with the tax dollar. Of the two choices I pick flat tax, although many of the flat tax proposals have very high deductables which defeat the "equal agony" concept.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:22:30 PM »

In my opinion a tax system which causes equal agony to everyone is the fairest. Then everyone has an incentive to see government be as frugal as possible with the tax dollar. Of the two choices I pick flat tax, although many of the flat tax proposals have very high deductables which defeat the "equal agony" concept.

I agree with you on the equal agony concept.  This is the best way to maintain more limited government, because people are much more likely to favor destructive expansion of government when they think somebody else is largely paying for it.

I think though that to achieve equal agony, a progressive system is more appropriate.  If tax rates are flat, the relative level of agony is much higher for those with lower incomes than for those with higher incomes.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

Definitely a progressive tax, though the difference in the rates between lowest and highest should be increased.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 10:13:06 PM »

I definitely support the progressive income tax, though I am open to ideas on how to reform it.  And as long as any tax reform proposal retains the progressive nature of the income tax, I would be more inclined to support it. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:00:54 AM »

Definitely a progressive tax, though the difference in the rates between lowest and highest should be increased.

I could not agree more - exempt more poors, and raise the top rate to at least 50% and preferrably 70%.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 10:28:34 AM »

Progressive tax
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 10:44:12 AM »

One way or another, the current tax system needs to be scrapped and started over from scratch.  Just like writing a computer program that you update repeatedly over time, you start creating issues where the program will crash where the new lines of code class with the old lines of code.  The same is true with our current tax system.

With a progressive tax system, the burden is shifted disproportionately to the higher income earners, sparing the "poor."  This is good, assuming the rich in the nation are still active income generators and do not abuse the current (endless) pages of exemptions.  With a flat tax system, each member above a certain financial standing position (aka, the "poor") are charged at the same percentage rate, with most deductions elimitated from the calculation. 

Personally, under either model, we need to ensure we tax people based on their total wealth, and not primarily on their income.  This is the only way the true rich people carry their proper percentage of burden, especially when the endless list of deductions are limited.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »

I favor a flat tax rate that exempts a certain amount of money before taxing it with the only added exemption being having more children/dependents. I'd say it's a simple system that considers the needs of the poor.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 12:05:06 PM »

Progressive tax easily

Dave
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 12:06:38 PM »

Our current system creates reverse incentives. It rewards failure and punishes success. If you are not working and have no income government gives you free medical care via Medicaid and food stamps as well. On the other hand if you work hard to achieve success government punishes you by taxing the hell out of you and you cannot get medicaid or food stamps either.

Also, at a time when perhaps people should be thinking about having smaller families, government rewards you for having bigger families by giving exemptions for dependents.

A truly flat tax system would tax every dollar of income from the first to the last at the same rate. It would largely eliminate the need for filing taxes. The amount withheld from your paycheck would be the exact amount you owe on your wages. Similarly taxes on dividends and interest could be withheld by the payor, so there would be no need to file. The only hiccup would be capital gains which would still be a pain in the neck. I would prefer not taxing capital gains.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 07:30:40 PM »

Wow.  I figured the poorhaters would pull at least 50% here.

Good work, gentlemen!
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »

Flat tax-at 0%
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 07:52:22 PM »

Wow.  I figured the poorhaters would pull at least 50% here.

Good work, gentlemen!

They must be doing something else today.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »

What was I thinking?  Of course you are right!!!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 12:25:18 AM »

Ideally, the less taxes there are, the better the tax system is. However, to be pragmatic, taxes are a necessity in the modern world. There should be a moderately small tax rate- not so large as to be oppressive, and not so small that the government must resort to deficit spending just to fund essential programs. The tax system should also be progressive- otherwise, undue burden would be placed on the poor.

What would be an interesting tax system to try out would be Niel Boortz's FairTax- although since, to my knowledge, no similar tax system has been tryed before, the FairTax plan may have some unintended adverse effects on the economy.

And speaking of poor haters- I'm back to my yellow avatar. Grin
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 01:21:12 AM »

I'd say for now keep it as is and have the government start to move towards privitzation and reducing the deficit.  After we eliminate the deficit and generate a suprlus, then we can look to cut income taxes, eventually down to 0% for everyone.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 06:53:47 AM »

Whether a tax is progressive or flat is less important than whether it is high or low. A low, mildly progressive tax is certainly acceptable (though not preferable).
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 10:36:01 AM »

I say flat tax. Everyone pays the same rate, but the rich still pay more.

Im so smart. lol Kiki
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies