Strategic Vision: NJ Sen. Kean (R) 32%, Menendez (D) 30%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Strategic Vision: NJ Sen. Kean (R) 32%, Menendez (D) 30%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Strategic Vision: NJ Sen. Kean (R) 32%, Menendez (D) 30%  (Read 7396 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:44:30 AM »

A new poll by the Republican polling firm Strategic Vision shows Republican challenger Tom Kean, Jr. leading Senator Robert Menendez.

According to the poll, 22% of New Jerseyians have a favourable opinion of Kean.  9% have an unfavourable opinion of him and an astonishing 69% say they are undecided.  For Menendez, 25% have a favourable opinion of him, 14% unfavourable and 61% are undecided.

Voters are certainly decided about the performance of President Bush, however.  60% of Jersey voters disapprove of his overall job performance; 34% approve.

On the contentious issue of Roe v. Wade, New Jersey aligns firmly in favour of Roe.  58% do not want the Supreme Court to overturn the ruling, 31% do.

The poll also finds that 47% of voters approve of Governor Jon Corzine, 30% disapprove and 23% are undecided.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »

Menendez leads Kean 42%-37% in the latest Farleigh Dickinson poll:

http://publicmind.fdu.edu/gains/
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »

This is the GOP's biggest chance of a pick-up. Early days, and an awful lot of undecideds. Menendez has a few months to make a positive impression on New Jersey at large

Dave
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 01:59:05 AM »

Hmm, that sounds like wishful thinking. Wink
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 07:31:58 AM »

Great News... normally i'd lean towards a Democratic candidate but in this race NJ needs a decent Senator and Kean has a far better chance of being that "new broom" than a hack like Menendez... hmmm Senators Kean and Casey along with DeWine's re-election will make my evening in November Smiley 
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:18:13 PM »

Great News... normally i'd lean towards a Democratic candidate but in this race NJ needs a decent Senator and Kean has a far better chance of being that "new broom" than a hack like Menendez... hmmm Senators Kean and Casey along with DeWine's re-election will make my evening in November Smiley 

I quite agree with you Smiley
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 05:51:24 PM »

Does NJ have any law about candidates needing a majority to take office, or will a plurality suffice? If any sort of appealing third party candidate emerges, it seems that Kean and Menendez could both easily end up getting in the 40's. 

No one seems to like Menendez much, but NJ is solidly Democratic, so you're going to end up with lots of voters who usually go Democratic, but don't really like the Democrat. Those people could probably be swayed by any sort of convincing Independent/Green or whatever. Hell, the Republican isn't even that extreme, some far-right candidate could also take away lots of votes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »

Does NJ have any law about candidates needing a majority to take office, or will a plurality suffice? If any sort of appealing third party candidate emerges, it seems that Kean and Menendez could both easily end up getting in the 40's. 

No one seems to like Menendez much, but NJ is solidly Democratic, so you're going to end up with lots of voters who usually go Democratic, but don't really like the Democrat. Those people could probably be swayed by any sort of convincing Independent/Green or whatever. Hell, the Republican isn't even that extreme, some far-right candidate could also take away lots of votes.

Beyond Louisiana, there are no states that use IRV, so no.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 04:20:51 AM »

Consensus is a wonderful thing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 04:52:14 AM »

So basically, New Jeyseyites don't like what they don't know, nor what they do know?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 05:00:46 AM »

So basically, New Jeyseyites don't like what they don't know, nor what they do know?

If this were not New Jersey, Kean would be way ahead.

But it is New Jersey.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 09:57:36 PM »

That it is Grin but the Democrats are the Senate minority and can't afford to lose New Jersey or anywhere else for that matter

Dave
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 02:17:04 PM »

The Republican party here is in only alittle better shape than in NY.  There is already massive in fighting in the Bergen County betwen moderate and conservative groups to get Kean's support in the primary.  Which ever side loses has vowed to not support Kean.  No Republican can win statewide in NJ with out a significant plurality in Bergen County.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 04:40:42 PM »

That it is Grin but the Democrats are the Senate minority and can't afford to lose New Jersey or anywhere else for that matter

Dave

Consensus with one of my ideological buddies is always nice Kiki (yay Ben!) and while I understand where you're coming from Hawk I don't have a party to root for so I can just back candidates I like. Grin
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 04:46:09 PM »

Dave

Consensus with one of my ideological buddies is always nice Kiki (yay Ben!) and while I understand where you're coming from Hawk I don't have a party to root for so I can just back candidates I like. Grin

So you like enabling these far-right whackos who are destroying our country?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 04:56:34 PM »

Dave

So you like enabling these far-right whackos who are destroying our country?

Kean and DeWine? Far-right whackos? What are you smoking today, ferny old boy? Wink
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »

Kean and DeWine? Far-right whackos? What are you smoking today, ferny old boy? Wink

Keeping them in the Senate means having Bill Frist & Rick Santorum in control of our country's legislative agenda.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 05:12:46 PM »

Keeping them in the Senate means having Bill Frist & Rick Santorum in control of our country's legislative agenda.

That's quite an accomplishment, given that one definately won't be in the Senate and the other is unlikely to retain his position. 
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

Kean and DeWine are unique in today's Republican party though.  Anyway, whenever Democrats come close in Red States Republican constantly crow that if people vote for them they'll be putting Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton in charge of the Senate.  If New Jerseyians do elect Tom Kean, they will be advancing the agenda of President Bush.  In the end, I believe this message repeated over and again will defeat Kean.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 05:25:24 PM »

That's quite an accomplishment, given that one definately won't be in the Senate and the other is unlikely to retain his position. 

Helps keep the Republicans in the majority, obviously.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »

Heh. Smiley

Furthermore, enabling Democratic left-wing whackos is no better than enabling Republican right-wing whackos. So until I can vote for a communitarian party I'll be picking and choosing my candidates. Grin
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »

Furthermore, enabling Democratic left-wing whackos is no better than enabling Republican right-wing whackos. So until I can vote for a communitarian party I'll be picking and choosing my candidates. Grin

We've already have 6 years of right-wing wackos running the country.

Isn't it time for a change??? Or are you still scared of the "Ted Kennedy boogeyman" (who doesn't have a leadership position anyway)?

The Dem leadership consists of Harry Reid, Dick Durbin and Byron Dorgan (policy director).
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »

Kean and DeWine are unique in today's Republican party though.  Anyway, whenever Democrats come close in Red States Republican constantly crow that if people vote for them they'll be putting Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton in charge of the Senate.  If New Jerseyians do elect Tom Kean, they will be advancing the agenda of President Bush.  In the end, I believe this message repeated over and again will defeat Kean.

Doesn't seem to work for Collins and Snowe in Maine, or Smith in Oregon, or Specter in Pennsylvania.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »

There probaly isn't anything that any of us can say to one another to get us off our respective partisan high-horses, so we might as well agree that we're all idiots and just let it stand at that.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »

We've already have 6 years of right-wing wackos running the country.

Isn't it time for a change??? Or are you still scared of the "Ted Kennedy boogeyman" (who doesn't have a leadership position anyway)?

The Dem leadership consists of Harry Reid, Dick Durbin and Byron Dorgan (policy director).

*12* Tongue

Not yet - the left still runs the Dems, the right still runs the Reps, and the rest of us scatter between the parties.  I'm talking about the policy positions each party takes and who they choose to represent them.

Personally, I would say the communitarians and libertarians are way underrepresented, especially in Congress, and that the left-liberals and right-conservatives are way overrepresented, especially in Congress. Until that changes, I ain't budging from being an Independent. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies