How to spot a baby conservative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:27:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How to spot a baby conservative
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to spot a baby conservative  (Read 4319 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2006, 10:07:59 AM »

This is cute Smiley

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1142722231554&call_pageid=970599119419

'Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative...'

'...A few decades later, Block followed up with more surveys, looking again at personality, and this time at politics, too. The whiny kids tended to grow up conservative, and turned into rigid young adults who hewed closely to traditional gender roles and were uncomfortable with ambiguity.

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning' into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective.'

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:18:23 AM »

hehehe . . . must be why Republicans are always more 'happier' than democrats.  Smiley

"Republicans happier than rivals"

Who are the happiest people in America?
    Conservative Republicans are among the most joyous, according to a survey released yesterday by the Pew Research Center for the Public and the Press, which found that 47 percent of respondents who were both conservative and Republican said they were "very happy."

The survey was specific. This isn't just ho-hum happy. This is emphatically happy.

The group was eclipsed only by well-heeled Republicans with more than $150,000 in annual incomes -- 52 percent were very happy -- and people who attend church at least once a week, with incomes of more than $50,000 a year. Half of them also said they had a happy mind-set.

(...Continuing down...)

The findings revealed that the Republican Party has an upbeat history: Republicans have been consistently happier than Democrats every year since the survey began in 1972, with up to a 17 percentage point lead. Republicans topped their rivals by 11 points even during the Carter and Clinton presidencies, according to Pew.

(Cont...)

hehehe . . . so either whining makes you happy, or being confident makes you less happy.  *laughs* 
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 12:29:47 PM »

Hmm, they just say their "happy" as a part of their insecurity Cheesy
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:30:21 PM »

Notice where the study was done.... Berkley
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

I am living proof this is crap.  I was really outgoing in preschool (I'm not now...).  I actually forced a guy to "marry" me and made my friends come to our "wedding".  I couldn't stop talking and running around and loved was a goody-two-shoes.

Kindergarten I stopped talking because I was teased alot, but I was originally outgoing.

Rin-chan
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:40:33 PM »

I am living proof this is crap.  I was really outgoing in preschool (I'm not now...).  I actually forced a guy to "marry" me and made my friends come to our "wedding".  I couldn't stop talking and running around and loved was a goody-two-shoes.

Kindergarten I stopped talking because I was teased alot, but I was originally outgoing.

Rin-chan

Then again, as you get older you could turn liberal. Tongue
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:08:27 PM »

It's hard to take seriously a study of political views that was centered in Berzerkeley, California, which isn't even part of the United States as far as I'm concerned.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »

It's hard to take seriously a study of political views that was centered in Berzerkeley, California, which isn't even part of the United States as far as I'm concerned.

College Republicans is the largest club at UC Bezerkley.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 03:14:37 PM »

I'm surprised the university hasn't expelled them.

In any case, I doubt many of those students are actually from the Berzerkely area originally.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »

In any case, I doubt many of those students are actually from the Berzerkely area originally.

Well most to be fair, the club is mostly just an easy way to get alchohol.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 03:52:10 PM »

Isn't that true of most college clubs?  They exist to get alcohol and get laid. Tongue

And contrary to popular misconceptions, Republicans have just as much fun at college as Democrats do.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »

Rin-chan

Then again, as you get older you could turn liberal. Tongue

That's not happening anytime soon, I can assure you. Grin

Rin-chan
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 04:25:22 PM »

Isn't that true of most college clubs?  They exist to get alcohol and get laid. Tongue

What about the "family values"?

On top of that Bezerkly didn't even qualify as one of the top 10 most liberal colleges in the US.

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 04:39:12 PM »

What about the "family values"?

On top of that Bezerkly didn't even qualify as one of the top 10 most liberal colleges in the US.

Hah, can't you tolerate a little contradiction?  We all have a little contradiction in us.  Remember these words:

I've seen a rich man beg
I've seen a good man sin
I've seen a tough man cry
I've seen a loser win
And a sad man grin
I've heard an honest man lie
I've seen the good side of bad
And the downside of up
And everything between
I've licked the silver spoon
Drank from the golden cup
And smoked the finest green

You probably know what song that is from.

I can't say about Berzerkeley the college, but the area around Berzerkeley is surely one of the most rabidly liberal areas of the country, and it is in this area that the whole study was based.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 12:26:37 AM »

'Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints?

Sounds just like me. I sense serious flaws in this.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 07:36:17 AM »

'Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints?

Sounds just like me. I sense serious flaws in this.

Thanks for being honest, man.  You're not exactly the stereotypical conservative...Tongue

This study can't possibly be valid.  It actually contradicts strongly my own personal observations, and being based exclusively in Berzerkely makes it completely useless as a political study.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 07:00:12 AM »

There was a similar study in Sweden that was conduceted secretly for a long time as some sort of military experiment. I remember that it reached only two statistically verifiable correlations between partisan self-identification and other variables:

Communists were more intelligent than the average
Social Democrats were less intelligent than the average
Conservatives were more interested in sports
Centrists were more interested in motor cycles
Liberals loved nature more (I think, I'm unsure about the liberals one)

The study doesn't seem big enough.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 09:32:32 AM »

Notice where the study was done.... Berkley

Yes, but they do (kind of) account for that further into the article.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 12:01:52 AM »

Well it is obvious why these things are true, Republicans get through the whole everyone's out to get me phase at a young age. Democrats however feel that people are stealing elections from them all the time and go through the phase later on so of course their paranoia makes them less happy than Republicans when they get older...

Yes this makes perfect sense...

lol

When you look at it that way...

I almost didn't recognize you in red!

Rin-chan
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 11:34:45 AM »

I conducted my own study on this and found that liberal babies were more inclined to "be that perverted kid in day care that grabbed everybody's testicles."

Thats because Liberals grab things by the balls if they have to get a point across. Wink
Foley
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »

I conducted my own study on this and found that liberal babies were more inclined to "be that perverted kid in day care that grabbed everybody's testicles."
Only when you paid them to.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »

Thats because Liberals grab things by the balls if they have to get a point across. Wink

OKAY, unnecessary mental picture...

*claws eyeballs*

*goes to watch American Idol*

Rin-chan
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies