Groupthink
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:25:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Groupthink
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Is this forum dominated by groupthink?
yes

no, peer pressure forced my hand, though

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Groupthink  (Read 11437 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 09:31:57 PM »

Well I for one am well known for my habit of following the crowd.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2006, 12:20:38 PM »

It is very predictable that anyone at this site who doesn't subscribe to the groupthink on a number of issues, will automatically be labeled 'extremist', 'luny left', etc
Proof that this sited is very dominated by groupthink can be demonstrated by the fact that anyone who responds with such descriptions as the above (extremist), merely states the opinion as if were a fact, and rarely if ever will provide any logical argument whatsover for their attack, and instead will often throw in one or two logical fallacies to demogogue the discussion even further.

I'm not sure you know what groupthink is.  How does the fact that there are a few members of the board who call everyone they don't like "loony left" prove that the board is dominated by groupthink?  For the board to be dominated by groupthink, you'd need something like 80% of the board all agreeing on every issue because they feel uncomfortable voicing dissent.  While that exists in some small form on a few issues, I don't see how it "dominates" the board.

Like I said this board isn't as bad as others, but it is interesting that you picked the figure 80% because at this point in time 79.2% have voted no.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2006, 12:33:47 PM »

It isn't entirely black and white. Some issues there is obviously disagreement on others there is a disturbing groupthink.
To say that this site is entirely 100% dominated by groupthink all the time
with no exception would be like saying there is no difference
between the Democrats and Republicans in Congress.
There is, however, more similarities than differences between the two
parties. One of the issues where I think that there is groupthink is
that few people on this site think third parties, IRV, and none of the above option are viable options. The problem with supporting the two party system is that within there isn't much oportunity for candidates who do not subscribe to the groupthink of their party to dissent or to win primaries.
It is rare for a Republican to stray from the party line. When they do it to much they are marginalized. The Democratic party is just as bad. The groupthink there is "It doesn't matter what a candidate believes or where s/he stands on an issue... WINNING is all that matters." Both parties are extremely elitist, dominated by an aristocratic mindset and controlled by corporate money, the so called liberal media is silent, and the Supreme Court lets them do pretty much what the want, the Constitution be damned.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 09:42:17 PM »

There isn't "groupthink" on this forum or at least not much of it. People continually voice their opinions and we have tonnes of lively discussion. If you want to see groupthink go to DU or Free Republic or any other one side only board. Compared to them we are about as independent as it gets. We have everyone from DanielX and Milk 'n Cereal to Jake to Texasgurl and Speed of Sound to Al to WMS. I couldn't think of a more diverse group of political opinions.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 06:52:12 AM »

It isn't entirely black and white. Some issues there is obviously disagreement on others there is a disturbing groupthink.
that few people on this site think third parties, IRV, and none of the above option are viable options. The problem with supporting the two party system is that within there isn't much oportunity for candidates who do not subscribe to the groupthink of their party to dissent or to win primaries.
It is rare for a Republican to stray from the party line. When they do it to much they are marginalized. The Democratic party is just as bad. The groupthink there is "It doesn't matter what a candidate believes or where s/he stands on an issue... WINNING is all that matters." Both parties are extremely elitist, dominated by an aristocratic mindset and controlled by corporate money, the so called liberal media is silent, and the Supreme Court lets them do pretty much what the want, the Constitution be damned.

You're aware of the fact that the forum uses preferential voting and thus a multiple party system for the Atlas fantasy elections?

Right?

A two-party system gives you two-party political traditions which makes it hard and to an extent undemocratic to change.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »

You're aware of the fact that the forum uses preferential voting and thus a multiple party system for the Atlas fantasy elections?

Right?

A two-party system gives you two-party political traditions which makes it hard and to an extent undemocratic to change.

I don't go to fantasy elections.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 03:20:58 PM »

Trivial groupthink is an important part of avoiding conflict in our society.  It is a matter of economy; no one wants to lose their best friend over a disagreement over a stick of gum.  The point at which groupthink becomes dangerous is when it leads to irrational decisions (Cinna the Poet Syndrome, if you will).  Since the general point of this board is to come and discuss, it seems unlikely that groupthink would become severe.

It seems like you are using "groupthink" to mean agreeing with the majority in a way which you see illogical.

Besides, I think that the anthem of "winning is all that matters" here is pretty ridiculous.  There are an exceptional number of people willing to vote for the opposition here, especailly considering that - in practical terms - only about a quarter of the population will change their party vote frequently in most places.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 03:37:15 PM »

Summary:  There is no group think, since I've yet to see a single topic on here where everyone agrees.

And let's remember, there are not only two-parties (both in reality and on fantasy forums), so the odds of groupthink traveling from here (if it even existed on here) to reality is incredibly slim.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 06:53:25 PM »

Summary:  There is no group think, since I've yet to see a single topic on here where everyone agrees.

And let's remember, there are not only two-parties (both in reality and on fantasy forums), so the odds of groupthink traveling from here (if it even existed on here) to reality is incredibly slim.

hahaha . . . it's easy to dismiss groupthink exists when you are an extremist and everyone agrees with your point of view.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 06:59:15 PM »

Right?

I don't go to fantasy elections.

....besides...
I seriously doubt anyone on that forum would want to hear any of
my weird fantasies...

Shocked
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »

hahaha . . . it's easy to dismiss groupthink exists when you are an extremist and everyone agrees with your point of view.

hahaha . . . that's cute.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies