Democrats for Bush (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Democrats for Bush (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats for Bush  (Read 11315 times)
NHPolitico

« on: January 19, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

Democrats' Miller will hustle for GOP's Bush

By JIM GALLOWAY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

U.S. Sen. Zell Miller, Georgia's rebellious Democrat, said Tuesday he will campaign at President Bush's side throughout the year.

Miller's first task in trying to seal the Republican president's re-election grip on his crucial Southern base will be to introduce Bush at a $2,000-a-head fund-raiser Thursday in Atlanta.

The lame-duck senator is to be accompanied by "other Georgia Democrats" who also will endorse the president, according to the Bush-Cheney campaign. But Bush officials would not identify the other Democrats.

Miller first endorsed the president for re-election in October. High-ranking Republicans said discussions about an active campaign role for the former Georgia governor proceeded from there.

"I think it was more or less understood. I'm not very much of an inactive person," Miller said Tuesday in a telephone interview. "I have said and strongly believe that the next five years will be crucial for the America my children and grandchildren will inherit. I want a commander in chief like George Bush. I want a man who doesn't suffer from analysis paralysis."

Miller, who in his first term as governor gave the keynote address at the 1992 Democratic National Convention that nominated Bill Clinton for president, said he doesn't know where or how he will be used by the Bush campaign. He would not rule out appearances in television ads generated from the $131 million already raised for the president's re-election effort.

"We are grateful for Zell Miller's support and look forward to campaigning with him over the next 10 months," Bush campaign spokesman Reed Dickens said. Miller also would act as "a top surrogate for the president," Dickens said.

State Democrats were somber, if not sullen, at the development.

"It's disappointing, but it's old news," said state Rep. Calvin Smyre (D-Columbus), who is stepping down as Georgia party chairman.

Bobby Kahn, a long-time ranking Democrat and a candidate to replace Smyre, said: "Senator Miller spent four decades building the Democratic Party in Georgia. He's undoing all of that in the twilight of his career, and it's a sad thing to watch."

Bush polls strongly in the South, but Miller's assistance could be crucial in Florida, for example, which still is considered competitive. One top Republican said Miller could become an important figure in such states as New Mexico and Arizona and in parts of the Midwest.

"This is a huge help for President Bush," said Merle Black, an Emory University political scientist who has studied the rise of Republicans in the South. "It's very interesting that [Miller] is even doing this."

Less than two years ago, Miller cut TV ads for a host of Democratic candidates in Georgia, including Gov. Roy Barnes, who was ousted in the 2002 election by Republican Sonny Perdue.

Black said Miller registers very well with the 10 percent of conservatives who identify themselves as Democrat and that he could be the one to lead them into the Republican fold -- although the senator himself refuses to switch parties.

Miller will introduce Bush in the same Georgia World Congress Center ballroom where on Monday evening he heaped praise upon the president in front of 1,500 members of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce. The senator had just returned from a week-long tour of Iraq.

Each person attending the Atlanta dinner received a copy of Miller's new book, a scathing critique of his fellow Democrats titled "A National Party No More."

In his speech, Miller compared Bush to legendary British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and condemned "Hollywood weenies" who opposed the war against Saddam Hussein.

"Sometimes, a short war must be fought to prevent a longer war," Miller, a former Marine, said. "Sometimes, the long view of history must be taken."

That green beret who said Kerry saved his life is a Republican. I bet they'll do a GOP Veterans for Kerry group.
NHPolitico

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 10:44:50 PM »

Hey I asked the question about Republican senator Lincoln Chafee. Did he vote against Iraq War and is it possible that he will jump to Democrats or to Independent??

Lincoln was the sole "no" vote on the GOP side. His colleague Reed voted the same way.
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 07:09:14 AM »

no he was courted along with Jeffords, but now why switch.  His switch would only put him in the minority plus his family has along history of being Republicans.  He tookt he seat over for his father when he died who obviously was also a GOP>

Hey I asked the question about Republican senator Lincoln Chafee. Did he vote against Iraq War and is it possible that he will jump to Democrats or to Independent??

I think if he votes like a Dem for the most part, he's fine.  A state like RI might react more favorably to a seniority argument and Lincoln will use that in every election.  Why start over at the bottom of the ladder?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies