2009/10 boundary changes. Part I: UPDATED (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:05:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2009/10 boundary changes. Part I: UPDATED (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2009/10 boundary changes. Part I: UPDATED  (Read 12789 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« on: April 02, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »

Its interesting seeing the varying effects of different swings on a regional basis.

If the last election was anything to go by then it’s highly likely that we’ll see strong regional variations in the election results.

Something that is likely to be exacerbated by the nature of the Party’s, Brown led authoritarian Labour Party, Cameron led liberal Conservative Party and… er… the LibDems Wink

I could imagine Labour doing well in certain types of seats that it has traditionally held.

The Tories should make progress beyond the national trend in the London and the South East* against Labour and the LibDems, what will be critical will be how well they do against the LibDems in the West Country and Labour in the West Midlands.

In the end I think the key battleground will be Redditch, Dudley, Wolverhampton etc… in the west midlands and to a lesser extent similar seats in the east midlands and south Yorkshire. Cameron’s conservatives can certainly drive home a traditional “Tory” advantage against Labour and the LibDems in the London Suburbs, Kent and Hampshire (etc…) but Cameron has yet to make much of an impact beyond there IMHO while at the same time Labour and Brown seem to have done little to cement their grip either.

In the end Birmingham Edgbaston should give us a very good idea of how the next election is going, what is more its usually one of the first “marginals” to declare.             

*I strongly doubt that Cameron will junk the standard Tory fair of some variation on a tough line on immigration, though no doubt it will be articulated on a fairly limited basis (heavily target on specific seats no doubt). Consequently I see no reason for the Tories to continue their progress in Kent.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 02:23:18 AM »

The changes in Northants actually help Labour a little, but not enough to over turn the new Tory majorities in Kettering, Wellingborough etc...

What will be interesting is Leicestershire Northwest, while Loughborough and Broxtowe will no doubt attract more attention, the result in Leicestershire Northwest will provide some interesting indicators for how the election is playing out across the rest of the region.

Corby is also an interesting seat, a sizable rural vote but also a large Labour inclined blue collar vote in the town of Corby itself, if the Tories win the seat they are probably making inroad amongst voters from lower income groups, the same could also be said to be the case of Leicestershire Northwest.

But I’m rambling…     
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies