Large and Mid-Size Corporate Heath Insurance Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Large and Mid-Size Corporate Heath Insurance Bill  (Read 3197 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »

Sponsor: Senator Brian from Family Guy

Sec 1.  Any corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship in Atlasia that has-

(a) over $20 million in average gross receipts over the past 3 years shall pay at least a 65% portion of their employee's health premiums towards a qualified health insurance plan.

(b) over $100 million in average gross receipts over the past 3 years shall pay at least an 80% portion of their employee's health insurance premiums towards a qualified health insurance plan.   

Sec. 2  Tax Credits

(a) Corporate employers who have to comply with these new regulations shall receive a tax credit of 10% of premiums paid on their Form 1120.

(b)  Partnership and sole proprietors shall receive a pro rata portion of the 10% credit on their Form 1040 after profits have been distributed.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:46:46 AM »

First of all let me state that I politically support moves that will see greater healthcare coverage of the general population, and that also rewards companies who help in providing this coverage.

However, I am compelled to ask what the constitutional justification for this legislation is, in particular section 1 (section 2, being a tax break, is IMO justified). Certainly it would have been justified under the Public Interest Amendment as a protection of those in employment, but the Senate in it's infinitesimal wisdom rejected that proposal.

Pending an adequate constitutional justification being presented, I will unfortuantely have to vote against this bill.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »

However, I am compelled to ask what the constitutional justification for this legislation is, in particular section 1 (section 2, being a tax break, is IMO justified). Certainly it would have been justified under the Public Interest Amendment as a protection of those in employment, but the Senate in it's infinitesimal wisdom rejected that proposal.

It would indeed be ironic, were the Public Interest Amendment to have been the only constiutional justification for this Bill, given that Brian voted against it

Why some progressive, and pro-environmentalist. Senators didn't support that Amendment, makes my blood boil. I argued there and then that it was not unreasonable providing it was used wisely

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 05:12:29 PM »

It would indeed be ironic, were the Public Interest Amendment to have been the only constiutional justification for this Bill, given that Brian voted against it

Why some progressive, and pro-environmentalist. Senators didn't support that Amendment, makes my blood boil. I argued there and then that it was not unreasonable providing it was used wisely

'Hawk'

Hey, I voted for the Public Interest Amendment. Grin
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »

Why some progressive, and pro-environmentalist Senators didn't support that Amendment, makes my blood boil. I argued there and then that it was not unreasonable providing it was used wisely
(Emphasis added)

That could be said of a lot of ideas, such as Communism, Fascism, Sharia, Imperialism, ...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »

Why some progressive, and pro-environmentalist Senators didn't support that Amendment, makes my blood boil. I argued there and then that it was not unreasonable providing it was used wisely
(Emphasis added)

That could be said of a lot of ideas, such as Communism, Fascism, Sharia, Imperialism, ...

The likes of Communism, Fascism, Sharia, Imperialism, ..... never even occured to me. This is Atlasia after all Smiley

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 10:03:31 PM »

Health care is very important, and it is the opinion of me, and likely that of my party that health care is a fundemental right. I applaud Senator Brian for this bill, and I hope that it may pass, barring its constitutionality. These baby steps are needed for the greater goal of universal health care for all Atlasians, which is something I support to the upmost.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 03:50:09 PM »

I am concerned that this bill oversteps government's boundaries, yet I admire its intentions.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »

How is it appropriate to force companies to take on the health care costs that the government is unwilling (and unable) to take responsibility for?

If you believe that universal health care is a fundamental right (or even something that simply should be in place), find some room in the budget for it however you can. Don't pass the buck to companies, because all y'all are going to do is make the market tank, big time.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 05:59:15 PM »

First, of all, there is no doubt in my mind that Senator Brian's Bill is well intentioned Smiley but I do have serious concerns as to its practicality. As for the consitutional dimension, I'll leave that to the experts Smiley

As you know prior to my election to the Senate, I headed a multi-million dollar family business, the Gray Plantation Company, which prided itself on being a good employer. I can't really call it my company anymore since I now only own 15%. The company does, indeed, contribute 50% towards the cost of its employees health insurance, in addition to which it has a Healthcare Benevolent Fund (totally financed by my family at personal cost to themslves). As a company not since the Great Depression have we ever had to lay off employees and we continue to thrive. This is in no small part down to good employment practice. We value our employees very much and in return we have their hard work and respect

However, this is an entirely voluntary action on the part of the Gray family; unfortunately, not all companies are as socially conscious as what we are and I do fear that added costs could lead to employees being laid off and that would only serve to stifle economic growth and increased dependency on welfare - and that is something, over hell and high water, I'm in the game to avoid

Therefore, it might be better if we:

1) Possibly sought to encourage Voluntary Large and Mid-Size Corporate Health Insurance Schemes - whereby each company or a conglomoration of companies have their own qualified health insurance plans by, possibly, offering favorable tax incentives for all corporations party to such schemes
2) Seriously thought about tackling spiralling health costs through tort reform or other measures

Not allowing for the FY 2007, the Health and Human Services Budget, from 1990 to 2006, has increased by around 273%. Serious attempts must be made at reducing costs. If we keep costs down, we keep insurance premiums down, and everyone's a winner. Make know mistake about it's the increase in health insurance premiums, which are causing thousands and thousands of Atlasian families forfeiting their insurance simply because they can no longer afford too financially

Personally, I believe that individuals, business and government all bear some moral responsiblity to see to it that all Atlasians receive good quality and affordable healthcare. The issue is to what extent

'Hawk'
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 06:28:01 PM »

I agree that Large Corporations should provide health care for their employees, but I don't think the law should require it.

If you see someone with their hands full while your hands are free, you will stop and open the door because you able to and it requires a minimal amount of effort on your part. You would be rude if you failed to do so, but you should not face a penalty for doing so. (But if you are in a similar situation, don't expect the same courtesy to be extended to you.)

I agree with rewarding tax credits to companies to do take care of their employees.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 09:39:01 PM »

Senator Hawk was correct, in my opinion, that this health care plan should be voluntary for companies.  To require companies to pay for this would be crossing the government's line, and, as Governor Festoon stated, would result in an economic downturn because of the sheer number of employees who would be fired.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:09:07 PM »

Also, the idea of giving tax breaks to companies that do contribute to their employee's health care is also a poor one. It simply is a backdoor way of government funding an often convuluted and excessively bureaucratic system without "really" funding it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 05:04:36 AM »

Also, the idea of giving tax breaks to companies that do contribute to their employee's health care is also a poor one. It simply is a backdoor way of government funding an often convuluted and excessively bureaucratic system without "really" funding it.

I think given the need to make healthcare insurance more accessible to those who can't adequately afford it, we should be exploring a range of options.

I will consider anything that goes along the lines of nurturing and encouraging employers, voluntarily, to take a bit more responsibility for their employees healthcare. I honestly think its an issue, where Atlasians can work together to achieve a greater good. The fact remains health costs are spiralling out of control. It's a situation where government, business and individuals, and possibly the labor unions, need to work together on

We're are the wealthiest nation on God's green Earth and the fact that millions of Atlasians are without health insurance is a terrible indictment on our times. It's by no means only government that has moral obligations to do what is for the best when it comes to the well-being of the people

'Hawk'
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 02:47:51 PM »

I agree with your first and last paragraphs, however, the way to provide health insurance to all these people is not by forcing companies to pay for it. I reiterate, why should the government force businesses to do what they refuse to do?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »

I agree with your first and last paragraphs, however, the way to provide health insurance to all these people is not by forcing companies to pay for it. I reiterate, why should the government force businesses to do what they refuse to do?

I wouldn't say nurturing and encouraging companies to take more of a responsilibity in the provision of health insurance is quite the same as forcing them too, as in mandating them by law

'Hawk'

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 07:01:39 PM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Sec 1.  Any corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship in Atlasia that has-

(a) over $20 million in average gross receipts over the past 3 years shall pay at least a 65% portion of their employee's health premiums towards a qualified health insurance plan.

(b) over $100 million in average gross receipts over the past 3 years shall pay at least an 80% portion of their employee's health insurance premiums towards a qualified health insurance plan.   

Sec. 2  Tax Credits

(a) Corporate employers who have to comply with these new regulations shall receive a tax credit of 10% of premiums paid on their Form 1120.

(b)  Partnership and sole proprietors shall receive a pro rata portion of the 10% credit on their Form 1040 after profits have been distributed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 07:02:09 PM »

Nay
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 07:23:36 PM »

Nay.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »

I can't vote without explaining the reasons why I must vote in the way I have decided.

There is no doubt in my mind that my learned colleague Senator Brian's Bill is well-intentioned but given the mandatory nature of it in that it would impose additonal costs on business, I fear that employers will use this as a reason, or worse still an excuse, for laying off staff, and that is something I don't want to see happen; therefore, I vote Nay . Probably the toughest vote I've had to cast thus far

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »

Aye
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 06:37:38 AM »

Unconstitutional. Nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 06:38:44 AM »

Nay.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 09:37:20 AM »

Nay.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »

This bill has enough votes to fail. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies