Braun to drop out!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:27:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Braun to drop out!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Braun to drop out!  (Read 7012 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2004, 11:46:11 PM »

FOX NEWS Breaking news is that Braun is dropping out!  more when it develops.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 12:02:04 AM »

Thank God!

One down, seven more to go.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 12:03:20 AM »

all i can say is.... its about time....
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 12:04:13 AM »

No dent to Sharpton so she left.  

all i can say is.... its about time....
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 12:04:31 AM »

well 8 to go , he he

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 12:10:06 AM »

not only is she dropping out shes endorseing dean for president. notice how she stood up for him when being attacked by sharpton
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 12:10:37 AM »

Moseley Braun to Quit Presidential Race

Thursday, January 15, 2004

Former Illinois Sen. Carol Moseley Braun (search) is ending her historic presidential bid, Fox News has confirmed. Sources have told Fox News she intends to endorse former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean (search).

With the clock winding down to the nation’s first presidential caucus in Iowa next week, Moseley Braun’s withdrawal winnows the crowded field of Democratic contenders to eight. The only major black woman presidential candidate in history, her decision to throw her support behind Dean may prove a helpful boost in what has been a week of fever-pitch attacks against the front-runner.

Requests for comment to the Moseley Braun campaign were not immediately returned. Officials close to the Dean campaign confirmed to the Associated Press that they expected Braun’s official endorsement on Thursday in Iowa. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity.

The officials said Braun approached Dean after a recent debate and told him she was considering dropping out and supporting his candidacy instead. During Sunday’s debate in Des Moines, Moseley Braun stepped in several times to defend the Dean against attacks by Al Sharpton (search).

The Moseley Braun campaign has virtually no organization or campaign cash left. She never broke out of single digits in national surveys, didn't qualify for several state ballots and ran up thousand of dollars in campaign debt. Even her own campaign manager, Patricia Ireland, had said publicly there was no way Braun could win the nomination.

Moseley Braun became the first African-American woman elected to the U.S. Senate in 1992. Representing Illinois, she was the first permanent woman member of the Finance Committee, a member of the Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee and a member of the Special Committee on Aging. After a term haunted by scandals, she lost her bid for reelection to Republican Peter Fitzgerald in 1998.

Moseley Braun did not have a major impact in the race for the Democratic nomination, but some political observers have viewed her presidential candidacy as an effort to reform her reputation.

PD
pd

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 12:12:42 AM »

This isn't necessarily good, you know. We want their vote to be as split and confused as possible.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 12:14:58 AM »

she has no vote pd
jravnsbo

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 12:15:27 AM »

true but she would get so few votes it wouldn't matter, she was nonplayer, to put it nicely.

This isn't necessarily good, you know. We want their vote to be as split and confused as possible.
PD
pd

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 12:16:31 AM »

true but she would get so few votes it wouldn't matter, she was nonplayer, to put it nicely.

I know, but every little bit helps.
jravnsbo

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 12:16:32 AM »

beneficiaries here:  Dean he gets an endorsement from it, which no surprise as she has been giving him softballs int he debates anyway.

And sharpton as now he is only black candidate and may help in a  close race in the south.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 12:33:59 AM »

You mean polling in the low single digits came as a shock to her?!
jravnsbo

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 12:36:42 AM »

Her candidacy was a joke anyway.  She was considering running for her senate seat again.  Then she said she didn't have enough money and so ran for President after talking to McAullife.  It was all a set up, to discriminate against Al! Smiley

You mean polling in the low single digits came as a shock to her?!
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 12:40:27 AM »

Al is the man... how dare they try to steal his votes... hes one of the only candidates who asks the real questions in the debate
jravnsbo

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 12:50:32 AM »

very true and he sure livens iup the debates and argueably wont he last one  AGAIN.

Al is the man... how dare they try to steal his votes... hes one of the only candidates who asks the real questions in the debate
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 12:54:27 AM »

one of the only reasons (besides supporting John Kerry) that I watch the debates is to hear the good reverand speek. jravnsbro who do your support for president in the dem primaries?
jravnsbo

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 01:04:19 AM »

Well being a big fan of the Presidents since i have met him and seen he is a genuine mana nd leader he has my vote.

However, I think Edwards would make the best foe (for the democrats) vs Bush, but I don't see him getting the nomination.  I have said over and over he should have waited until 2008, but he would have had a tough senate fight.

He looks young, is energetic, been running a positive campaign, can play to the Southa nd at least understand them and evenif can't win, would be able to help down ticket as he could relate to him int he South at least.  PLus if he wanted he could use his wealth if he needed.

I WANT the dems to nominate Dean though.  If the dems do it, he will lose and for sure cost the Dem seats in the South with his rhetoric.  

Lieberman would make a good prez, but dems will never nom him.  Same with Al and Kucinich--no chance.  

Gephardt could be a formidable foe but so establishment and everyone knows him as a failure inthe House on delivering.  

Clark-- As a fellow army officer, this guy is a joke.  How did he make general.  I do believe he stepped on others to get to the top as I always heard in army circles.  Plus he is Mr Conspiracy Theory and never can back it up and that further hurts his credibility which is already in question by 2 well respected generals.  

Kerry-- Well he has blown it I think.  Could make it, but the guy just always looks tired and worn out.  Then I have looked at his political record and tried hard to find meaningful accomplishments and there are few for 19 years int eh senate.  I do like his military record, but not that he then came home and protested.

Nader- may run or not, depends on nominee.  I am more Green than some republicans therefore i do like some of his ideas on environment, but not all.  (Did all dems thought I might as well do this one too)

one of the only reasons (besides supporting John Kerry) that I watch the debates is to hear the good reverand speek. jravnsbro who do your support for president in the dem primaries?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2004, 07:20:14 AM »

Wow!  So an African-American is endorsing Dean!  He isn't a white establishment racist!
jravnsbo

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2004, 10:14:46 AM »

But Braun isn't really seen as a leader of black america either.  

Plus I saw Rev Jesse Jackson with Wes Clark the other day.

Wow!  So an African-American is endorsing Dean!  He isn't a white establishment racist!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2004, 11:01:02 AM »

But Braun isn't really seen as a leader of black america either.  

Plus I saw Rev Jesse Jackson with Wes Clark the other day.

But she's something.  Many other black leaders, like Sharpton and Jackson, are reverse-racists.
jravnsbo

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2004, 11:46:01 AM »

I would agree with that.  But interesting split as Jesse jackson jr endorsed dean, but dad seems to be with clark.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
But she's something.  Many other black leaders, like Sharpton and Jackson, are reverse-racists.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 02:37:33 PM »

Jesse Jackson Jr. seems okay.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 03:03:15 PM »

how do u get those pictures for the candidates up
jravnsbo

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 03:17:33 PM »

see Democrats for bush forum for an explanation.

how do u get those pictures for the candidates up

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies