Did Bush Steal the 2000 election.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:20:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Did Bush Steal the 2000 election.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Did Bush Steal the 2000 election.  (Read 11569 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 03:22:51 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2004, 03:28:57 PM by jmfcst »

But I hold out the hope that my party WILL return to the more moderate values it had at the time of Lincoln and I have met several Republicans who also do.

You must be joking!  Lincoln explicitly labeled the policies of the Dems as “immoral”.  Just think if Bush made his whole platform about abortion.  Now, even though I would consider such a platform as “moderate” since it would speak the truth, the media would view it as most extreme.

---

So I'm staying Republican primarily because I am firmly for fiscal and personal responsibility, and against the government's interference in my life and my choices.

I’m all for fiscal and personal responsibility, but how has the government interfered in your life?

---

Nonetheless, in order to avoid labels and engage in MEANINGFUL AND UNDISTRACTED DIALOG with the right, left and center, I will change, for this forum, my status to 'independent' since that is, after all, the mindset I have

I figured you for a troll with your blue moniker because most Reps posting on the internet wouldn’t make the following statement:

<<Even the Supreme Court of the United States voted along partisan lines.  It became a game, which was not about truth, not about the will of the american people, but a game to see which party could bend the process in their favor.    I do not look upon this president with confidence as to his legitimacy, because being at ground zero I saw a lot of details, many or which were quite ugly.>>

1st)  the SCOTUS voted 7-2 (hardly partisan) that the absence of rules governing the recount was unconstitutional.  The 5-4 decision was on the remedy, which the 4 minority justices wanting the SCOTUS to overrule the Florida Supreme Court interpretation of Florida law , and the 5 majority justices deferring (as the SCOTUS does 99.9% of the time) to the state court for interpretation of that law.

2nd) there is no logical reason to question Bush’s legitimacy since he did have the most legally cast and tabulated votes in Florida.  And the subsequent media recounts have confirmed this.

---

You see, jmfcst, if you cannot look at your own value system and shine light upon its flaws, it owns YOU, you do not own IT.

Oh enough already!  If you want to discuss the historical facts surrounding the 2000 Recount or Lincoln’s 1860 GOP Platform then let’s discuss the facts.

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 03:57:49 PM »

Bush.. they did a recount in FL.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2004, 09:43:55 AM »

Bush won the election.  Every recount had him as the winner, no matter how the chads were counted.  Al Gore's preferred method actually increased Bush's margin.  And the recounts were done by the NY Times, hardly a bastion of support for Bush.

This doesn't even take into account that the networks called the state for Florida while the heavily Republican panhandle was still voting.  We don't know how many people ended up staying home because they thought Bush lost the state.

I don't believe the reports about people being denied voting rights because of race.  There were some registration errors no doubt, as there are in all elections.  If anything, this sloppiness usually favors the Democrats.  But I only heard people like Jesse Jackson making these charges, and he has ZERO credibility with me.  This is the same man who filed a lawsuit claiming that a Missouri man, who turned out to be dead, was denied his voting rights.  This was to get a judge to keep the polls open an extra hour only in heavily Democratic St. Louis.  Jesse Jackson is a malicious man who is only seeking to soil the election results with charges like this, and I don't believe him.

As far as the butterfly ballot in Palm Beach County is concerned, it was designed and approved by Democrats.  I find it interesting that no Republican ever came forward to claim that he/she voted erroneously for anybody but Bush.  Republicans think differently than Democrats, and I think most Republicans would have too much pride to publicly admit to such stupidity.  Democrats, with their ingrained victim mentality, tend to blame other people for their own mistakes, and therefore lack embarrassment about them.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bush won Florida, and with it the election.  If Al Gore had only carried his home state, Florida would not have been such an issue for him.  When I see him now, raving like a lunatic, I thank God for the narrow escape that we had from having this man as our president.
Lilman
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 07:16:37 PM »

I have created this poll because I want to see what people are thinking.

My answer is option 2 "We may never know for sure."

I haven't really heard the side of Bush supporters, so here is your chance to refute the claim that he stole the election.

The fact that this is still being debated is troubling, because it goes to the very heart of what it means to be an American.

Are you stupid? Bush won.
RReagan4EVER
motomoto4510645106
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2004, 09:52:56 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2004, 10:58:09 AM by RReagan4EVER »

Bush! It does not matter what Happend or what the Democrats say. BUsh is the 43rd President of the United States, And that's all that matters.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2004, 09:56:28 AM »

Bush! It does not matter what Happend or what the Democrats say. BUsh is the 42nd President of the United States, And that's all that matters.

43rd.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2004, 06:47:40 PM »

I live in Florida and was working from home at the time, so I was tuned in (with avid interest) to the election developments every day, all day long.  It is due to the twisting of laws and arbitrary decisions (which happened to seem VERY partisan) as well as whole blocks of voters that were prevented or impaired from voting (poor, black most notably, and elderly also) that my confidence in the election process plummeted.  Even the Supreme Court of the United States voted along partisan lines.  It became a game, which was not about truth, not about the will of the american people, but a game to see which party could bend the process in their favor.  I do not look upon this president with confidence as to his legitimacy, because being at ground zero I saw a lot of details, many or which were quite ugly.  I wish Bush had won an untained victory, or else that Gore had won decisively.  People were very divided due to this election.  It brought out the worst in some.  It revealed just how partisan people are, even (I thought) open-minded people.  It made me realize that it's not really about truth or fairness or justice, it's just about winning.  I thought I was on another sort of planet than this until the election of 2000.

Welcome to the fourm Florida.  These guys call you names like we are all still in third grade if they don't agree with everything that you say.  Troll seems to be the favorite rubrick of late.

I thought your posting was very astute and insightful.  As a native with an up close view of the local coverage and such, you have a great perspective to offer.  I agree with your analysis.  Neither side showed great restraint in arguing for their positions from a place of rightness.  They tried whatever tactic they thought might gain an advantage.

freedomburns
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2004, 04:23:16 PM »

Bush is obviously president, he won, but I will this.  On Nov. ?,2000 in Florida....more people headed for the polls that night with the intention of voting for Al Gore than did people for GW Bush.  Gore SHOULD be president right now.  
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »

Bush is obviously president, he won, but I will this.  On Nov. ?,2000 in Florida....more people headed for the polls that night with the intention of voting for Al Gore than did people for GW Bush.  Gore SHOULD be president right now.  

shoulda, woulda, coulda...

I don't think there is any way of knowing for sure who more people in Florida intended on voting for. All of the recounts left Bush ahead so Katherine Harris did her legal duty of certifying the results, that's all there is to it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2004, 09:43:51 PM »

I don't really know since I haven't done too much research into what actually happened in the 2000 election, but for those who hate Bush I think it'll be a lot more productive to campaign for John Kerry than it will be to argue to death whether Bush stole the 2000 election.  Since nobody can prove anything to anyone who matters, it's not going to change anything.  Getting John Kerry elected will.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2004, 08:05:27 PM »

Gratefully, the only votes that are counted are votes from people who are actually CAPABLE of executing their right to vote.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2004, 12:31:40 AM »

Well, I think that if it's obvious who the person intended to vote for, the vote should count. Hanging chads, dimpled chads, pregnant chads, etc., those should have all counted. If there was any kind of a mark on one candidate's name and one name only, it should count, as the probability is quite high that the person intended to vote for that candidate. Yes, there would be some votes counted that shouldn't be, but far more that would be counted that should be. Overall, you'd have a much more accurate count, even though it wouldn't be perfect.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

Actually, the SCOTUS agreed 7-2 that the recount was unconstitutional.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

what's SCOTUS?
qwerty
Dick Nixon
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2004, 02:41:20 PM »

SCOTUS is the Supreme Court of the United States.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004, 04:37:52 PM »

Well, I think that if it's obvious who the person intended to vote for, the vote should count. Hanging chads, dimpled chads, pregnant chads, etc., those should have all counted. If there was any kind of a mark on one candidate's name and one name only, it should count, as the probability is quite high that the person intended to vote for that candidate. Yes, there would be some votes counted that shouldn't be, but far more that would be counted that should be. Overall, you'd have a much more accurate count, even though it wouldn't be perfect.
Only in 2000.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2004, 07:33:25 PM »

Tear this apart if you want, I don't care.

George W. Bush lost the popular vote in 2000 by a little more than 500,000. Republicans can hide and candy cote this until Hell freezes over, it doesn't matter what the GOP says the fact is Bush lost the popular vote.

Bush did win what is IMPORTANT! He won the ELECTORAL VOTE! The ELECTORAL VOTE is what is IMPORTANT because when a candidate gets 270 of these votes they win the election. ELECTION 2000 showed these results:

George W. Bush: 271

Al Gore: 266

Democrats listen to this; ALBERT ARNOLD GORE, JR., LOST THE ELECTORAL VOTE AND THUS LOST THE ENTIRE ELECTION! Can I say it clearer than that? Popular vote means diddlily when compared to the Electoral Vote. You can hate the electoral vote with a rithing passion, but it still elects the president whether you like it or not.

Bush did not "steal" the 2000 Election, the Courts did not "steal" the election. Had the Democrats elected more president between 1968-1988 then they would have had more liberals on the Supreme Court thus electing their man Gore. But they were being humiliated by Nixon and Reagan from 1968-1988 (with the exception of Carter who served 4 measely years), so they could not appoint Supreme Court justices. The people who "stole" the election from Gore were:

Hubert H. Humphrey, George McGovern, Jimmy Carter, Wakter F. Mondale, and Michael Dukakis.

They "stole" it by not getting elected president and appointing liberals to the Supreme Court.

That is how the election was "stole" from Vice President Gore.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2004, 08:22:30 PM »

Hubert H. Humphrey should have become President. I never cared for McGovern or Dukakis. Mondale might've been ok.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2004, 08:25:06 PM »

Hubert H. Humphrey should have become President. I never cared for McGovern or Dukakis. Mondale might've been ok.

I like Hubert Humphrey, he was a good man and honest., No Watergate if Humphrey had been president.

Humphrey/Muskey, the last ticket of two purely honest men.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2004, 08:34:27 PM »

I'm the President of my class, for two years running. My friends and most of my teachers say "Lawrence, you're the next Hubert Humphrey." Like him, I'm talkative, friendly, and I love shaking hands.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2004, 01:04:43 PM »

who in the hell dredged up this misguided thread?  Let's look at Dave Liep's excellent election atlas and see...Let's see..  Oh, there it is:

Bush 271
Gore 266*

*one abstention

looks like Bush won.  Any more questions?
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2004, 01:25:16 PM »

I'd like to get rid of the electoral college. It was founded because the men back then thought American voters as ignorant backwoodsmen. I'd like to think we've progressed slightly since then.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2004, 01:27:55 PM »

I'm the President of my class, for two years running. My friends and most of my teachers say "Lawrence, you're the next Hubert Humphrey." Like him, I'm talkative, friendly, and I love shaking hands.

As for me I was also Student Council president, and also for two years. When I ran for reelection, against my own Vice President, I was reelected in a landslide.

I am a charismatic speaker and a passionate orator. Shaking hands is a diffiulty for me though.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »

Why? Mrs. Flynn, the teacher in charge of the elections came over to me and said "Lawrence, you won by a landslide." It made me happy to know my ratio of victory was 10-1 in an eight person field. Alot of my support comes from the fact that they know my ability in these fields. Shking hands and talking face to face is a strength of mine, as well as my charisma and fluency in the english language.

When I run for my third term, I'm going to say to my class:

"This is getting a little monotonous for us both, don't you think?"
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2004, 02:01:17 PM »

who in the hell dredged up this misguided thread?  Let's look at Dave Liep's excellent election atlas and see...Let's see..  Oh, there it is:

Bush 271
Gore 266*

*one abstention

looks like Bush won.  Any more questions?

Yes. What about the tens of thousans of people in Florida who were denied access to the polls because they had the same name as a convicted felon?
RReagan4EVER
motomoto4510645106
Rookie

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2004, 02:21:06 PM »

Sucks for them. The point is Bush is President and Al Gore is nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies