Call for a Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:28:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Call for a Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Call for a Constitutional Convention  (Read 3300 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:10:53 PM »
« edited: April 17, 2006, 02:12:38 PM by Emsworth »

The Amendment to Introduce a Parliamentary System to Atlasia has been defeated in the Senate, but other reform proposals have been put forward. For example, Governor Afleitch has suggested the creation of a sixth district. Furthermore, several citizens have called for the removal of unnecessary technicalities that are sometimes used to disenfranchise voters.

We have been promising voting reform for several months now, but nothing substantive has actually resulted in terms of constitutional amendments. I intend no disrespect, but I do not believe that reform will be accomplished by the Senate. Its agenda is already full; it will take a very long time for any new reform proposal to come up for debate. Senators have several other bills to consider; they cannot be expected to spend all of their time on voting reform. More importantly, participation is limited to just ten individuals, rather than the people as a whole.

In order to remedy this problem, I suggest that we call a constitutional convention. I am not suggesting that we should completely replace the current Constitution. The convention should be responsible for amending, not replacing, the Constitution. The Constitution authorizes us to call such a convention: "Upon application of the citizens of a majority of the Regions, the President, with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall call a Constitutional Convention to amend or replace this Constitution."
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:12:40 PM »

No.
The US Constitutional Convention was also called to amend the articles.
Guess how that turned out.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 02:15:05 PM »

No.
The US Constitutional Convention was also called to amend the articles.
Guess how that turned out.
There is no reason to believe that our constitutional convention will be as undisciplined as the U.S. Constitutional Convention. The Philadelphia Convention met in secret, and could therefore do whatever it pleased without fear of public review. Our convention, however, will be public. It will be far less likely to deviate from the expectation that it will only amend the Constitution, not replace it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 02:17:08 PM »

No, electoral reform has passed a few days ago but it was passed before an amendment could fix it. Peter's bill to amendment it will officially pass tomorrow and then we'll get to vote on that very soon.

WMS's amendment will be up next which will help fix the Jfern/Everett issue.

Besides that nothing is radically wrong that deserves a convention.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 02:25:29 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2006, 02:49:56 PM by Emsworth »

No, electoral reform has passed a few days ago but it was passed before an amendment could fix it. Peter's bill to amendment it will officially pass tomorrow and then we'll get to vote on that very soon.
That reform only affects voting procedures. But procedure was never really the major issue. There are several other concerns that should be considered, including:

- Whether a parliamentary system should be adopted
- Whether the timing of elections should be fixed or flexible
- Whether the number of districts needs to be changed
- Whether regional senators should be abolished
- Whether regional senators should continue be appointed, or be elected
- Whether voters should be allowed to edit their votes in cases of error
- Whether any of the other technicalities in Article V should be removed

I am not necessarily in favor of all of these reforms (for example, I oppose a parliamentary system). However, I still believe that each of these ideas deserves a full discussion and vote, not just in the Senate, but in a convention of the people.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:34:51 PM »

I have thought about it. I agree that we need to make some changes. I am leaning no, but not completely.

What is strange though is after the last two presidential elections, someone starts a thread "What needs to get done?", people post what they think needs to get done, then very little of that actually gets done. Would another CC increase that likelyhood? Or would the CC end up like the "What needs to get done?" thread.

I am not necessarily in favor of all of these reforms (for example, I oppose a parliamentary system). However, I still believe that each of these ideas deserves a full discussion and vote, not just in the Senate, but in a convention of the people.

Agreed. I would say anything real life or related to the game rules should be done in one overall vote, while the only things restricted to only the Senate would for things that exist only inside Atlasia.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 02:38:33 PM »

I dont know. It might be a good idea. Maybe we could set limits on how much the convention can do? Just a thought.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 02:45:18 PM »

Would another CC increase that likelyhood? Or would the CC end up like the "What needs to get done?" thread.
I will not claim that I can predict, with 100% accuracy, what the convention will end up like. However, I will say that a convention offers more flexibility than the Senate. The rules and procedures of the Senate are relatively rigid. (Proposals must wait for their turn on the agenda, the procedure for voting on amendments and motions is somewhat cumbersome, and so forth.) With a little more flexibility, I think that we may work out a reform proposal more efficiently. Or, we may end up by deciding that the current system is fine right now. Either way, a convention would probably put the issue to rest once and for all.

I dont know. It might be a good idea. Maybe we could set limits on how much the convention can do? Just a thought.
Yes, I don't think that there would be anything wrong with doing so.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »

I fully support this call, and I request that Preston open a plebiscite on this issue immediately for the Southeast to voice their opinion.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2006, 03:51:12 PM by Governor Afleitch »

I would be willing to support a Constitutional Convention that was as open and transparent as possible. As others have said, it must have a clear aim, one that can result in change or continuity but one that looks at issues from representation (as I was looking at adressing in my 6th District proposal) to voter registration and participation.

This should be a 'bottom up' convention, that puts the citizens at its heart and has them as it's driving force. Public servants can legislate for change, but it should be the citizens who ultimately direct the debate.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 03:58:51 PM »

The federal government cannot call a constitutional convention until a majority of the regions have requested it. Therefore, I would like to ask Governor Afleitch to open a referendum on whether the Mideast should request a constitutional convention. The vote could be held this weekend, along with the normal vote on propositions and initiatives.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 04:05:19 PM »

I support this call, as a Nation grows and gets new people it changes and our constitution should do the same.  
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 04:14:17 PM »

The federal government cannot call a constitutional convention until a majority of the regions have requested it. Therefore, I would like to ask Governor Afleitch to open a referendum on whether the Mideast should request a constitutional convention. The vote could be held this weekend, along with the normal vote on propositions and initiatives.
I ask the same of Governor Jas.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 04:18:16 PM »

This is a great move. I commend Emsworth for broaching it and also ask Gov. Kramer to administer a vote.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »

I am willing to hold a vote to coincide with this months elections. If however other regions call a vote before then, I will open up the booth alongside theirs.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 04:34:23 PM »

Maybe we should have a vote on weather to have a vote.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »

Maybe we should have a vote on weather to have a vote.

I concur with Bono.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 04:38:29 PM »

Might I ask why such a complicated procedure is necessary? Under this line of reasoning, we might as well have a vote on whether to have a vote on whether to have a vote. It would be more straightforward for each region to directly proceed to a vote on whether to request a constitutional convention or not.

The convention's decisions will not be final; the regions will have a chance to ratify or reject any proposed amendments.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 04:39:16 PM »

I am willing to hold a vote to coincide with this months elections. If however other regions call a vote before then, I will open up the booth alongside theirs.
Same here
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 05:02:46 AM »

I am fairly hesitant as to whether a constitutional convention is warranted at this time, however, as our routine Midwest vote comes up this weekend, I have no problem with adding this question to the ballot paper.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 05:24:27 AM »

Well I see no harm in calling for a Consitutional Convention should it be the consensus among Governors to hold plebescites and if a majority of the Regions agree, then fine

I'm not suggesting that the Second Constitution needs to be replaced in its entirity (far from it), and in that respect concur with Emsworth, but it would, from what I can gather, enable the Convention and Regions to consider a number of amendments en bloc rather than each and every one of them being determined in a peacemeal fashion, which is the case as of now

Dave 'Hawk'
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 12:01:47 PM »

Well I see no harm in calling for a Consitutional Convention should it be the consensus among Governors to hold plebescites and if a majority of the Regions agree, then fine

I'm not suggesting that the Second Constitution needs to be replaced in its entirity (far from it), and in that respect concur with Emsworth, but it would, from what I can gather, enable the Convention and Regions to consider a number of amendments en bloc rather than each and every one of them being determined in a peacemeal fashion, which is the case as of now

Dave 'Hawk'

I concur with Senator Hawk. I think another convention would be the best way to deal with the issue of electoral reform once and for all. When the second constitutional convention was convened we were tasked by the Senate and the President with the creation of a new constitution. I believe that if the President and the Senate lay forward that the convention will only deal with changes to the constitution focusing on electoral issues then we will not see a scraping of the Second Constitution nor a complete rewrite.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »

While we're at it, I would like to ask Governor Alcon to hold a referendum in the Pacific on whether to request a constitutional convention.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »

I agree, Emsworth.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »

I am fairly hesitant as to whether a constitutional convention is warranted at this time, however, as our routine Midwest vote comes up this weekend, I have no problem with adding this question to the ballot paper.

I believe it would be wise to do so, Governor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies