Opinion of Chick Tracts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:20:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Chick Tracts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: You know what to do...
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Chick Tracts  (Read 13558 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2006, 12:50:16 PM by Senator Virginian87 »

Taking this from a discussion in the "Hawkeye" thread of The Atlas board.  What do you guys think about these things?  If you don't know what I'm talking about, click on the link in Hawkeye's signiature. 

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:13:16 PM »

Positive, they're f'ucking hilarious. Always good for a laugh.

I remember a bumper sticker in the bathroom of the Triple Rock in Minneapolis that had just an excerpt from one that was hilarious, it was the anti-Christian rock one which claims all rock music is evil including Christian rock and showed a Christian rock band being signed by a "record label executive" who happened to have a 666 on his forehead who told them they had to sign it in blood. Oh, and after they did that, he laughed about how their souls now belonged to him. Hmmm, I should ask any bands I see touring if they've ever ran into anything like that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:30:10 PM »

They're funny until you realize that someone actually believes all of that.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »

They are bat guano insane.  And  probably more than a little evil too.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:45:22 PM »

I always assumed that they were a parody.  Now I wonder...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:49:04 PM »

I always assumed that they were a parody.  Now I wonder...

There's no way someone could suffer under such a severe case of tongue-jaw impaction for that long.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:30:28 AM »

Some are a little extreme but others are based on biblical teaching whether you can accept that fact or not.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:49:25 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2006, 01:51:17 AM by Senator Gabu »

I thought I'd post what I wrote in that other topic of my summary of Chick Tracts that attempt to prove someone wrong, given that it's relevant to this topic:

Bad person: "I AM ANGRY RAAAAAR NOBODY BETTER GET IN MY WAY BECAUSE I AM SO RIGHT AND I HATE EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME"

Protestant Christian: "Hello sir.  I am the Protestant Christian, and that means that I am, of course, the most polite person you have ever met, in stark contrast to bad people like you, who are always very angry in an obvious attempt to compensate for the fact that you are not a Protestant Christian.  You are wrong."

Bad person: "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAR HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM WRONG RAAAAAAAR I HATE YOU SO MUCH TIME TO GET CRUSHED"

Protestant Christian: "I disagree with your opinion because these Bible verses prove them wrong.  I hope you will casually ignore the fact that this is entirely irrelvant because you don't believe the Bible is the Word of God, and as such, you have no reason whatsoever to take these verses at face value."

Bad person: "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT HOW CAN THIS BE THE BIBLE DISAGREES WITH MY OPINION NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Protestant Christian: "For whatever reason, the Bible, which you have never cared about until this moment in your life, has completely convinced you that I am right and you are wrong.  Isn't that great?"

Bad person: "GOD BLESS THE BIBLE, IT IS SO RIGHT THAT BIOLOGY TEACHERS ARE CRUSHED UNDER ITS WEIGHT EVEN THOUGH THEY AREN'T CHRISTIAN AND EVEN THOUGH IN REAL LIFE THEY WOULD WONDER WHY THE HELL THE PERSON IS USING BIBLE VERSES TO TALK ABOUT SCIENCE"

Protestant Christian: "Isn't Jesus grand?"

Bad person: "I AM SO GLAD JESUS SHOWED ME THE LIGHT, IT IS CERTAINLY REALISTIC THAT I OFFERED NO SUBSTANTIAL OPPOSITION WHATSOEVER AND INSTEAD JUST TRIED TO ATTACK YOU WITH AD HOMINEM ATTACKS AND THEN IMMEDIATELY DECLARED DEFEAT"

THE END

---

The fact never fails to crack me up that Chick always makes the non-Christians in his tracts raving, abrasive lunatics and always makes every Christian a calm, collected, sensible sort.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 05:57:36 AM »

Actually a very large portion of religious Americans would agree with Chick on some level.  For example:

Some are a little extreme but others are based on biblical teaching whether you can accept that fact or not.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 06:37:42 AM »

Actually a very large portion of religious Americans would agree with Chick on some level.  For example:

Well, considering all Christians see Jesus as the son of God, and Jack Chick is a Christian, it's pretty much a given that they'll agree on some things. That doesn't imply however that Jack Chick is mainstream Christianity.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 07:46:39 AM »

I agree with BRTD. They always give me a good laugh, so I love 'em. Grin
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 08:45:04 AM »

They are a steaming pile of sh...
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 08:55:44 AM »

Very easy to accept, which shows the insanity of Christian beliefs.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 09:14:46 AM »

Thank you for finally saying something intelligent.  I actually like them and have a positive opinion of them and every time I see someone in a subway station, shopping mall, or freeway rest area giving them out I take as many as they'll give me and read it cover to cover.  My favorite one is "Big Daddy?" with the ape-man wearing a mortarboard on the front cover.  Most of my colleagues bitch and moan about them.  I guess either they have weak senses of humor, or you and I are warped.  Either way, I like them very much as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2006, 11:16:56 AM by opebo »

Thank you for finally saying something intelligent.  I actually like them and have a positive opinion of them and every time I see someone in a subway station, shopping mall, or freeway rest area giving them out I take as many as they'll give me and read it cover to cover.  My favorite one is "Big Daddy?" with the ape-man wearing a mortarboard on the front cover.  Most of my colleagues bitch and moan about them.  I guess either they have weak senses of humor, or you and I are warped.  Either way, I like them very much as well.

The Nazis were kind of funny too.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »

BRTD, I think you may find the description of th emusic industry is not entirely inaccurate.

My favorite is Dark Dungeons.  In that one I learn that if you play D&D long enough, your friends will teach you real magic.

I've played for 20+ years now.  My friends have yet to teach me real magic.

My conclusion:  I have defective friends.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 01:02:19 PM »

My favorite is Dark Dungeons.  In that one I learn that if you play D&D long enough, your friends will teach you real magic.

What's also hilariously wrong with that one is that every last one of the people playing are women, lol!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »

All of you who dislike Chick must also dislike King Jesus.

First of all I'm sure we traditionally call him Jesus Christ, unless you have an aversion to Greek. Secondly Chicks inspiration to publish these tracts  came from the Chinese Communists - he knew all about propaganda and false messages Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 02:21:19 PM »

I like them; they are very funny. But I hate their intent more then I like their humour; so negative.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »

But any real christian can not ignore the Bible or Chick tracts
Apparentally I can, cause I do. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 02:28:05 PM »

Don't read other peoples mail (the Bible) and complain about what it means, please.

Last time I checked Chick tracts are not the Bible, and Jack Chick does not have sole license to interpreting what the Bible means.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »

I believe Jesus  said it best" Many will hate you because of me."
All of you who dislike Chick must also dislike King Jesus.

Yes, but disliking Jack Chick is not a direct cause to disliking Jesus.  Other things factor in...
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »

Jack Chick is hated because he has the guts to tell American Christians that they are not to be comfortable in their religion, that going to church doesn't save you, and that one must go out and tell others that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven. Most don't want to hear that so they call Chick names and tell people not to listen to him.

Jack Chick is a man of courage and I think we can agree with that. James A. Garfeild once said, "A brave man is a man who can look the Devil in the eye and tell him he is a Devil."

Call me radical if you want, I don't give a damn.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »

Jack Chick is hated because he has the guts to tell American Christians that they are not to be comfortable in their religion, that going to church doesn't save you, and that one must go out and tell others that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven. Most don't want to hear that so they call Chick names and tell people not to listen to him.

Jack Chick is a man of courage and I think we can agree with that. James A. Garfeild once said, "A brave man is a man who can look the Devil in the eye and tell him he is a Devil."

So you think the negative attitude towards him doesn't have anything to do with his anti-Catholic bigotry, which includes the attitude that Catholics aren't real Christians and they're going to hell as well as a plethora of conspiracy theories that pretty much blame the Catholic church for a heck of a lot of bad things in history, or his habit of demonizing and insulting everyone who disagrees with him(very un-Christian IMHO, seeing as Jesus told you to love your enemies), or the various other things that are just bat sh*t crazy(see D&D tract) or factually inaccurate if not blatant lies? It's got nothing to do with any of that?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 05:17:56 PM »

Im surprised that anyone can honestly believe any of that, but its Your opinion, not mine, Hawkeye PBrunsel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies