Opinion of Chick Tracts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:47:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Chick Tracts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: You know what to do...
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Chick Tracts  (Read 13573 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2006, 02:56:53 AM »

1. Let's see, first off you took the Lord's name in vain, breaking the second commandment - good job, very Christian.

I actually read an interesting thing about the second commandment.  I'm not sure if it's true or not (I haven't researched it intently), but supposedly, in the time around which the commandments were written, contracts were made "in the Lord's name" (this was literally said at the time of signing the contract).  Hence, to take the Lord's name in vain was to make a contract with every intention to break it.  Under this interpretation, the second commandment is actually essentially instructing people to keep their promises and not to enter into an agreement when they know they can't or don't intend to uphold their side of the bargain.

It would be interesting if true, and to me, God wanting people to learn the lesson of "keep your promises" makes a lot more sense than that of "don't say stuff like 'oh my God' because God doesn't like it or something".
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2006, 04:51:26 AM »

Bad person: "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAR HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM WRONG RAAAAAAAR I HATE YOU SO MUCH TIME TO GET CRUSHED"

Protestant Christian: "I disagree with your opinion because these Bible verses prove them wrong.  I hope you will casually ignore the fact that this is entirely irrelvant because you don't believe the Bible is the Word of God, and as such, you have no reason whatsoever to take these verses at face value."

Bad person: "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT HOW CAN THIS BE THE BIBLE DISAGREES WITH MY OPINION NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Protestant Christian: "For whatever reason, the Bible, which you have never cared about until this moment in your life, has completely convinced you that I am right and you are wrong.  Isn't that great?"

In other words, the same logic as a Total commercial.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2006, 04:54:45 AM »

Bad person: "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAR HOW DARE YOU SAY I AM WRONG RAAAAAAAR I HATE YOU SO MUCH TIME TO GET CRUSHED"

Protestant Christian: "I disagree with your opinion because these Bible verses prove them wrong.  I hope you will casually ignore the fact that this is entirely irrelvant because you don't believe the Bible is the Word of God, and as such, you have no reason whatsoever to take these verses at face value."

Bad person: "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT HOW CAN THIS BE THE BIBLE DISAGREES WITH MY OPINION NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Protestant Christian: "For whatever reason, the Bible, which you have never cared about until this moment in your life, has completely convinced you that I am right and you are wrong.  Isn't that great?"

In other words, the same logic as a Total commercial.

I have always suspected that Total is a tool of the Pat Robertson Christian right.  You can't have that few calories in such a damn fine-tasting cereal without some divine intervention.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2006, 05:27:59 AM »

"Katherine Helmond, would you switch from your old cereal to Total?"

"No, my old cereal and I are inseparable!"

"But Total has more fiber!"

"From now on, it is only Total for me, Katherine Helmond!"

[eats Total and smiles insincerely]
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2006, 05:21:15 AM »

They're interesting, and some do have a good message (definitely not all though!)
Comics like this made by liberal Christians would be awesome
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies