Opinion of Chick Tracts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:40:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Chick Tracts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: You know what to do...
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Chick Tracts  (Read 13551 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »

Dibble,

I know that Chick is anti-Catholic and that is a main reason he is not liked, but the reason I said is also a big one as well.

SoS,

I beleive every word I wrote, and it is true whether you beleive it or not. Chick tracts taught me how to witness and the importance of witnessing. I would wager a good many people have been converted by Chick tracts.
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 05:31:43 PM »

The Nazis were kind of funny too.

While there may have been some funny Nazis (though I can't think of any), Colonel Klink was neither funny nor a Nazi.  (You may be thinking of Major Hochstetter, who was also not funny imho, but he was a Nazi.)  Klink was, however, a German.  His real name is Werner Klemperer, and he was born in Köln, Germany in 1920.  I think he may have been the only bona fide German hired by that program's producers to play in the show.  Now, Klemperer's 1968 appearance on Rowan&Martin's "Laugh In" was very funny!  And his cameo on the Simpson's ("Last Temptation of Homer") was mildly amusing as well.

The more you know...
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »

I like the tract where Native Americans apparently can't fathom such difficult things as "words" and thus must be shown their way to being a good Christian through a picture book.

Clicky

Though the last panel is kinda cute Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 08:30:19 PM »

Dibble,

I know that Chick is anti-Catholic and that is a main reason he is not liked, but the reason I said is also a big one as well.

SoS,

I beleive every word I wrote, and it is true whether you beleive it or not. Chick tracts taught me how to witness and the importance of witnessing. I would wager a good many people have been converted by Chick tracts.

How can anyone be converted by them? They are full of blatant innaccuracies that anyone can poke massive holes in.

Do you really believe all rock music is satanic, including Christian rock, and rock artists are frequently asked by the devil to sign contracts in their own blood? Or that people who play Dungeons & Dragons always go on to try out real magic?

Oh, and of course his full length comic books in which he claims that the Nazi Party and Communist Party are both creations of the Roman Catholic Church, and that the Roman Catholic Church created Islam as a way to kill the Jews so that they could move the Vatican to Jerusalem.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 09:10:05 PM »

BRTD,

Fear is quite a converter, look at the Great Revival.

I can't say agree with all of Mr. Chick's ideals, but his tracts are truly a fine way t witness. I myself have converted a few of my friends with them.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 09:15:35 PM »

Your god approves of the use of fear tactics? Seems rather tyrannical to me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 09:18:21 PM »

They never scare me, I just laugh at them. So many of them are such a load of sh!t I see no reason to take any of them seriously.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »

Well I guess we'll end this thread there then. I approve of Chick tracts, you do not, I respect that, and now I end the debate.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 09:21:39 PM »

Well I guess we'll end this thread there then. I approve of Chick tracts, you do not, I respect that, and now I end the debate.

PBrunsel, sometimes I think you are a better man than all the rest of us combined Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »

I dont understand this whole 'witnessing' thing. Especially when they try to witness to Catholics.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »

fear tactics?  tyrannical?  these guys need to learn a thing or two.  Consider former Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Sa'id Al-Sahaf's admonition:  "God will roast your stomachs in hell!"  Or better yet, consider that poor Paki bastard who faces execution for conversion.  Conversion between roughly equivalent monotheistic religions, yet!  Or what about Akhenaten, the heretic King of the ancient New Kingdom of Egypt, who changed his name from Amenhotep the Fourth to Akhenaten when he decided that Aten was a better god than Ra.  What a choad.  Of course he alienated and reviled the aristocracy and the preists, who promptly went back to Ra when he "accidentally" died from hanging around too much with that bitch of a wife, Nefertiti.  We all know it was Ra who inspired Nefertiti to cause Akenaten's "accident"  There's a god you can respect.  And didn't Athena spring forth from her mother's womb fully armed?  Now that's every male god's hard-on I'd have to image.  She can bring home the celestial bacon and fry it up in a pantheon.  What a sexy goddess.  It's like Statesrights old signature with Ann coulter in neofascist black leather with a riding crop.  But Athena's better, she's a dominatrix and a god!  Boing!  But my favorite god has to be Tonatiuh.  That bastard lives for human flesh.  Ever noticed those claws on the side of the central figure on the sun stone?  (The so-called Aztec Calendar?)  Of course, Tonatiuh was no match for Cortez, not really a god but rather only a man, but still one who inspired fear on par with any god.  These modern gods--even those whose minions claim that their patrons will roast your stomachs in hell--are really very sensitive and politically correct gods  compared to the pantheon of gods that have existed over the millenia. 

Still, John, we're getting a little off-tract (if you'll pardon the jeu de mots).  You don't judge religious art by the amount of Political Correctness exhibited by the mythological beings contained therein.  You judge it on the same merit you'd judge any other literature or art.  Art that serves a purpose is deemed so useful, in fact, that governments worldwide have funded art since the dawn of civilization, and ours is no different.  For me, that particular brand of art, the Chicks Tract, serves a wonderful purpose for my soul:  it makes me laugh.  And therefore I maintain a positive opinion of the Chicks Tract. 

Keep an open mind, John.  Any self-respecting Libertarian should be far too enlightened to buy into the groupthink that demands disdain for Chicks Tracts. 

And smile once in a while.  Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:36 AM »

God is about what we'd call "tough love". He doesn't use a strong hand towards us out of intimidation or "tyranny" as you call it, God is love, but God is also justice and when one does wrong they should expect to be punished. Much like if a child does wrong so they should to be expected to get punished.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2006, 12:19:11 AM »

God is about what we'd call "tough love". He doesn't use a strong hand towards us out of intimidation or "tyranny" as you call it, God is love, but God is also justice and when one does wrong they should expect to be punished. Much like if a child does wrong so they should to be expected to get punished.

Would you approve if a parent, in response to a child doing something wrong, locked the child in the basement and proceeded to torture him for the rest of his life?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2006, 12:38:28 AM »

Would you approve if a parent, in response to a child doing something wrong, locked the child in the basement and proceeded to torture him for the rest of his life?

No, but God doesn't do that either.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2006, 12:50:10 AM »

If there is a god, he/she doesn't care about humans enough to bother being vengeful. Seriously; they might have a soft spot for us but 99.9% of their time would be spent on everything else in the universe.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006, 06:45:28 AM »

I'm sorry States, but "Worship me or burn forever" is just tyrannical to me. The Chick message is pretty much that one should worship God out of fear of hell - one need not love God, only fear him enough to worship him to avoid punishment. This isn't even fear of punishment for grave misdeeds and harm to your fellow man we're talking about(which I find reasonable enough) - this is punishment for not worshipping the correct invisible man in the sky.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you and I have discussed via AIM the subject of whether or not God sends all non-Christians to hell regardless of how they behaved in life - IIRC you seem to think he wouldn't. Frankly, I would think that any God who would send people to eternal torment simply for not worshipping him in life could not be considered loving. I would see such a being as vain instead.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 06:58:24 AM »

The Chick message is pretty much that one should worship God out of fear of hell - one need not love God, only fear him enough to worship him to avoid punishment.

You're spot on. To worship anything out of fear is neither righteous nor liberating. Jack Chick uses fear to promote his message (and yes it's his message, not Gods or Jesus' or whatever he wants to dress it up as)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006, 08:52:34 AM »

Just sad, really.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2006, 11:16:06 AM »

I can't say agree with all of Mr. Chick's ideals, but his tracts are truly a fine way t witness. I myself have converted a few of my friends with them.

Hah,hah, your friends are dumbs.

You poor sap, 'god' is a figment of your imagination.  If your imagination is being 'tough' on you, itis called masochism.  Which in your case calls to mind some comical images.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »

Hahaha, Hawkeye, you're so stupid its funny!! Hahahah!!!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2006, 09:08:49 PM »

I don't get it.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2006, 09:09:20 PM »

Hahaha, Hawkeye, you're so stupid its funny!! Hahahah!!!
So what you are saying Max, is that you you admit there is no way in Hell that you can refute my argument so you refer to name calling. It is you inolerant, inside the box, sheep brained, lib-frauds that make this world a sh**thole of vileness, the Devils own playground of foolishness. Thank you for using a libs best argument-name calling over facts.

You libs have such a bleeding hearted hatred of Chick because you know he is right and it frustrates the hell out of you  that he is. You feel guilty that you live in sin and  so you lash out against messengers of god.

Where is your tolerance now, you libfraud pack of wolves. You who speak out against Chick are just like the Jew pharisees that broke their own laws to silence Jesus so that they could live in their arrogance.

Facts over name calling, please.

You're wrong. I'm right. End of story.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2006, 09:25:32 PM »

So I'm the intolerent one now?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »

That's right. Only Catholics like me are right. Smiley
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2006, 10:19:56 PM »

You're wrong, heretic, I'm Catholic so I win.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies