End result all that matters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:33:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  End result all that matters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: End result all that matters?  (Read 3402 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2004, 02:04:51 AM »

Another thread inspired me to post a philosophy topic.

What this question asks, is whether the methods that we use to accomplish a noble goal should be used to judge its morality (and thus whether we should do it).  Would it be just to murder one innocent person to save a thousand?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 02:13:08 AM »

It depends, it really does.  If the end is something that absolutly must be achieved, then I would say that most means are acceptable, but there are certainly many ends that do not justify the means.

As for the specific question that you asked, I don't have the answer for it.  I'm not sure what I would do, but whatever I did do, it would never seem to be justified, although I would have to do it.  Understand?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

Definitely no, in my opinion.

The problem with "the end justifies the means" is that that's what the bad guys think. What makes the good guys the good guys is that they are above that. Clearly society will descend into chaos and anarchy if everyone is allowed to pursue what they think is the proper end by any means necessary. The "bad guys" think that they are right, and we are wrong, thus it's ok for them to destroy us. If we take the same mindset, how are we better?

There has to be some limit, some moral absolute that divides us.

That's just my take though. Flame away. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 10:29:38 AM »

YES
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 01:04:29 PM »

If we don't focus on the methods we use to achieve goals, we'll end up falling into a never-ending life of corruption, cheating, and immoral methods to get what we want, and the story goes on from there.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 01:07:30 PM »

But is it ok to cheat to achieve something noble?  Normally corruption and cheating are used to accomplish bad things.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 01:12:10 PM »

But is it ok to cheat to achieve something noble?  Normally corruption and cheating are used to accomplish bad things.

Is it okay to use corruption to achieve something noble? Not in my opinion, although I did enjoy the movie "Boondock Saints."
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 01:58:53 PM »

I vote yes, but only of we look at the truly end result, and not just some intermediate result.  

So if our society uses corrupt means to achieve some specific just end, but those means lead us gradually to an immoral society, then we haven't really achieved a good end result.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 06:26:11 PM »

Hm, I agree with Soulty. It depends. Was it OK to bomb Dresden and intern a lot of innocent Japanese during WWII? Not really, but it was part of a greater struggle, and I cannot see that any of it led to a generally more immoral society. It depends a lot on the situation. Generally, I'm inclined to say no, but i voted yes on the poll, since I think that it's overall more important. I mean, if the end result is bad, that's bad...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies