Incumbent DeWine (R) with Fairly Big Lead Over Brown (D) in Ohio (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:19:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Incumbent DeWine (R) with Fairly Big Lead Over Brown (D) in Ohio (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Incumbent DeWine (R) with Fairly Big Lead Over Brown (D) in Ohio  (Read 20338 times)
Galactic Overlord

« on: April 30, 2006, 09:24:20 PM »

Eh....I wouldn't be so quick to throw out this race, though I still think DeWine will win.  DeWine still has scores of conservatives mad at him, which is bringing his numbers lower than they would be.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:06:12 PM »

good news!

dewine is horrible.  but brown should be flogged.

But WalterMitty the same poll shows Strickland crushing Blackwell by the same margin as DeWine beats Brown... and yet i thought Ohio would never vote for a "silly" populist Wink 

im still confidently predicting a blackwell victory.

Fair enough, but simply don’t see how either Brown or Blackwell climb out from their core bases of support and beat DeWine or Strickland respectively, I can see both DeWine and Strickland holding their bases while winning amongst moderates and independents, at the same time I just cant see either Brown or Blackwell doing the same… in fact the poll is very interesting, two moderates from separate parties seem to be (on this poll at least) cursing to clear wins in their respective races.

I don't think that's necessarily true of Blackwell v. Strickland.  Both candidates have opportunities to win votes in places other candidates probably wouldn't.  I expect Strickland to run better than Brown in the south central and eastern counties that made up parts of his former or current congressional district.  Blackwell, likewise, may improve upon Taft's 59% showing in Hamiliton County when he first ran for governor, as it is his home base and he has performed very strongly there.

Judging from every past race I could get my hands on, parts of the state vote pretty much the same way, with southwest Ohio, northwest Ohio, and the new suburbs around Columbus going Republican while the northeast and Cleveland votes Democrat.  That leaves Columbus and swing areas like Stark County as the major battlegrounds, and whatever percentage of the black vote Blackwell gets will also be an unknown factor.  There's also the chance that Blackwell's candidacy will inspire high turnout in fast growing suburban areas, which would necesitate Strickland picking off a huge target, like a 55%+ win in Franklin County to ensure he wins.  So this race is full of unknowns.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies