Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 03:52:27 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderators: Beet, Apocrypha)
| | |-+  Flag-burning amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Flag-burning amendment  (Read 7636 times)
classical liberal
RightWingNut
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 10:49:19 am »
Ignore

Wasn't the old custom to have a ceremonial flag burning if the falg touched the ground.  Something like "retiring the colors"?

"As for me, I'd rather live in a free country than a 'fair' one." --David Harsanyi

"What passes for optimism is most often the effect of an intellectual error." --Raymond Claud Ferdinan Aron

"The world is a rough and nasty place. Absent a change in human nature, it will remain so." --Robert M. Gates
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 11:50:46 am »
Ignore

flag-burners are basically ignored, therefore I don't see this as a threat worth spending time on.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
migrendel
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 01:59:43 pm »
Ignore

And I believe you have a Constitutional right to burn a cross as well. That's a legitimate form of expression of viewpoint on race that is known by the Constitution. However, I believe the state has a right to criminalize planting it upon your law, because that infringes on property rights.

Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Left/Right: -10.00

Registered in Massachusetts as a Democrat for Fantasy Elections, though now living in Rome.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 05:01:53 pm »
Ignore

And I believe you have a Constitutional right to burn a cross as well. That's a legitimate form of expression of viewpoint on race that is known by the Constitution. However, I believe the state has a right to criminalize planting it upon your law, because that infringes on property rights.

YOU support private property rights?  Or am I reading that wrongly?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 05:37:39 pm »
Ignore

3rd

I wanna contribute to the chaos
I don't wanna watch and then complain,
'cause I am through finding blame
that is the decision that I have made
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2004, 10:10:08 pm »
Ignore

I think if they want to burn our flag then they need to get the heck out of our country.  This is not freedom of speech, this is stupid. It needs to be outlawed and people who do this crazy crap needs to be put in jail!
WMS
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 0.35

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2004, 10:48:13 pm »
Ignore

Regardless of what you choose, be aware of potential consequences...during the First Gulf War, an anti-war protestor - who was white, by the way - in Albuquerque set a flag on fire, and a military man back from the Gulf - who was Hispanic, by the way - rushed him and broke the protestor's nose. It went to court of course, but the military man won, suffering no sanction at all. Perhaps not good for the First Amendment, although the government wasn't involved in this incident at all, but illustrative of the type of unofficial, grassroots response a flag-burner may get - not banned by any government, but quashed by their fellow citizens.
And I voted 'other'.

The political class has demonized the working class because the political class no longer represents the working class.  Neither Republicans or Democrats.
Political Beliefs Summarized:
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout