Lieberman (D) Leads Solidly in Connecticut
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Lieberman (D) Leads Solidly in Connecticut
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lieberman (D) Leads Solidly in Connecticut  (Read 4630 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:24:38 AM »

New Poll: Connecticut Senator by Rasmussen on 2006-04-27

Summary: D: 59%, R: 23%, U: 18%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »

Good Smiley

Dave
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:16:36 PM »

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY                                   
                 |      /            \    |
                 |      |           |     |
                 |            \/          |
                 |          ____       |
                 |         /        \     |
                 |____________|                 

Stupid alignment problems Tongue             
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:23:09 PM »

Good, very good.  I'll be happy if both Joe Lieberman and Bob Casey, Jr. (in particular) win their senate seats.  The Democratic Party needs to move more to the mainstream on cultural and national security issues, and the election of both these men will send a powerful signal that we as Democrats will not be held hostage by our left-wing activist base.   
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:35:27 PM »

Good, very good.  I'll be happy if both Joe Lieberman and Bob Casey, Jr. (in particular) win their senate seats.  The Democratic Party needs to move more to the mainstream on cultural and national security issues, and the election of both these men will send a powerful signal that we as Democrats will not be held hostage by our left-wing activist base.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:38:43 PM »

Good, very good.  I'll be happy if both Joe Lieberman and Bob Casey, Jr. (in particular) win their senate seats.  The Democratic Party needs to move more to the mainstream on cultural and national security issues

Joe Lieberman is clearly out of the mainstream when it comes to the Iraq War. He is aligned with the far-right nutjobs on that one.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 05:15:15 AM »

Good, very good.  I'll be happy if both Joe Lieberman and Bob Casey, Jr. (in particular) win their senate seats.  The Democratic Party needs to move more to the mainstream on cultural and national security issues

Joe Lieberman is clearly out of the mainstream when it comes to the Iraq War. He is aligned with the far-right nutjobs on that one.

He simply has a more sensible position that all you left-wing nutjobs. It isn't his fault that people are too ficlke to take a long term view of Iraq.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 07:57:09 AM »

He simply has a more sensible position that all you left-wing nutjobs.

The "left-wing nutjobs" (people who believe the Iraq War wasn't worth it) are now the majority in this country.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 06:47:19 PM »

He simply has a more sensible position that all you left-wing nutjobs. It isn't his fault that people are too ficlke to take a long term view of Iraq.

Very true Smiley. If the Left thinks disaffection with Iraq is going to lead Democrats on the path to victory they are mistaken. I'm dissatisfied with Bush et al's ineptness (to be expected really) but it was the right thing to do

Dave
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 01:27:41 AM »

I agree with you on Casey, and I support Lieberman

However

Joe is not socially conservative. He is an economic and foreign policy conservative, while being socially centrist.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 10:07:46 AM »

I agree with you on Casey, and I support Lieberman

However

Joe is not socially conservative. He is an economic and foreign policy conservative, while being socially centrist.

I'm well aware of that.  I suppose I should have made this clear from the start, but I picked Joe because of his stands on national security, and Bob because of his centrism/conservatism on social/cultural issues because that is what they are most widely known for, and how each is distinguished from the other. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 03:31:41 PM »

Look at the polls, most Americans do not agree with Bush and Lieberman on Iraq.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 02:21:43 AM »

Look at the polls, most Americans do not agree with Bush and Lieberman on Iraq.
Apparently, most people dont live in Connecticut. Wink Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:28 AM »

He simply has a more sensible position that all you left-wing nutjobs.

The "left-wing nutjobs" (people who believe the Iraq War wasn't worth it) are now the majority in this country.

I never stated that saying Iraq wasn't worth it makes you a left-wing nutjob. I stated that his is a more sensible position than that of left-wing nutjobs and that he can't be blamed that the majority of the American people don't get that.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 12:06:24 PM »

Does 'generic Republican' have a name?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 12:49:32 AM »

Any info on the Dem primary challenge to Joementum?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »

Good, the only Democrat I want to win is winning.  Now I can worry about the other races.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 03:16:49 PM »

The general election obviously is not going to be interesting, nor part of any larger theme in American politics (other than that Gov and Lt Gov are the only statewide offices the people of Conn are comfortable electing Republicans to now and for the forseeable future).

It's the primary that has potential to tell us something about the role of ideology of the Democratic Party and anything else you want to make of it.

And to those people who say that Lieberman is important to the party, I would ask why the people of Conn should be burdened with him.  Politics is local.  Some swing state, maybe, would be well served to house Joe, but for the same reason Oklahoma shouldn't feel bad about not electing "moderate" Republicans over extremists -- it is a task better left to some place like N.H., or R.I, or Maine.  Pennsylvania, a moderate state on the balance, will likewise get a "centrist" Dem as its Senator.  But since a Senator represents the state to the nation, rather than acting as an agent of the nation working in the state, Conn should expect someone in line with the state's values, not the nation's.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »

The left wing "nuts" are the only true Democrats.  No finnicky wishy washy losers like Ben Nelson, Joe Lieberman, John Kerry, and John Edwards.  What this party needs is to stand up for its principles.  Rallying the liberal base, which has been disillusioned by the aforementioned people, is critical.  We need more people like Ned LaMont and Russell Feingold.  Men and women who stand up for the moral positions even if they are unpopular with so called "moderates."
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 09:20:05 PM »

The general election obviously is not going to be interesting, nor part of any larger theme in American politics (other than that Gov and Lt Gov are the only statewide offices the people of Conn are comfortable electing Republicans to now and for the forseeable future).

It's the primary that has potential to tell us something about the role of ideology of the Democratic Party and anything else you want to make of it.

And to those people who say that Lieberman is important to the party, I would ask why the people of Conn should be burdened with him.  Politics is local.  Some swing state, maybe, would be well served to house Joe, but for the same reason Oklahoma shouldn't feel bad about not electing "moderate" Republicans over extremists -- it is a task better left to some place like N.H., or R.I, or Maine.  Pennsylvania, a moderate state on the balance, will likewise get a "centrist" Dem as its Senator.  But since a Senator represents the state to the nation, rather than acting as an agent of the nation working in the state, Conn should expect someone in line with the state's values, not the nation's.
I think you're ignoring the fact that regardless of his ideology (Which is rather center-left, really.  His only right leaning issue is that he is a defense hawk.), Joe Lieberman is of the upmost competency and maintains an honorably high level of integrity.  He is an asset to the Senate and to this nation.  We need someone like that who is willing to work with opposites sides and forge compromises.  To replace a great statesman like that with some hack nobody because he's purist on ideology would be an utter shame.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 09:23:08 PM »

The left wing "nuts" are the only true Democrats.  No finnicky wishy washy losers like Ben Nelson, Joe Lieberman, John Kerry, and John Edwards. 
You may be right about Kerry and also Edwards (who in ideology aren't anywhere near the other two, so why the hell did you group them all into one category?) to a degree, but Lieberman and Nelson are anything but wishy washy and are especially not losers.  There pragmatism is of the uptmost values and is much more honorable than the endless, substanceless Bush-bashing of others.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »

I think the Democratic party needs to be a big tent that houses moderate and conservative Democrats.  People like Gene Taylor and Dennis Kucinich still have things in common.  Especially in this year I think the party needs to reach out to moderates and conservatives.  Lieberman may be an irritant to the grassroots, but he's respected and from my own limited perception has done enough to justify another term. 
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 09:21:13 AM »

I think the Democratic party needs to be a big tent that houses moderate and conservative Democrats.

Yes, but Connecticut shouldn't have to house these "conservatives".  Conservative Democrats like Ben Nelson are great - because they're the best Dems can hope for in places like Nebraska.  But Connecticut deserves a senator more in line with the state's voters.

I think too many people are focusing on the party, and not on the state.  If Lieberman were from some place like Nebraska, I'd support him.  But he's just not appropriate for Connecticut.  For the nation, he is probably a very good thing, however.  But that doesn't mean he deserves re-election in his home state.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 09:55:09 AM »

Didn't you used be to coloured Red, i.e. Democratic? 
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 11:59:59 AM »

I think the Democratic party needs to be a big tent that houses moderate and conservative Democrats.

Yes, but Connecticut shouldn't have to house these "conservatives".  Conservative Democrats like Ben Nelson are great - because they're the best Dems can hope for in places like Nebraska.  But Connecticut deserves a senator more in line with the state's voters.

I think too many people are focusing on the party, and not on the state.  If Lieberman were from some place like Nebraska, I'd support him.  But he's just not appropriate for Connecticut.  For the nation, he is probably a very good thing, however.  But that doesn't mean he deserves re-election in his home state.

The people of the state of... any state... deserve whoever they are smart or stupid enough to elect.  Did it ever occure to you that people acctually chose to elect Lieberman?  I thing that you exibit a pretty elitist attitude by suggesting anything different.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies