Yet another reason why Killary won't win in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:56:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Yet another reason why Killary won't win in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Yet another reason why Killary won't win in 2008  (Read 4614 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:22:04 AM »

Yeah, this is a sure fire way to gain support, Killary.

"HILL SCOLDS LAZY GEN. Y"

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton lashed out at the instant-gratification generation yesterday, saying young adults "think work is a four-letter word."

"Kids, for whatever reason, think they're entitled to go right to the top with $50,000 or $75,000 jobs when they have not done anything to earn their way up," the Dems' 2008 White House front-runner said.

"A lot of kids don't know what work is. They think work is a four-letter word," she told a Republican-leaning audience gathered at the annual U.S. Chamber of Commerce convention.

"We've got to send a different message to our young people. America didn't happen by accident. A lot of people worked really hard. They've got to do their part, too."

A young adult who Clinton knows well, daughter Chelsea, 26, started a six-figure consulting gig in the New York office of London-based McKinsey & Company after receiving her master's degree from Oxford in 2003.

(Cont...)

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:34:22 AM »

She won't win anyway but I actually agree with her on something! Shocked
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »

Wanna guess what she says to the non Republican leaning audiances.......

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:56:20 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2006, 02:04:55 PM by nickshepDEM »

I dont get it.  I see nothing wrong with what she said.  I also see nothing wrong with Chelsea landing a job at McKinsey.  They're a top notch firm that recruits exclusively at the top universities in the world.  Its not like she was hired right out of high school.

So whats the point of this post?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »

I dont get.  I see nothing wrong with what she said.  I also see nothing wrong with Chelsea landing a job at McKinsey.  They're a top notch firm that recruits exclusively at the top universities in the world.  Its not like she was hired right out of high school.

So whats the point of this post?

I think it's a little hypocritical to lash out at people who expect to make $50,000 per year right out of school, when your daughter made over $100,000 right out of school.

I think Hillary is somewhat correct about this.  There are many younger people who came of age in a period of great prosperity and low unemployment, who have an entitlement mentality and are probably not prepared well for tougher times.

I think she's wrong in saying that young people don't want to work hard, though.  My experience is that they'll work very hard if they think there's a reward for them.

It's just more pandering by Hillary to try to appeal to certain voters.  She's all over the place so much that nobody knows what she stands for.  Maybe that's what she wants, because if people really knew what she stood for, she'd have no shot of winning.  Confusion is her friend.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 12:17:22 PM »

Kids are entitled to obtain high paying jobs right out of high school or college, desipite what Killary thinks.  That's what is wonderful about Capitalism.  If you have the skills which a market needs, and your salary requests match what they are willing to pay for, then let the big salary come in.  Now, will they get those high paying jobs right away?  Not normally, no.  But it doesn't hurt to try (reference the tech boom under Clinton).

Additionally, it is hypocritical for her to say such a thing when her daughter, who was just out of college, was able to land a salary higher than most people I know and work with who have decades of skills and knowledge compared to Chelsea's last name.  Her daughter is an example of what she's preaching against.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 12:42:30 PM »

Kids are entitled to obtain high paying jobs right out of high school or college, desipite what Killary thinks.  That's what is wonderful about Capitalism.  If you have the skills which a market needs, and your salary requests match what they are willing to pay for, then let the big salary come in.  Now, will they get those high paying jobs right away?  Not normally, no.  But it doesn't hurt to try (reference the tech boom under Clinton).

Additionally, it is hypocritical for her to say such a thing when her daughter, who was just out of college, was able to land a salary higher than most people I know and work with who have decades of skills and knowledge compared to Chelsea's last name.  Her daughter is an example of what she's preaching against.

There's nothing wrong with being rewarded for doing well if you have good skills and prove yourself. 

Hillary's right to say that it's wrong to expect that without having to prove yourself.  Still, I wonder why she singles younger people out for this criticism.  I haven't observed younger people to be any lazier than the general population.

Part of this is that Hillary is part of the 'superwoman' generation, and these women often resent the women who have followed them, and don't want to make the type of sacrifices that they have made.  They feel that it is a rejection of everything they have fought for.  This is a powerful sentiment among pioneer women's rights activists who are now in their 50s, and believe that younger women have let the movement down.  There could be an element of this thinking behind what Hillary said, but I think it's mostly just political calculation.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 12:53:45 PM »

I'm not a fan of Hillary, but what a pointless post.  There's a difference between your average high school graduate wanting a big salary and someone comming out of a very academically prestigious university with a great scholastic record getting a large salary.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »

I think Hillary is somewhat correct about this.  There are many younger people who came of age in a period of great prosperity and low unemployment, who have an entitlement mentality and are probably not prepared well for tougher times.

The last period of great prosperity and low unemployment that working people experienced was the 1960's, dazzleman.  Are you referring to Baby Boomers as 'younger people'?

There's a difference between your average high school graduate wanting a big salary and someone comming out of a very academically prestigious university with a great scholastic record getting a large salary.

Yes, and that difference is economic class.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »

modu, why do oyu dislike hillary so much?

she is certainly a moderate.  she has been a fine senator, certainly better than most.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »

she is certainly a moderate.  she has been a fine senator, certainly better than most.

Wally, I think her moderation is fake.  Everything that woman says is calculated.  Her core beliefs are far left, and she hides them in order to be elected.

What has she actually done as senator that you think is so great?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 01:52:54 PM »

Wally, I think her moderation is fake.  Everything that woman says is calculated.  Her core beliefs are far left, and she hides them in order to be elected.

i dont know if she has done anything 'great'.  but her voting record is probably similar to what mine would be if i were a senator.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 01:55:25 PM »

i dont know if she has done anything 'great'.  but her voting record is probably similar to what mine would be if i were a senator.

The answer is she really hasn't done anything that great.  She's tried to avoid controversy to help her run for the presidency.  Though I have no love for Chuck Schumer, he has been a more serious senator than Hillary, because he knows he can't ever be president.  Hillary is a showboat who is disguising her extreme liberalism.  I'm surprised you're fooled by it.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 02:01:47 PM »

The last period of great prosperity and low unemployment that working people experienced was the 1960's, dazzleman.  Are you referring to Baby Boomers as 'younger people'?

I know there are few people with a better finger on the pulse of the job market than you, opebo....Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »

There is a difference between your political ideology and your voting record.  I tend to ignore most voting records and focus more on what the person actually says.  Killary is a lot more to the left than people think, especially if all they focus on is her voting record or think that she's like Bill.  Bill was a populist, and as such, was more moderate than many Democrats.  Killary, however, wants to socialize programs through the federal government and expects everyone to pay for it through higher taxes.  "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good." - Killary, June 2004  Please, if you must have a Clinton, change the laws and re-elect Bill.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 06:07:20 PM »

Friggin baby boomer! She's like all the rest of them, they think they are God's gift to humanity. They were her last hope to get over 50% and she blew it- stupid, stupid woman!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »

Friggin baby boomer! She's like all the rest of them, they think they are God's gift to humanity.

You're just figuring this out....Tongue
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 06:45:46 PM »

I don't believe in free rides to the top, but I think young adults should be free to pursue whatever job they want and if it pays well, good for them.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »

Friggin baby boomer! She's like all the rest of them, they think they are God's gift to humanity. They were her last hope to get over 50% and she blew it- stupid, stupid woman!

Now we learn that not only is the conflict within the Democratic Party ideological -it is also generational. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 06:59:17 PM »

Now we learn that not only is the conflict within the Democratic Party ideological -it is also generational. 

I'm not sure he's right.  Older people vote in greater numbers than younger people.  I'm sure the comment was carefully calculated.

As I said, I don't really agree with her.  People can try to earn whatever the market will pay them.  If they can get somebody to pay them a lot, great.  If not, then Hillary better not be talking out of the other side of her mouth, and offering them all sorts of government assistance.  I don't trust that woman for a second.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 07:30:14 PM »

The answer is she really hasn't done anything that great.  She's tried to avoid controversy to help her run for the presidency.  Though I have no love for Chuck Schumer, he has been a more serious senator than Hillary, because he knows he can't ever be president.  Hillary is a showboat who is disguising her extreme liberalism.  I'm surprised you're fooled by it.

that is essentially my take on rudy giuliani.  everyone talks about how 'liberal' he is.  i think his 'liberalism' was largely a neccesity to be mayor of nyc.

i dont believe he is too liberal at all.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 07:35:04 PM »

that is essentially my take on rudy giuliani.  everyone talks about how 'liberal' he is.  i think his 'liberalism' was largely a neccesity to be mayor of nyc.

i dont believe he is too liberal at all.

He's conservative where it counts -- on law and order and limited government and lower taxes.  I consider that a good thing.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 12:30:30 AM »

hah-hope that bites her in the ass in 2008, but then again, most college kids are morons who would vote for her, even with that statement made.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 09:08:39 AM »

My favorite part of this article is the part where he bashes the baby boomers.  Truer words were never spoken.

EXPERT: SHE'S WRONG -
GEN. Y SAVVY & $TRONG

By IAN BISHOP and DEVIN SMITH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 'A lot of kids don't know what work is. They think work is a four-letter word.'
- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Convention
Photo: AP 
  Email  Archives
 Print  Reprint
 Feeds  Newsletters

May 13, 2006 -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton got it half right when she told the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that the instant-gratification generation thinks "work is a four-letter word," the chamber's expert on young employees told The Post.
The work guru, Rick Corcoran, said Clinton hit the nail on the head when she insisted Generation Y has an sense of entitlement - but missed the boat when she accused them of not pulling their weight in the American economy.

"These young people come out of college, and they have watched their parents lose their jobs, and they have watched the notion of loyalty go down the toilet," said Corcoran, who was in the crowd when Clinton ripped into the iPod brats.

"If you look at them in terms of the world of work today, they bring a different value system. They bring loyalty to themselves. They're not going to pay the price of 90 hours a week because they saw Dad lose his job after 30 years of busting his butt.

"They're going to find, in their 20s, the work-life balance that their parents have sought their whole lives."

But it's the Gen Y'ers in their 20s and tail end of Generation X'ers who've been driving the economy by dominating the high-tech field - the scientific sector that Clinton and President Bush agree America needs to dominate in order to succeed in the future.

"They've educated themselves and they're the most technically capable generation our country has ever seen," he said.

"And look where the entrepreneurs are: It's the 21-, 22-, 23-year-olds who are creating wealth," Corcoran said.

Corcoran said the "social contract is different today, and they embrace that difference" - the problem is with the baby boomers.

"Baby boomers are selfish. It's always about us. If it doesn't fit our paradigm, it's wrong. But the Chinese and Indians don't care," he quipped.

Clinton touched off the generation war Thursday, saying Gen Y'ers "don't know what work is. They think work is a four-letter word."

She added: "America didn't happen by accident. A lot of people worked really hard. They've got to do their part, too."

Clinton grumbled that today's youths "think they're entitled to go right to the top with $50,000 or $75,000 jobs when they have not done anything to earn their way up."

She made no mention of her daughter, Chelsea, 26, who snagged a six-figure consulting spot in the New York office of London-based McKinsey & Company after receiving her master's degree from Oxford in 2003.

The comments by the Democrats' 2008 White House front-runner is surprising considering how she's rolled out a massive marketing blitz to court them into her camp - and so far it has worked. Polls show 18- to 35-year-olds are her biggest base of support.

To woo them, she's Podcasting her speeches. And she famously hired, then fired, teen-marketing guru Gia Medeiros, who got the boot after The Post revealed Medeiros charged that 9/11 victims "weren't all good people."

At the C.W. Post campus of Long Island University, where Clinton will deliver the commencement speech tomorrow, her blast at lazy youngsters got a decidedly mixed reception.

"I don't know where she came up with that idea," said freshman Natasha Miro. "We're not just out for ourselves or, worse, out for nothing. We're involved in extracurricular activities, volunteer work and our classes. It's tough."

But there was also support for Clinton's claims.

"In the old days, you had to work long hours to get by. These days, it's different," said Oscar Martinez, a sophomore studying marketing. "Now there's the opportunity to excel quickly and make a quick buck. It's seductive."

"People don't work because they like it. They do what they have to do," said Martinez, 20. "If money grew on trees, nobody would work hard."

ian.bishop@nypost.com

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 09:45:28 PM »

I agree with the premise of what she is saying.  If I believed for two seconds that she acctually meant it (or anything else she says) then she might acctually have gained some respect from me.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies