More than 100% of the registered voters voted in WY?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:50:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  More than 100% of the registered voters voted in WY?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More than 100% of the registered voters voted in WY?  (Read 13353 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2006, 02:49:44 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2006, 09:53:50 PM by zorkpolitics »

Just happened to notice that according to the 2004 results:
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html
!05% of the registered voters in WY voted in 2004.  Besides fraud, is there an explanation for this?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:30:02 PM »

No clue. 

Besides, I can find no reason why someone would want to commit fraud in Wyoming, because it's not like it would really matter.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:31:23 PM »

Same day registration maybe?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 03:51:17 PM »

That would be my guess.

There are six states - Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Wyoming - with same-day registration.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »

That would be my guess.

There are six states - Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Wyoming - with same-day registration.

Well, then this explains it.  Next.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 05:54:46 PM »

Another reason is that Wyoming is booming in population. A lot of Michiganders are moving there for work.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2006, 08:34:21 PM by Alcon »

Another reason is that Wyoming is booming in population. A lot of Michiganders are moving there for work.

Not really, although that would be a good explanation if it was true.  Wyoming's population growth between 2000 and 2004 was significantly below national average.

Besides, that doesn't have much to do with voting turnout (that wouldn't make the number of same-day registrations that high).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 11:35:29 AM »

This question was asked before, and I said same day registration. I think someone disagreed though. I don't know what the option suggested was.

This has been known to occur in places with same day registration. In Nunavut's most recent territorial elections, I believe they had over 100% turnout.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »

Blue Earth county had 122.8% turnout. I think we had the highest in the nation.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=28732.0

Tongue
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »

Which makes areas with same day voting have these so called "turnout" stats useless. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 03:06:23 AM »

Which makes areas with same day voting have these so called "turnout" stats useless. 
Not really ... it's meaning is just a different one than implied.

Which of course is actually a consequence of non-compulsory registration, not of same day voting.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »

Not really ... it's meaning is just a different one than implied.

Which of course is actually a consequence of non-compulsory registration, not of same day voting.

Yes, but I would say that the vast majority of the country uses the standard defination of the word, which makes numbers like "122% turnout" pointless when trying to compare turnout across the country.  You can't have "122%" turnout, the highest possible is 100%, meaning that everyone voted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 04:10:46 PM »

Loving county, Texas also had greater than 100% turnout. Funny how the Republicans whine about voter fraud when its the Republican areas that exceed 100%.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 05:31:33 PM »

Loving county, Texas also had greater than 100% turnout. Funny how the Republicans whine about voter fraud when its the Republican areas that exceed 100%.

Not in 2004.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »

Not in 2004.

Does Loving County not have a mere 67 residents?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 05:18:48 AM »

Turnout in Loving was way down on 2000 - they attempted to clean the voter rolls - but it was still higher than the population.
Of course the extra votes are from people with ties to the region, mostly Loving natives, now living elsewhere. It's got some vicious local politics apparently (and amazingly) so people take care their relatives stay registered there to vote for them. Of course there's no way of proving these people voted elsewhere as well - some might have, some might not.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 06:38:29 AM »

Just looked over census 2000 results for the county - the median age is 45. Though 13 residents are under 18, only 3 are 18-34 (there are no women aged 21-34), and one of them's a Mexican. (Of the county's 7 Hispanics, 5 live in a 5 person family household, one, a 61 or 62 year old male, lives alone - he's easy to identify because he's the county's only resident to claim two or more races - , and one apparently lives in a household with an Anglo householder.)

adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 11:43:49 PM »

That would be my guess.

Yep, because I really can't see a reason to fix Wyoming. That would be way too much insecurity. Even for the GOP.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 05:25:19 PM »

That would be my guess.

Yep, because I really can't see a reason to fix Wyoming. That would be way too much insecurity. Even for the GOP.

There is really only one state in the entire country without competitive elections whatsoever, and it isn't Wyoming, although Wyoming is somewhat close.  No good reason not to fix it either, I suppose?  It's better that than disaster the next time there is a competitive gubernatorial race (which may happen after Freudenthal retires).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »

That would be my guess.

There is really only one state in the entire country without competitive elections whatsoever, and it isn't Wyoming, although Wyoming is somewhat close.  No good reason not to fix it either, I suppose?  It's better that than disaster the next time there is a competitive gubernatorial race (which may happen after Freudenthal retires).

Which state are you referring to? Idaho?

That would be my pick for the title of least competitive state; it's been a long time since Democrats came anywhere close to winning a Senate seat, House seat, the Governorship, or a Presidential race. The legislature is also overwhelmingly Republican. Idaho is probably overall the closest in the country to being a true one party state (other than the District of Columbia of course).

At least in Wyoming the Democrats won the governorship last time and have been reasonably competitive in the House race.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2006, 11:00:29 AM by Alcon »

That would be my guess.

Which state are you referring to? Idaho?

That would be my pick for the title of least competitive state; it's been a long time since Democrats came anywhere close to winning a Senate seat, House seat, the Governorship, or a Presidential race. The legislature is also overwhelmingly Republican. Idaho is probably overall the closest in the country to being a true one party state (other than the District of Columbia of course).

At least in Wyoming the Democrats won the governorship last time and have been reasonably competitive in the House race.

Yeah, I was referring to Idaho.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies