College Recruitment for the Military Protection Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:46:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: College Recruitment for the Military Protection Bill  (Read 25481 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2006, 04:10:42 PM »

1. No college or university funded by the state shall be permitted to prohibit recruiters from the United States Military to recruit on campus.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 04:13:23 PM »

FWIW, I think this policy was abolished last year by then-Senator Q when he motioned to repeal the Solomon Amendment (and it passed).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:14:53 PM »

FWIW, I think this policy was abolished last year by then-Senator Q when he motioned to repeal the Solomon Amendment (and it passed).

Yes I know. And Sec. of Defense Akno21 has written this and I support it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The question is on the above amendment. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.

Aye - 6 (MasterJedi, True Democrat, Defarge, PBrunsel, Ebowed, Q)
Abstain - 1 (DanielX)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:20:56 PM »

The question is on the above amendment. All those in favor, say Aye; those opposed, say No.

Abstain - 1 (DanielX)

Yes I know, I shouldn't have voted for it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:23:10 PM »

Abstain - 1 (DanielX)

I see.  Well I haven't really changed my opinion on the issue since casting that Senate vote, if you catch my drift.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:25:14 PM »

Abstain - 1 (DanielX)

I see.  Well I haven't really changed my opinion on the issue since casting that Senate vote, if you catch my drift.

As long as we get 7 votes that doesn't matter. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »

I'm going to need a justification for this, as it's not immediately obvious why we should force all colleges and universities to allow military recruiters.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »

I have a few problems with this bill.

To begin with, I do not believe that the government should be able to create a regulation such as this for private universities.  This bill makes no distinction between private and public universities.

Also, universities are usually regulated by states.  I do not believe that we, being at the federal level, should create these regulations.

I, therefore, lean in opposition of this bill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 04:43:49 PM »

I have a few problems with this bill.

To begin with, I do not believe that the government should be able to create a regulation such as this for private universities.  This bill makes no distinction between private and public universities.

Also, universities are usually regulated by states.  I do not believe that we, being at the federal level, should create these regulations.

I, therefore, lean in opposition of this bill.

I lean in opposition too, but more because of the question "should we do this?" than of the question "can we do this?".  You raise good points, though.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 06:26:31 PM »

This bill makes no distinction between private and public universities.

Private universities usually aren't funded by the state and if they are they should be able to be controlled by the state as well.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 06:42:33 PM »

Devolving more powers to local schools who know their own local needs makes more sense than forcing them to love military recruiters.

Besides, what if a school bans military recruiters for their own safety, like if there's some SEKRET PLOT!!!! against them or something, but they're not allowed to learn about it?

A bit farfetched, I know Tongue but eh.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 08:05:54 PM »

Vote against this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 08:08:26 PM »

I'm going to need an exceptionally good reason in favor of this from its supporters in order not to do so.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 12:26:05 AM »

An excellent accomplishment for Atlasia, I might add. Smiley  I hope that the Senate will not choose to effectively reverse its previous course of action.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 02:53:56 PM »

Right now, I think I support this act. Univeristies and colleges that are publically funded must also be subject to relevant government programs. I don't think it is fair that a public institution should bar public servants from doing their business on their grounds.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »

Right now, I think I support this act. Univeristies and colleges that are publically funded must also be subject to relevant government programs. I don't think it is fair that a public institution should bar public servants from doing their business on their grounds.

This is quite true.  However, this act makes no distinction between public and private universities.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »

This is quite true.  However, this act makes no distinction between public and private universities.

It mentions "funded by the state". I take this as meaning it is referring to public institutions.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »

It's not as if this bill forces students to join the military. All that we are trying to do here is reach a large number of possible applicants. Recruitment numbers have fallen in recent years, and if we want to be able to intervene in foreign affairs if neccessary, we need to have a military with the man power to  conduct operations in places spanning the globe. I do not see why, for state funded universities, we cannot try to persuade people to help protect their own country. This is not some sort of draft in any way, shape, or form. It's just an expansion of recruitment, and such an effort is badly needed at this time.

TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 03:08:17 PM »

So, by state, do you mean "region" or "government" in general? I'm a little unclear; it seems like this bill is saying that schools fully funded by the regional/state governments (as opposed to the federal) are subject to federal regulations.

So, is this a constitutional amendment?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »

Why would we give military recruiters free reign to pick and choose which college or university they want to recruit at while not giving the college and universities free reign over whether or not they want to allow them?  The military is as much a public institution as public colleges and universities.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »

Why would we give military recruiters free reign to pick and choose which college or university they want to recruit at while not giving the college and universities free reign over whether or not they want to allow them?  The military is as much a public institution as public colleges and universities.

Because when we pay for the publically funded colleges and universities that makes us have a say in what can/can't be allowed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »

As long as a school is funded by the state the military should have access to youth for recruitment. As Secretary Akno pointed out, recruitment numbers are down and I feel that it school recruiting is perfectly acceptable as long as it is done in a proper, no-pressure manner.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »

Because when we pay for the publically funded colleges and universities that makes us have a say in what can/can't be allowed.

First, is it not true that the regions pay for universities, not the federal government?

Second, I am not arguing that the federal government can't do this (that's another story), but that it shouldn't.

This is probably going to pass, but I'm still not voting for it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 07:09:59 PM »

If universities are acting independent from eachother in making rules in regards to federal institutions, it undermines the purpose of federal funding altogether. The government has an equal jurisdiction over all public universities, and therefore when it comes to another federal department, it should not let one university be better or worse than another.

Another thing, this may encourage recruiters to targer poorer areas less as there will be more incentive to students of higer classes. I caution however this may just be a possibility and not a reality. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies