"Lock" on the Presidency??? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:32:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  "Lock" on the Presidency??? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Lock" on the Presidency???  (Read 20048 times)
NorthernDog
Rookie

« on: November 09, 2003, 07:30:05 PM »

In 1992 James Carville was asked if the Democrats had removed the GOP's "electoral lock", since Clinton carried several southern states.  He stated at the time that no, they had only "picked the lock".  I now underdstand his comment - the electoral college breakdown has reverted to its 1980s pattern, with a few exceptions of course, like California and Vermont.
With a consistent GOP base in the Great Plains, most of the south and Rocky Mountains, they definately have an advantage.  OTOH the Democrats have suffered two 49-state blowouts in recent history.
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 11:55:26 AM »

When to you guys expect to start seeing state-by-state polls of the Presidential Election?  Do they wait for the primaries to be wrapped up?  I saw a New York state poll on DailyKOS.com and Bush was trailing all potential Democrats but only by about 8 points.  Republicans could have a lock on this election already if the close states in 2000 election are all tilting to Bush already Smiley
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 11:52:45 AM »

December is probably a bad month for polling-everyone is busy shopping, going to Christmas parties, hunting, etc...I wonder how the pollsters take all this into account?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies