Best Kerry VP Pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:43:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Best Kerry VP Pick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best Kerry VP Pick  (Read 2961 times)
Blazers93
Lamrock
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2004, 09:23:36 PM »

I believe that Kerry/ Richardson would be the best pick. It would give us a definate win in New Mexico. Increase the chances in Arizona. It would clinch Nevada and give us a possible shot a Texas. Why? He can capture the Hispanic vote. Plus, he is a midwesterner. Edwards is also a good pick for he has charisma and a charm. He could capture the east. Any other VP would still give Kerry a win but by a smaller margin. Oh, and how do you post pictures on your topic. I want to show some interesting Electoral maps.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 09:49:40 PM »

I believe that Kerry/ Richardson would be the best pick. It would give us a definate win in New Mexico. Increase the chances in Arizona. It would clinch Nevada and give us a possible shot a Texas. Why? He can capture the Hispanic vote. Plus, he is a midwesterner. Edwards is also a good pick for he has charisma and a charm. He could capture the east. Any other VP would still give Kerry a win but by a smaller margin. Oh, and how do you post pictures on your topic. I want to show some interesting Electoral maps.

I like Richardson, but he is unknwn back East.  Edwards would be better because of charisma and labor.  He would lock PA, OH, an WI, and MI and have an outsiders chance at MO, WV, VA, and long shot NC.  Not enough EV's for Richardson. NM(5), AZ(10), and NV(5). Compared to OH(20), PA(21), WI(10) and MI(17).  It wold be better to lock what Gore had and took a crack at Ohio, West Virginia, or the Upper Southeast.  
Blazers93
Lamrock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 09:53:40 PM »

I think we will win the East. My Prediction shows that The Democrats will win every eastern state except Alabama and Mississippi. We are looking at a Kerry landslide. Richardson will win the west and Kerry will win the east.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 10:11:12 PM »

You are delusional if you think Bush can lose Texas.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2004, 10:41:20 PM by Senator Harry, PPT-Senate »

to put an image put "img" and "/img" around the url, but in brackets
use the button if that's vague {which i think it is Wink }

also, Lamrock--you should get an avatar, and join in on fantasy elections Smiley

and I agree that Richardson would be the best pick.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 02:54:35 AM »

I think we will win the East. My Prediction shows that The Democrats will win every eastern state except Alabama and Mississippi. We are looking at a Kerry landslide. Richardson will win the west and Kerry will win the east.

I wish I could think like you, but it's not happening.  I would also add Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana as definite Bush,  South Carolina as highly likely Bush/longshot Kerry, Virginia and North Carolina as a possible turnover and West Virginia and Florida as too close to call.  Rest will go Kerry.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 03:12:30 AM »

I think the VP pick will be huge for Kerry.  I really think it'll be a close election and the VP pick could tilt it either way in some states.

For example, I don't think Kerry on his own will win Missouri, Ohio, or West Virginia.  But if you put Gephadt on the ticket I think those states become more likely, esp. Missouri.

I think Edwards is overall the most obvious, best known, and of course placed well in many of the state primaries.
I think it's obvious that the pick cannot be a NewEnglander.  

Wes Clark is an interesting choice...he could bring in Arkansas (I'd say that's safe) but that's only 6EVs.  He might bring more white men over to Kerry than other VP choices (like edwards), but we know white men don't vote D anyway.  There's an argument that instead of shoring up women or minorities, we should choose a VP that does well with white men, the group Bush has most support from.   If you follow that logic, I'd say Clark is the choice.

So anyway, I'm sure there are lots of people in the Kerry campaign with a lot more resources and and data than I have, playing all the angles and variables as we speak.  I wonder what they're looking for...?

One thing for sure, I'm not going to make a prediction until the VP is chosen.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 03:43:39 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2004, 03:47:20 AM by Michael Z »

Clark should figure in a Kerry administration, perhaps as Secretary of State... but I can't really see him as VP pick. Two Vietnam veterans on the ticket might be overdoing the Band Of Brothers thing just a little bit.

A VP should add variety as well as acumen. Edwards would be the perfect choice for Kerry as he'd level out most of Kerry's perceived weaknesses. Where Kerry is from the North, Edwards is from the South. Where Kerry is uncharismatic, Edwards is entertaining. Where Kerry is regarded as aloof and distant, Edwards portrays himself as a 'man of the people'. I've been saying this for ages (even as early as the Iowa caucus), but Edwards would be the best choice for Kerry.

Of course there is still the VERY distant possibility of a Kerry/McCain ticket, but it's not exactly the most realistic option. (Even though one thing's for sure, the rumours of disloyalty have definitely harmed McCain's chances of receiving the Republican nomination for 2008, no matter what the result will be this year.)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 03:46:51 AM »

I believe this is your prediction Lamrock?

May I just say, it ain't gonna happen, Kerry is about as likely to get that big a margin as Michael Dukakis was.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 04:01:21 AM »

I think Edwards would be the best pick.  Richardson would probably be better for N.M, Nevada & Arizona, but Edwards would be better elsewhere.  Ohio, Pa for example are states which would definatley go Kerry with Edwards as VP, with Richardson those states probably still lean Kerry, but much closer.  I like Richardson, but he can probably only impact the west Edwards could impact the nation itself by a few points, also North Carolina & Virginia become battlegrounds with Edwards on the ticket with the possibility of South Carolina as well.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 08:56:22 AM »

May I just say, it ain't gonna happen, Kerry is about as likely to get that big a margin as Michael Dukakis was.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still laughing about this map. Lamrock email me at JeffHokie@msn.com. If Kerry wins those percentages of those states and wins ALL those states you have as Kerry I will give you 500 dollars.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 01:52:16 PM »

That is crazy talk!!! Yes i know JFK that is not yours.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 02:23:40 PM »

I think Edwards is too obvious.
look at recent picks, most were a little surprising.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 02:28:13 PM »

I hope he don't pick Edwards!!!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 02:46:05 PM »

Edwards
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 02:59:09 PM »

I have to admit Edwards, as much as I despise the man.  But its hard to pin down a state that would go for Kerry because of him, other than maybe WV.. or just possibly Ohio.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 05:10:15 PM »

So no one else here things Gephardt would be a good pick?  For Missouri, West Virginia, and Ohio, perhaps even influence western Pennsylvania...?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 05:13:40 PM »

So no one else here things Gephardt would be a good pick?  For Missouri, West Virginia, and Ohio, perhaps even influence western Pennsylvania...?

He's rather disliked outside his congressional district here in Missouri.  We have a big St. Louis against the rest of the state antagonism here.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 05:15:47 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2004, 05:37:52 PM by Lunar »

I'm not sure.  I think it would be good for Kerry to choose someone everyone recognizes, but not someone everyone expects.

Tom Brokaw maybe?  Or any Republican (not necessarily McCain), Cohen maybe.

And there are some good dark horses, like Senator Harry Leid of Nevada.
zachman

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 05:19:30 PM »

He's rather disliked outside his congressional district here in Missouri.  We have a big St. Louis against the rest of the state antagonism here.
I really hope that Gephardt does not get picked. We need a newer face to the Democratic Party, and a Gephardt pick would be a tragic mistake. Luckily, I don't think Gephardt won't get picked, but I would start cursing at the Democratic Party for a few days if he did.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »

That's interesting, since you used to be in favour of Bayh... perhaps the strength of my argument convinced you? Cheesy
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 06:36:37 PM »

Tweed has been a hard-core Edwards guy for a while.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 08:15:06 PM »

That's interesting, since you used to be in favour of Bayh... perhaps the strength of my argument convinced you? Cheesy

I decided Bayh was not the guy back in April.
M

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 12:06:21 AM »

I would say that Edwards is probably the best choice. Not because of his Southern appeal or ability to carry an particular states, but because he really does bring a whole, powerful new persona and new issues to the campaign. The only problem is he is more likeable and a stronger candidate in nearly every way than Kerry. So Kerry would have to be careful Edwards does not overnalnce the ticket, making it bottom heavy.

Oh, and stop staring, she's mine!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2004, 01:50:44 AM »

The only problem is he is more likeable and a stronger candidate in nearly every way than Kerry. So Kerry would have to be careful Edwards does not overnalnce the ticket, making it bottom heavy.

The more people look at Edwards as the image for the Kerry/Edwards ticket the better.  If he's chosen, Kerry would be wise to have a lot of the media focus on Edwards.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies