Best Kerry VP Pick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:05:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Best Kerry VP Pick
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best Kerry VP Pick  (Read 2977 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 06:52:24 PM »

That's interesting, since you used to be in favour of Bayh... perhaps the strength of my argument convinced you? Cheesy

I decided Bayh was not the guy back in April.

Because of the strength of my argument? Cheesy
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2004, 06:53:39 PM »

I would say that Edwards is probably the best choice. Not because of his Southern appeal or ability to carry an particular states, but because he really does bring a whole, powerful new persona and new issues to the campaign. The only problem is he is more likeable and a stronger candidate in nearly every way than Kerry. So Kerry would have to be careful Edwards does not overnalnce the ticket, making it bottom heavy.

(Finds it extremely difficult to pay attention to anything M is saying due to his new signature...)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Dang.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 06:57:35 PM »

I agree.  Edwards would be a great choice.  I'd love to see him and Cheney go at it.

Just for fun, let's take a look at Edward's performance in the primaries...here are his best states (percentage and rank)

North Carolina 51%
South Carolina 44%
Georgia 41%
Ohio 34%
Wisconsin 34%
Iowa 31%
Utah 29%
Minnesota 27%
Tennessee 26%
Virginia 26%
Missouri 24%

Edwards came in first in the Carolinas, but all these other finishes were second place.  I think he's well liked in the south and in areas of the Mid-West.  I don't think he'd help much with the Pacific coast states or New Mexico, in which he got second place in only California with 19%.  He didn't garner too much support in New England either, but that's not exactly a region that I'm concerned about.  

I think Edwards would give Kerry what he needs...a certain Clintonesque, passionate southerner.  I'm saying he's my definite choice...but he's a good one.  
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 09:45:25 PM »

I agree.  Edwards would be a great choice.  I'd love to see him and Cheney go at it.

Just for fun, let's take a look at Edward's performance in the primaries...here are his best states (percentage and rank)

North Carolina 51%
South Carolina 44%
Georgia 41%
Ohio 34%
Wisconsin 34%
Iowa 31%
Utah 29%
Minnesota 27%
Tennessee 26%
Virginia 26%
Missouri 24%

Edwards came in first in the Carolinas, but all these other finishes were second place.  I think he's well liked in the south and in areas of the Mid-West.  I don't think he'd help much with the Pacific coast states or New Mexico, in which he got second place in only California with 19%.  He didn't garner too much support in New England either, but that's not exactly a region that I'm concerned about.  

I think Edwards would give Kerry what he needs...a certain Clintonesque, passionate southerner.  I'm saying he's my definite choice...but he's a good one.  

It will be a cold day in Hell before North and South Carolina turns Democratic again.  If Edwards gets pick, MANY of the non-Republican voters will go vote so Edwards don't win our state.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2004, 10:23:05 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2004, 12:04:09 AM by Lunar »

I'm not sure about Bush doing better in North Carolina because Edwards is chosen..that's going over the top.

However, look at the states below Georgia.  Ohio, the number one battleground for 04.  Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, etc.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2004, 10:42:29 PM »

Yeah I think Edwards might be the biggest help in Ohio and Wisconsin.  If we win those two states, we're in pretty good shape.  
Yeah, I'd agree with Lunar about Edwards bringing Republicans out of the woodwork to vote against him.   I don't know North Carolina, never been there, but I know that Edwards defeated his opponent in 1998 pretty soundly, 51.2-47.
That said, Gore lost the state in 2000 even more soundly, 43-56.  That's a big deficit to overcome, and it's probably unlikely.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2004, 01:30:16 AM »

*Waving from the far back* Hillary Clinton!

Edwards is the obvious pick and I am more then sure that the Bush camp has about 100 ways to destroy him. It will be someone that we haven't heard much about. The Bush camp was preparing for a Dean candidacy the Democrats knew that and ditched him at the last minute. No matter what Edwards MIGHT bring, he is off the table. Look for Vilsack, Hillary or Brokaw.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2004, 03:16:09 AM »

Really?  It seems like Edwards has been out there working for it though.
There also seems to be a lot of support for him to be VP, considering he was the second strongest in the primaries.
Personally, I thought he was running a much better campaign than Kerry...his speeches were better...his message was better.  
Carville called his "Two Americas" stump speech the best of the primaries.  I'd agree.

I think if we can get Ohio we can win.  I think Edwards would bring out a little extra there...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2004, 03:23:32 AM »

Really?  It seems like Edwards has been out there working for it though.
There also seems to be a lot of support for him to be VP, considering he was the second strongest in the primaries.
Personally, I thought he was running a much better campaign than Kerry...his speeches were better...his message was better.  
Carville called his "Two Americas" stump speech the best of the primaries.  I'd agree.

I think if we can get Ohio we can win.  I think Edwards would bring out a little extra there...

I'm sure the Bush camp has built up so much mud and have it ready to sling at this guy that Kerry doesn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole. Also, I can tell how Kerrys personality is everytime I see him on t.v. Kerry is all about the ego trip and Edwards will outshine him on almost every level. Kerry wants to be the head of the show and not have to hold hands with anyone. He will go for someone with less glare on him, like a Wes Clark or Vilsack w/a oddball possibility of Hillary. Edwards is out IMHO that's my prediction, put it on the record. Smiley

Just some more humble ramblings from a humble southerner. Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2004, 09:35:28 AM »

Even if he picks Edwards, don't worry. DON'T CHANGE BUSH IN THE MIDDLE OF A WAR.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2004, 11:50:33 PM »

w/a oddball possibility of Hillary. Edwards is out IMHO that's my prediction, put it on the record. Smiley

Oddball possibility?  You were so certain earlier.  Our bet still holds though Wink

Anyway, Kerry seems to  be making Edwards go through some practice runs through the key states to see how he holds up.  Obviously that will contribute to the final decision.
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2004, 04:02:28 AM »

Edwards has certainly been getting a workout out there.  I heard he brought the house down at the Florida Dem State Convention.  

Wes Clark has also been moving around.

We've already gotten a taste of the mud-slinging from the primary season.  Honestly, I thought the republicans had better attacks against Clark than on Edwards.

The only thing I could here them say about Edwards was that he's a trial attorney and all that...If people really cared about how a presidential candidate got their money, Bush would never have won.

The more I think about it the more I think Edwards is the best choice.  

Wes Clark I see as being too obvious, another military man, not the greatest speaker.  A great guy, no doubt, but I don't know if he'd complement the ticket the right way.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies