Kean, Jr (R) and Menendez still Close in New Jersey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:35:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  Kean, Jr (R) and Menendez still Close in New Jersey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kean, Jr (R) and Menendez still Close in New Jersey  (Read 2704 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »

New Poll: New Jersey Senator by Rasmussen on 2006-05-16

Summary: D: 37%, R: 40%, U: 23%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 04:25:56 AM »

Menendez will take this. I can't say I'm real concerned at the moment about this one.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 04:27:12 AM »

Menendez will take this. I can't say I'm real concerned at the moment about this one.

Yeah, if it's like Corzine's governor race, we all know how the undecideds will split.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:23:54 AM »

Yeah, if it's like Corzine's governor race, we all know how the undecideds will split.

Hmmm... but thing is this isnt Corzine's governor race, whats more this is Kean (the Bob Casey of NJ) not some GOP none entity.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

Interestingly, at this point (June 12) in the Corzine-Forrester contest, the three most recent polls showed Corzine +7, +10, and +10.

Corzine ended up winning by +10%.

Right now, the difference is that both Kean and Menendez are polling in Forrester territory.  If all elections were similar, we would expect all 10% of those presently undecided to break towards Menendez.

Of course, not all elections are the same.  I know the way New Jersey typically works, but as I told Lewis, until I see things change, it would be rather presumptuous of me to presume that the same thing will happen again regardless of candidate and situation.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »

2004 is a better analogy than Corzine's governor race.

Remember all those polls that had Bush ahead by about this much and Bush and Kerry in about the same range and people saying Bush had a chance to win New Jersey?

Obviously Kean is a much better candidate for NJ than Bush, but it's also a much worse time for the GOP.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 12:56:47 PM »

I do not recall Bush ever leading in New Jersey.  I remember some ties, but no leads.  Could just be slipping my memory.

New Jersey decides late, and it tends to break hard for one candidate or another.  If the Republican is a decent fit for New Jersey and they cna think of a reason to not vote for the democrat, the Republican has a chance to win. 

Kean is a good fit and his scandal gives New Jersey a reason to not vote democrat.  Kean has a real chance.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:58:13 PM »

2004 is a better analogy than Corzine's governor race.

Remember all those polls that had Bush ahead by about this much and Bush and Kerry in about the same range and people saying Bush had a chance to win New Jersey?

Obviously Kean is a much better candidate for NJ than Bush, but it's also a much worse time for the GOP.

Interestingly, after Kerry was named as the nominee, only one publicly released non-partisan polls out of the 43 that were released had Bush up on Kerry.  It was a SurveyUSA poll conducted right after the Republican convention that had Bush +4.  Needless to say, SUSA is the polling company most tied to turnout issues; I think it's safe to call it the Gallup of state polling for this reason.

Six publicly released non-partisan polls had Bush tied with Kerry during this period, but 3 of them were Strategic Vision, whom you consider a Republican polling firm anyways.  Tongue

Only 3 of the 44 polls ever had Bush getting higher than the 46% that he got in New Jersey on election day.

What am I trying to say here (other than Republicans were often too optimistic on this one):  This is essentially an open seat race right now, with both candidates mired in Forrester line territory.  The future will decide this one.  If any race can be compared to it, consider Corzine-Franks 2000, the last truly open seat Senate race we've had in Jersey.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 10:14:25 PM »

First, at this point last year, Corzine was ahead by around 10% by all accounts.

Second, the one, maybe two polls that had Bush leading in NJ were from around August, after the resgination of Jim McGreevey.

This race as of now, is a dead heat. I don't expect that to change at all until November 7. I honestly don't know which one will pull it off, but either very well could.

lol Its not gonna happen.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 05:31:10 PM »

If I lived in NJ, this is a race I might vote Republican in.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »

Menedez winning is one of the horrible things likely to happen. Sad
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »

It isn't impossible, eraserhead. Kean isn't like any nominee for Statewide office in recent NJ Republican history.

If this was a good year for Republicans, Kean may have had a great shot but this year...I would be beyond shocked.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 09:00:44 AM »

"Clean Kean" sounds like a good slogan then. Wink

This remains tied in my book, but I give Menendez a slight edge because of the Democratic strength in NJ.

Eraserhead, does your name derive from the Lynch movie?

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:01:46 AM »

When was the last time NJ elected a Republican senator?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 12:16:06 PM »

When was the last time NJ elected a Republican senator?

Clifford Case, 1972.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 08:32:21 PM »

"Clean Kean" sounds like a good slogan then. Wink

This remains tied in my book, but I give Menendez a slight edge because of the Democratic strength in NJ.

Eraserhead, does your name derive from the Lynch movie?

Yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies