May 2006 - January 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:46:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  May 2006 - January 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: May 2006 - January 2009  (Read 8130 times)
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »

Since I’ve been over in Iraq (since November), and seeing some of the election stories on this site, I figure I’d work on one myself. This is my first shot so bear with me if my facts/current events are not 100% straight PLUS I’m doing this from Iraq!

01 June 2006  --- Bush’s approval rating 33% approve, 57% disapprove

06 June 2006 --- Democrat Francine Busby defeats Republican Brian Bilbray 52-46 in a special election for the 50th Congressional District in California. Later in June, the Democrats also pick up Robert Menendez’s vacant seat in New Jersey. The House is currently composed of 231 Republicans, 203 Democrats, and 1 Independent (who caucuses with the Democrats).

19 June 2006 --- Price of oil, which was hovering around $68-$71 over the past 2 weeks sky rockets in 5 days to $78 a barrel. No comment from the White House.

22 June 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating 31% approve, 61% disapprove

01 July 2006 --- Price of oil reaches $80 a barrel. Average price for unleaded gasoline hits $3.00

10 July 2006 --- Senate is called into session to discuss rising gas prices. Republican try to open up the ANWR Region for drilling but is again filibustered by the Democrats.  After 10 days, Senate recesses with nothing new.

25 July 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating: 28% approve, 64% disapprove

04 August 2006 --- President Bush heads to Crawford Ranch for his usual month long “working” vacation. Anti-War Activist Cindy Sheehan stages another “camp” by the Crawford Ranch.

25 August 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating: 30% approve, 61% disapprove

01 September 2006 --- Sheehan finally approach Bush as he returns from a bike ride. Even though she can’t get any closer than 10 feet from the president, Bush does mutter to a Secret Service agent “Get that bi@#h out of here!” She is lead away without further incident. However, the event is caught by a local television camera and is aired as the top story on CBS News that evening.

04 September 2006 --- On his final day at the Crawford Ranch, while returning from a bike ride, 2 shots were fired at President Bush. One shot hit Bush in the left forearm but it’s only a flesh wound and it treated and released from the local hospital that evening. The would be assassin turns out to be Cindy Sheehan. Screaming “That’s for the murder of 2,500 lives in Iraq!” as she is taken away from Secret Service Agents.

05 September 2006 --- Bush, in an arm sling, leaves for Washington without making a statement regarding yesterday’s shooting. Nancy Pelosi, commenting on yesterday’s shooting. “Cindy Sheehan has always been a freedom fighter.” Outrage immediately pours from all parties. Harry Reid states “Ms. Pelosi’s comments are absolutely out of line. We may agree with Ms. Sheehan point of view on the war but I, nor do any Democrats agree with what Ms. Sheehan did yesterday.” John Murtha, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton and Marty Meehan also deliver similar statements condemning Pelosi’s statement.

10 September 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating: 39% approve, 51% disapprove. Most media networks claim that his bounce is out of symphony from the shooting and Nancy Pelosi’s comments.

11 September 2006 --- With the exception of the Congressional Black Congress, the Democratic House Leadership ask for Pelosi’s resignation from her leadership position due to her comments on 05 September. Pelosi offers no comment,

13 September 2006 --- Cindy Sheehan pleas not guilty to the assassination attempt on President Bush. No bail is set. Trial will begin on 08 January 2007.

17 September 2006 --- John Murtha goes on Meet the Press to announce he will challenge Ms. Pelosi’s leadership spot if she doesn’t resign. “If the Democrats have the election today, I would have at least 180 votes to make me the floor leader.”

22 September 2006 – Nancy Pelosi gives a tearful press conference to announce her resignation as House Minority Leader but will continue to run for her house seat. She offers no apology for her comments.

24 September 2006 --- John Murtha is selected by the Democrats to become the new Democratic floor leader.

29 September 2006 --- Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens dies in his sleep at the age of 86. Immediately, several Senate Democrats, including Boxer, Kennedy and Schumer warn Bush that a nominee like Roberts or Alito will be filibustered.

12 October 2006 --- President Bush selects Janice Rogers Brown to replace Justice Stevens as Supreme Court Justice. Democrats immediately meet to discuss how to filibuster this nominee. Senator Frist says, there will be a vote before the end of this year.   

13 October 2006 --- President Bush says regarding Brown’s nomination:  “I expect an up or down vote no matter what!”

16 October 2006 ---  Bush’s approval rating: 35% approve, 56% disapprove.

25 October 2006 --- Planning on campaigning in Pennsylvania and in Ohio, both Senator Santorum and Senator DeWine ask President Bush to cancel his appearances with them respectively because of the president’s low approval ratings and both of them in tight races.

07 November 2006 --- Turnout is larger than expected in an off-election year. Exit polls show Democrats will pick up seats in the House, Senate and Governorship but exit polls are cautious not to be in the same situation as they were in 2004.

08 November 2006 --- Final returns are in. Democrats gain 17 seats to take control the house. Republicans losing include Jean Schmitt and Curt Weldon. Meanwhile, in the Senate, Republicans suffer loses to incumbents Lincoln Chafee, Conrad Burns, Jim Talent and Rick Santorum but pick up an open seat in Minnesota in Mark Kennedy. 

The new House is composed of 215 Republicans, 220 Democrats (Democrats pick up the Vermont seat). The new Senate will be composed of 52 Republicans, 47 Democrats, and 1 Independent (Bernie Sanders - VT).

The Democrats gain in the governorships too. New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, defeats Bill Weld by nearly 50 points (74-23). Several Republicans go down in defeat to include Bob Ehrlich, Donald Carcieri, Frank Murkowski and Bob Riely. However, the surprise of the night goes to Arnold Schwarzenegger, who trailed in every poll since 20 Sept, beats Phil Anglides by a 50-46 margin. Finally, in Massachusetts, Independent Chirsty Mihos, considered a long shot by almost everyone, upsets Tom Reily and Kerry Healey in a close three way race (34-33-31).

10 November 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating 32% approve, 60% disapprove

Okay – How’s that for a start? A bit long but I plan on more if you all wish.
I’ll focus next on the December showdown over Janice Rogers Brown and some BIG shakeups in the Bush Administration.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:41:13 PM »

I think this is a pretty realistic scenario so far, though the Bush assassination attempt is obviously a bit of a reach, though of course anything is possible and those types of things are very hard to predict. Otherwise, as far as the election results, I think this is spot on.

I'm looking forward to seeing its continuation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »

I agree with Nym here.  It's realistic, except for the assassination part.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:41:08 AM »

Guys,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know the assassination attempt is a bit off. As a Captain in the US Army, I just can not stand Cindy Sheehan. I got a lot of stuff written down, just not organized past 2007. I should be able to update it tonight (in Iraqi time).

Just as a preview, I see a strong third party candidate in '08 and Bush's ratings rebound (well, he can only rebound where he is right now).
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:03:16 PM »

Part Two: Janice Rogers Brown and the Bush Jolt.

13 November 2006 --- Senate is back in session. Senators Frist and Specter announce that hearings on Janice Rogers Brown will begin on the 16th and expect a vote in the Senate NLT 10 December. Frist says “I’ll keep the Senate in session on Christmas, if I have to! I will see that Brown gets confirmed.

14 November 2006 --- Angry over his party’s loss of the House leadership, Speaker Dennis Hastert announces he will resign his house seat effective 03 January.

16 November 2006 --- Hearings begin for Janice Rogers Brown. Already, Senator Reid claims that all 44 Democrats and Independent Jim Jeffords will filibuster the nominee.

17 November 2006 --- DJIA reaches 12,000 points for the first time ever. NBC News points out that even with the Dow at record highs and unemployment almost down to 4%, Bush can’t still gain any confidence with the American people.

20 November 2006 --- VICE PRESIDENT CHENEY ANNOUNCES HE WILL STEP DOWN AS VICE PRESIDENT AS SOON AS A NEW VICE PRESIDENT IS CONFIRMED. Cheney releases the statement via White House Spokesman Tony Snow and says Cheney is stepping down due to health reasons.

21 November 2006 --- Drudge Report announces that President Bush will nominate former Vice President Dan Quayle as his next vice president. Quayle, calls it “the best joke I’ve heard all year.” ABC News reports, from a top White House aide, that 5 names are being mentioned as Cheney’s successor, outgoing Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, outgoing Senator Bill Frist, retiring Speaking Dennis Hastert, former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

22 November 2006 --- Colin Powell is quoted as saying regarding the Vice Presidency, “If asked, I will not say no. I will say HELL NO!”

28 November 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating 34% approve, 59% disapprove

30 November 2006 --- President Bush announces that J. Dennis Hastert will be nominated for Vice President of the United States. The house and senate agree to have hearings for Hastert in January.

04 December 2006 --- SECRETARY OF DEFENCE DONALD RUMSFELD ANNOUNCES HE IS RESIGNING AS SECRETARY OF DEFENSE. Bush again refuses to accept however, Rumsfeld cites family reasons behind his resignation.

05 December 2006 --- After nearly 3 weeks of bombarding questions from the Democrats, the Judiciary Committee votes along party lines 10-8 to approve Janice Rogers Brown to the Senate floor for a vote. The media point out that Brown kept her cool at all times and even CBS News’ Katie Couric pointed out that Brown “looked and acted like a Supreme Court Justice” during her hearing.

07 December 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating 38% approve, 57% disapprove

11 December 2006 --- The nomination is for Janice Rogers Brown is brought to the Senate floor. Debate lasts all day with out bringing up a vote.

13 December 2006 --- In a prime time news conference, President Bush announces that Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman will be nominated to replace Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense. Hearing will begin after the Hastert hearing next month.

14 December 2006 --- The Gang of 14 meet to discuss the Brown nomination. Democrat Senators Salazar, Inouye and Pryor say that this is an extraordinary circumstance and they will support a filibuster.

15 December 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating 43% approve, 54% disapprove. Many see the changes in the White House as a fresh start for Bush.

21 December 2006 --- Closure is rejected by a 59-41 vote. Immediately, Frist announces the nuclear option on the nominee. All 41 Democratic Senators and Independent Jim Jeffords stand up and exit the Senate floor in protest. Only Nelson, Landrieu, and Byrd remain in their seats for the Democrats.

A vote on the nomination is 52-6 with all three Democrats and, Chafee, Collins and DeWine voting against the nomination.

22 December 2006 --- Bush’s approval rating 38% approve, 58% disapprove. Pundits believed that President Bush’s numbers dipped because he had something to do with the nuclear option. Overall 71% of Americans disapproved of the nuclear option.

Brown is sworn is as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. Senators Reid and Durbin refuse to recognize her as a member of the high court.

26-28 December 2006 --- After hitting a record high of 12,094 points on the 22nd, the Dow drops in 3 days 1,169 points to 10,925. The biggest drop is on the 26th when the Dow falls 489 points.

Coming up next, the new leadership in the House and Senate and candidates for the 2008 race plus more tension with Iran!
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »

Leadership in the House and Senate

December 2006: Meanwhile, there is a lot of contention behind the upcoming congress and the new leadership. In the House, Murtha is selected by the Democrats to become their candidate for house speaker. Murtha makes it clear that his only goal is to “End this unlawful war. We have turned our soldiers into criminals.”

In the Senate, the power struggle is over the Republican Floor Leader. With Frist retiring, Mitch McConnell is looking to obtain the seat however there is immediate opposition with former Senate Leader Trent Lott. Lott announces that he will run because his “record as floor leader speaks for itself.”

22 December 2006 – With all 55 Republicans behind closed doors, it looks like the race for Majority Leader will be a close race. With 28 votes for victory, McConnell and Lott both have 26 votes with McCain, Collins and DeWine still undecided.  After three hours of discussion and voting, Lott offers Collins the position of Whip, she declines. However after Lott promises that he will not use the nuclear option on nominees Collins votes for Lott. DeWine is then offered the Whip and accepts and votes for Lott. McCain abstains to make it 28-26-1 to make Lott the Majority Leader.

03 January 2007: John Murtha is elected Speaker of the House. After assuming the chair, he immediately calls for a resolution to have all troops withdrawn from Iraq within 90 days. The resolution fails 218-217.
Archangel_Mikey
King Michael
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »

Very nice.  I like it.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »

January 2007

02 January 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  37% approve, 55% disapprove

04 January 2006 --- At Dennis Hastert’s  Vice Presidential nomination hearing, Hastert makes clear in his opening statement that he will “hold no secrets.” The first question asked to Hastert did ignite some concerns though:

Senator Feingold: Mr. Speaker, IF President Bush was to be impeached over wire tapping, would you , like President Ford, pardon the president?

Speaker Hastert:    Senator, I see you’re agenda is set (laugher from the Republicans, some boos from House Dems at the hearing). Senator, the President will not be impeached over wire tapping - lets make that clear. As for pardoning a president, it depends on the situation…..

Media networks hit Senator Feingold as arrogant and his question totally inappropriate at the hearing. 

05-12 January --- Other than Feingold’s opening question, the hearing for Hastert goes smooth. Hastert makes clear that he “will not run for president in 2008.”  All the networks agree that Hastert should be confirmed. Even Speaker Murtha admits Hastert has “hidden nothing and a Vice President Hastert is a lot better than a Vice President Cheney.”

16 January 2007 --- The Senate votes  97-3 (Feingold, Kennedy and Kerry vote no) and the House votes 326-109 to make J. Dennis Hastert the  47th Vice President of the United States. He is sworn in later that day by Chief Justice John Roberts in the East Room. Outgoing Vice President Cheney, present at the swearing in spots Speaker Murtha and whispers “f--- you coward” from the Speaker’s comments about comparing Hastert and Cheney.

18 January 2007 ---  Bush’s approval rating  42% approve,  51% disapprove
            Hastert’s approval rating  56% approve,  26% disapprove
                                 Cheney’s  approval rating  21% approve, 68% disapprove

22-26 January 2007 --- Hearing for Senator Lieberman for Defense Secretary go without issue. Senator Lieberman makes it clear that  Iraq “is winnable.” And to cut and run “would not only make us look bad internationally, it would bring this country to a state a malaise.”

29 January 2007 --- Senate Armed Services Committee votes 18-0 to send the nomination to the Senate floor and is approved by a voice vote.

30 January 2007 --- The state of the union. President Bush makes clear that the state of the union “is getting better and stronger every day.” He asks that this year his tax cuts are made permanent, more research goes into cleaner and more efficient energy and that real social security reform is made. However, the highlight of the speech is at the very end. “I will never cut and run in Iraq (applause from most, head shake from Speaker Murtha). We will prevail victorious in Iraq. And if the security forces in Iraq can manage their country and their national security, I will by January 1, 2008 reduce the (130,000) American Troops to 15,000.” There is a standing ovation by the House expect for Speaker Murtha who remains in his seat next to Vice President Hastert.

31 January 2007  --- Bush’s approval rating  48% approve,  45% disapprove. Even the New York Times has to admit that “by having the President fire his Vice President and Defense Secretary, President Bush has proven that he wants to salvage his legacy and he wants to win the confidence of the American people.” 

I will speed this up. I have next a showdown with Iran and Israel plus the candidates for 2008.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 01:07:52 PM »

This is pretty interesting, candidates for 2008 should be interesting. Smiley
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 03:13:06 PM »

01 February 2007 --- Three Republican announce their candidacy for President. John McCain, Mitt Romney and  Geroge Pataki. Also Evan Bayh announces he will run in 2008.

04 February 2007 --- Seantor Hillary Clinton announcing “a statement that has been long waiting.” that she will run for President in 2008.

12 February 2008 --- At a Lincoln Birthday party on Long Island, Rudy Giuliani announces that he will not run for President in 2008, instead he will run against Chuck Schumer for US Senate in 2010.

15 February 2007 --- John Kerry claiming “unfinished business,” will run for President in 2008.

19 February 2007 --- Senator John Edwards, out of health concerns for his wife, will not run in 2008.

21 February 2007 --- George Allen announces that he will run for President in 2008. 

01 March 2007 --- Economic Report

DJIA: 11,918
   Unemployment Rate: 4.1%
   Last Quarter GDP: 3.2%
   Average Gas Price: $2.76
   Barrel of Crude Oil: $74.31

05 March 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  50% approve,  44% disapprove. First time Bush has hit 50% since 2005. Many believe that Bush is finally getting credit for the strong economy and seems to finally have a plan in Iraq.

10 March 2007 --- 2008 Election poll of announced candidates
                               Republicans

McCain: 25%
      Allen: 14%
      Romeny: 11%
      Pataki: 6%
      UNDECIDED: 44%

DEMOCRATS

Clinton: 28%
      Bayh: 19%
      Kerry: 13%   
      Biden: 7%
      Dodd: 4%
      UNDECIDED: 29%

19 March 2007 --- Iran launches it’s first nuclear missile test into the Persian Gulf. President Mahumoud Ahmadinejad warns “Israel, your next!”

23 March 2007 --- Former Vice President Al Gore announce AGAIN, he will not run in 2008.

24 March 2007 --- President Bush addresses the UN regarding military force against Iran. “We are at great danger. This will not be another Iraq.”

25 March 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  53% approve,  43% disapprove. 73% do not want to see the President enter into war with Iran but 58% want to see some kind of American intervention with Iran.

What do you guys think so far?

More coming....more than likely this evening. Iran gets resolved and more candidates jump into the race.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »

Pretty good, but it would take a lot longer for Iran to develop a nuclear weapon.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »

Good update though as True Dem said Iran probably wouldn't get a nuke that fast but it is still possible.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 06:50:27 PM »

I really think with Iran being secretive, they do have weapons of mass destruction already. I wouldn't trust them with anything.

I'll have an update ready to go in about 10 minutes!
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »

25 March 2007 --- Russia and China use there veto power on the security council on using military force against Iran.

30 March 2007 --- Vice President Hastert, at his 6th press conference since assuming the VP, makes it clear that he will never run for president.

31 March 2007 --- Bill Frist announces that he will run for President in 2008.

01 April 2007 --- “This is no April Fools Day Joke.” Mark Warner announces he will run in 2008.

02 April 2007 --- On the first evening of Passover, Iran launches 3 nuclear missiles. The missiles strike about 10 miles east of Tel Aviv.  Fortunately for Israel, all three missiles  (which were not detected by Israel’s Missile Defense System) do not detonate and only an abandoned warehouse is slightly damaged.

03 April 2007 --- President Bush announces that Iran must allow US and UN inspectors into Iran within 72 hours or Bush will use an air attack on Tehran. As Bush makes his speech, Israel retaliates with 10 cruse missiles on Tehran. Damage is high in Tehran and over 25,000 are immediately killed. Israel is announcing it will send 100,00 ground troops to invade Tehran within the next 96 hours.

04 April 2007 --- President Bush warns Israel to stop retaliating and let the UN work this issue out. President Bush asked the UN Security Council again about a joint air attack. This time China and Russia approve, with the condition of no ground troops in Iran. Bush agrees. Israel, hearing of the UN vote, agrees to halt a ground invasion.

04 April 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  55% approve,  41% disapprove.

05 April 2007 --- President Bush announces that air attacks will continue until all of Iran’s nuclear capabilities are destroyed or until President Mahumoud Ahmadinejad surrenders.

07-19 April 2007 --- US and Coalition Forces conduct daily air strikes on Tehran and other military bases in Iran. Damage is high.

12 April 2007 --- Tom Tancredo announces that he is running for President and would “wipe Iran off the map.”

16 April 2007 --- Russ Feingold announces he will run for President.

19 April 2007 --- Iran’s Supreme Leader announces that he will surrender all of it’s nuclear capabilities.

20 April 2007 --- President Bush announces that the UN Weapons Inspectors are removing weapons of mass destruction from Iran and America’s involvement with Iran is over.

25 April 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  63% approve,  31% disapprove.  65% approve of President Bush’s conduct on the War on Terror. And an amazing 78% approve of Bush’s handling on Iran.

26 April 2007 --- Israeli Special Forces Raid a compound in Tehran and arrest Mahumoud Ahmadinejad and take him to Israel.

28 April 2007 --- Secretary of State Condi Rice announces she will not run for President in 2008.

30 April 2007 --- Election poll of announced candidates
                             REPUBLICANS

McCain: 23%
      Romney: 16%
      Allen: 12%
      Tancredo: 9%
      Pataki: 5%
      Frist: 3%
      UNDECIDED: 32%

DEMOCRATS

Clinton: 21%
      Warner: 19%
      Feingold: 12%
      Bayh: 9%
      Kerry: 7%   
      Biden: 3%
      Dodd: 2%
      UNDECIDED: 27%

02 May 2007 -- Senator Chris Dodd drops out of the presidential race citing lack of fund raising.

03 May 2007 --- Israel announces that Mahumoud Ahmadinejad will be tried in Israeli court later this month on unannounced charges.

12 May 2007 --- Jeb Bush makes it official - he will accept the post of Commissioner of the NFL and will not run for President in 2008.

15 May 2007 --- Newt Gingrich announces he will run for President in 2008.

20 May 2007 --- Israel announces that Mahumoud Ahmadinejad has been found guilty by a Israeli court on “numerous threats and actions towards Israel” and will face a firing squad at an unidentified time.

28 May 2007 --- With Vice President Hastert breaking a 50-50 tie, the Bush tax cuts are made permanent.

31 May 2007 --- New Mexico governor Bill Richardson announces he will not run for President in 2008.

06 June 2007 --- Nebraska Senator Bill Nelson announces he will change his party from Democrat to Independent but will still caucuses with the Democrats.

15 June 2007 --- Ralph Nader announces he will challenge for the Green party nomination for President.

15 June 2007 --- Economic Report

DJIA: 12,105
   Last Quarter GDP: 2.8%
   Average Gas Price: $2.73
   Barrel of Crude Oil: $76.50

20 June 2007 --- Election poll of announced candidates
                             REPUBLICANS

McCain: 18%
      Romney: 16%
      Allen: 13%
      Tancredo: 12%
      Gingrich: 7%
      Frist: 5%
      Pataki: 2%
      UNDECIDED: 27%

DEMOCRATS

Feingold: 18%
      Warner: 16%
      Kerry: 12%   
      Bayh: 6%

UNDECIDED: 24%

25 June 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  61% approve,  33% disapprove.

02 July 2007 --- Bush announces that 50,000 troops will be redeployed by 01 September - 4 month early!

10 July 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  66% approve,  30% disapprove.

15 July 2007 --- Iowa Straw Poll: All announced candidates attended the weekend in Iowa. McCain edges out Romney while Feingold pulls an upset for the Democrats while Clinton places a terrible fourth.

REPUBLICANS

McCain: 27%
      Romney: 25%
      Allen: 19%
      Tancredo: 18%
      Frist: 6%
      Gingrich: 3%      

DEMOCRATS

Feingold: 26%
      Warner: 24%
      Kerry: 21%   
      Clinton: 16%
      Bayh: 9%
      Biden: 4%

Hope you guys are enjoying this. More to come...
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 09:44:27 PM »

Road to Iowa Caucus

19 July 2007 --- I. Scooter Libby is found guilty of one count of obstruction of justice and one count of perjury. Sentencing date is August 31.

August- September 2007 --- There are no new entries in the Presidential Race. Bush spends August in Crawford with little policy making going on. Polls for the President are around 54%-58% approval.

31 August 2007 --- I. Scooter Libby is fined $1,000,000 and sentenced to 12-15 years in prison.

08 September 2007 --- After months of investigation,  Patrick Fitzgerald formally charges former Vice President Dick Cheney with committing obstruction of justice into the Plame affair.

14 September 2007 --- Dick Cheney pleads not guilty to the obstruction of justice charges. After a motion to delay the trial is successful, the trial will be set for 10 March 2008 in federal court.

October 2007 ---   Economic Report

DJIA: 12,379
   Last Quarter GDP: 3.2%
   Average Gas Price: $2.68
   Barrel of Crude Oil: $77.95

15 October 2007 --- Election poll of announced candidates 
                             REPUBLICANS

McCain: 22%
      Romney: 17%
      Allen: 15%
      Tancredo: 13%
      Gingrich: 8%
      Frist: 4%
      UNDECIDED: 19%

DEMOCRATS

Feingold: 23%
      Warner: 17%
      Kerry: 13%   
      Bayh: 7%
      UNDECIDED: 16%   

30 November 2007 --- Bush announces that he will have to still commit 15,000 extra troops to Iraq.  There will be 30,000 troops in Iraq after 01 January 2008.

10 December 2007 --- Bush’s approval rating  54% approve, 41% disapprove.

15 December 2007 --- Time selects President Bush as Time’s Man of the Year. The front cover is titled “Comeback President.”

15 January 2008 ---  Election poll of announced candidates  (Iowa)
                             REPUBLICANS

McCain: 23%
      Romney: 18%
      Tancredo: 14%
      Gingrich: 8%
      Frist: 5%
      UNDECIDED: 15%

DEMOCRATS

Feingold: 24%
      Clinton: 22%
      Warner: 19%
      Kerry: 17%   
      Bayh: 8%
      Biden: 4%      
      UNDECIDED: 6%   

21 January 2008 --- Iowa Caucus

22 January 2008 --- Iowa Caucus Results prove to be a shocker to both parties. Not only did the front runners in both parties (McCain and Feingold) lose (and lose big), it is victories of John Kerry and Tom Tancredo that send political earthquakes throughout both parties.

REPUBLICANS

Tancredo: 31%
      Romney: 25%
      McCain: 17%
      Gingrich: 6%
      Frist: 3%
      Pataki: 1%
      Other: 2%

DEMOCRATS

Kerry: 32%
      Feingold: 25%
      Clinton: 22%
      Warner: 14%   
      Bayh: 4%
      Biden: 2%
      Other: 1%

23 January 2008 --- Joe Biden announces he is withdrawing from the race and will endorse Warner.

25 January 2008 --- George Pataki announces he is withdrawing from the race and will endorse Romney.

Up next… New Hampshire results and two late entries into the Presidential Race.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 08:37:13 PM »

28 January 2008 --- With New Hampshire primary only a day away,  WMUR releases it’s final NH Poll…

REPUBLICANS

Romney: 32%
      McCain: 21%
      Allen: 12%
      Tancredo: 10%
      Gingrich: 2%
      UNDECIDED: 19%

DEMOCRATS

Warner: 27%
      Clinton: 25%
      Kerry: 19%   
      Feingold:15%
      Bayh: 3%      
      UNDECIDED: 11%   

29 January 2008 --- New Hampshire primary.

30 January 2008 --- New Hampshire primary shows another shocker. Romney, the Republican front runner does win NH however, it is only a squeaker. Tancredo shocks everyone again by finishing a strong second. Tancredo is now considered the front runner for the Republicans. For the Democrats, John Kerry wins again (and wins big) and looks like the momentum is with Kerry.

REPUBLICANS

Romney: 32%
      Tancredo: 30%
      Allen: 19%
      McCain: 12%
      Gingrich: 1%
      Others: 2%

DEMOCRATS

Kerry: 44%
      Warner: 31%
      Clinton: 14%   
      Feingold: 5%
      Bayh: 2%      
      Others: 4%

31 January 2008 --- Still suffering from the shocks of Iowa and New Hampshire both John McCain and Hillary Clinton, the early front runners in 2006 and 2007 withdraw from the race on the same day. Neither announce they will endorse a candidate.

31 January 2008 --- Bill Frist, who polled terribly but was very successful in fund raising, quits the race and endorses Tancredo.

01 February 2008 --- Drudge Report announces that Clinton, Biden and Warner have met with Al Gore to ask if he will challenge Kerry.

01 February 2008 --- With a month before the Cheney trial, Cheney, who has been under a lot of pressure, suffers his fifth heart attack. This one is serious, according to doctors. It is projected that it will take a year for Cheney to fully recover and stand trial. The trail is postponed until 25 March 2009.

02 February 2008 --- At a rally in Nashville, Al Gore announces he will enter the race and run for President. With him are Mark Warner and Evan Bayh who announce that they will both withdraw from the race and endorse Gore. Gore will enter his first primary in Wisconsin on 19 February. Despite this announcement, Kerry is still the front runner.

04 February 2008 --- What would be later to be the famous “Hilton Huddle” several politicians and top media reporters gather at the Washington Hilton to discuss the political shake ups in both the Democratic and Republican races. There is strong support for a third party ticket if Kerry and Tancredo are the nominees. In attendance are Senators McCain, Ben Nelson, Susan Collins. Former Senators George Mitchell, Bob Smith and John Breaux, Massachusetts Governor Christy Mihos, former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura, retired Generals Tommy Frank, Wesley Clark, Defense Secretary Joe Lieberman, Representatives Ron Paul, Virgil Goodie and reporters/anchors Tim Russert, Chris Mathews, Lou Dobbs, and Bill O’Reilly.   

05 February 2008 --- In the Republican primaries…Romney edges Tancredo in Missouri (35-31) where Tancredo wins North Dakota caucus and the Oklahoma primary easily. Gingrich stuns everyone and beats Tancredo in South Carolina by less than 350 votes.

05 February 2008 --- Kerry wins primaries/caucuses in Arizona, Delaware, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma and South Carolina. Feingold wins barely North Dakota caucus.

06 February 2008 --- President Bush, citing the poor health of Dick Cheney and the stress placed on him, his family and the nation, issues a full and complete pardon to the former vice president for all illegal and criminal activities that may have been made by him between 20 January 2001 to 16 January 2007.

07 February 2008 --- On the O’Reilly Factor, Texas Congressman Ron Paul announces that he will run for President as an Independent. Paul cites the concern for the front runners of John Kerry and Tom Tancredo and “our leadership is in crisis.” Paul also announces that he has the endorsement of Governor Mihos as well as Senator McCain, Senator Nelson and Generals Clark and Franks.

08 February 2008 --- George Allen drops out of the race but refuses to endorse either candidate.

09 February 2008 --- Kerry trounces Feingold in Michigan (68-28) however in Washington, Kerry gets 38% of the vote while a write in campaign for Gore gives him 35% of the vote.

10 February 2008 --- Bush’s approval rating  49% approve,  43% disapprove.  Overall, 51% believe that the President should not have pardoned Dick Cheney.

10 February 2008 --- Feingold withdraws from the race and endorses Kerry.

10 February 2008 --- General Election Poll

Kerry: 28%,Tancredo: 26%, Paul: 18%, Undecided: 28%

However, even though Kerry is the from runner, a poll of Democrats have Kerry leading Gore only by 3, (39-36). While Republican polled support Tancredo over Romney only by 2 (35-33).
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:59:19 AM »

If Iran launched nuclear missiles at Israel, the US would be in Iran before the missiles hit the ground.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 05:27:15 PM »

NATO and UN troops would also probably invade Iran if that happened. But still, this is very entertaining, if somewhat unrealistic.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 07:21:14 PM »

The primaries

12 February 2008 --- Gore wins a write-in ballot campaign in Tennessee while Kerry wins Maine and Warner, despite already out of the race win Virginia (44-24) and asks the delegates to support Gore.

12 February 2008 --- Romney defeats Tancredo in Tennessee (51-41) and wins easily in D.C

15 February 2008 --- Hillary Clinton wins her only caucus with a huge win in D.C. While Kerry wins Nevada.

17 February 2008 --- Newt Gingrich drops out of the race and endorses Romney.

19 February 2008 --- Wisconsin Primary. Polls are showing a heavy turnout but pundits pick Kerry to win due to Feingold’s support of Kerry.

20 February 2008 --- Al Gore shocks Wisconsin by winning 55% of the vote. Proving that the race for the Democratic nomination is not over. Romney beats Tancredo 45-40 showing that the Republican nomination is still a close race.

26 February 2008 --- Gore wins the Utah primary and the Idaho caucus while Kerry wins the Hawaii caucus.

28 February 2008 --- Paul announces his grassroots campaign have raised almost four million dollars in less than three weeks.

29 February 2008 --- Election polls by party

REPUBLICAN

Tancredo: 42%, Romney: 40%, Undecided: 18%

DEMOCRAT

Gore: 40%, Kerry: 39%, Undecided: 21%

General Election
   Kerry: 30%, Tancredo: 27%, Paul: 22%, Undecided: 20%
   Gore: 32%, Tancredo: 26%, Paul: 24%, Undecided: 18%
   Gore: 29%, Romney: 28%, Paul: 23%, Undecided: 20%
   Romney: 31%, Kerry: 27% Paul: 25%, Undecided: 17%

Delegate Breakdown

Republican

Tancredo: 135
   Romney: 158
   Gingrich: 23
   McCain: 2

Democrat

Kerry: 453
   Gore: 164
   Warner: 84
   Clinton: 14

03 March 2008 --- Paul announces that Massachusetts Governor Christy Mihos will be Paul’s vice presidential running mate. Over 80% polled do not know who Mihos is.

04 March 2008 --- Super Tuesday. 582 delegates up for grabs for the Republicans while 1104 delegates are up for the Democrats.

05 March 2008 --- Al Gore makes a huge comeback in the race for the Democratic nomination winning 7 states with 506 delegates.  Kerry wins only Massachusetts, Rhode Island and California (only after Senator Boxer gives an 11th hour endorsement) but still manage 598 delegates. As for the Republicans, Tancredo wins three important primaries in California, Georgia ad Ohio with winning 309 delegates. Romeny wins the remaining states with 273 delegates.

11 March 2008 --- Al Gore sweeps the south with wins in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas and the American Samoa caucus. While Romney wins Florida with Tancredo winning the rest.

14 March 2008 --- Gore wins Kansas caucus

18 March 2008 --- Romney and Kerry win the Illinois primary.

22 March - 19 April 2008 --- Democrats hold primaries/caucuses in Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado, North Carolina and the Virgin Islands. Gore wins all of them.

26 April 2008 --- Kerry wins the Guam caucus

29 April 2008 --- Thanks to support from House Speaker John Murtha, Kerry edges Gore in the Pennsylvania primary (51-46). Meanwhile Romney defeats Tancredo 55-44.

30 April 2008 --- Election polls by party

REPUBLICAN

Tancredo: 45%, Romney: 42%, Undecided: 13%

DEMOCRAT

Gore: 47%, Kerry: 41%, Undecided: 12%

General Election
   Kerry: 29%, Tancredo: 28%, Paul: 25%, Undecided: 18%
   Gore: 34%, Tancredo: 27%, Paul: 23%, Undecided: 16%
   Gore: 31%, Romney: 29%, Paul: 25%, Undecided: 15%
   Romney: 32%, Kerry: 28% Paul: 26%, Undecided: 14%

Delegate Breakdown

Republican

Tancredo: 655
   Romney: 678

Democrat

Kerry: 1342
   Gore: 952

06 May 2006 --- Gore and Tancredo win the Indiana primary

11 May 2008 --- Gore and Tancredo win West Virginia primary while Gore also wins Nebraska primary.

20 May 2008 --- Gore and Tancredo both win the Arkansas and Kentucky primaries while Kerry and Romney win the Oregon primary.

27 May 2008 --- Tancredo wins the Idaho primary.

03 June 2008 --- Tancredo sweeps the primaries in Alabama, New Mexico and South Dakota while Gore wins both Alabama and the South Dakota primaries.

08 June 2008 --- Kerry wins the Puerto Rico caucus

10 June 2008 --- In the final primary,  Romney edges out Tancredo (50-48) to win the New Jersey primary while Gore wins the Montana primary and loses barely the New Jersey primary (49-46).

Delegate Breakdown

Republican

Tancredo: 875
   Romney: 781

Democrat

Kerry: 1491
   Gore: 1265

Election polls by party

REPUBLICAN

Tancredo: 44%, Romney: 43%, Undecided: 13%

DEMOCRAT

Gore: 46%, Kerry: 43%, Undecided: 11%

General Election
   Kerry: 28%, Tancredo: 28%, Paul: 26%, Undecided: 18%
   Gore: 33%, Tancredo: 29%, Paul: 23%, Undecided: 15%
   Gore: 30%, Romney: 30%, Paul: 27%, Undecided: 13%
   Romney: 31%, Kerry: 29% Paul: 28%, Undecided: 12%

04 July 2008 --- Tancredo announces that he will select former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist to be his running mate.

31 July 2008 --- Mitt Romney, hold a tearful press conference. His wife Ann, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, has taken a severe turn for the worse and, “my family comes before any presidential run,” withdraws from the nomination race. However, Romney refuses to endorse Tancredo stating “ I have deep concerns over the Republican party nominating Mr. Tancredo.” Romany stuns everyone when he asks his delegates to rally around Vice President Dennis Hastert.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 07:27:04 PM »

I'm going to give everyone a option right now. Below are 5 options on how the race plays out. I have already written one of the options but I would like input.

1. The race is a three way between Tancredo/Kerry/Paul
2. The race is between Kerry and Tancredo
3. Race is three way betwenn Gore/Hastert/Paul
4. The race is between Kerry and Hastert
5. The race is between Gore and Hastert
6. Other

Thanks for reading this.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »

Go with Option 1. Smiley
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »

01 August 2008 --- Vice President Hastert, in a D.C press conference, announces that he would accept a “Draft Hastert” movement at the convention. And to prove that Hastert is serious., he names Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty to be his running mate. The next day, the two hold a joint political rally in St. Paul.

06 August 2008 ---- Election polls by party

REPUBLICAN

Hastert: 46%, Tancredo: 41%, Undecided: 13%

DEMOCRAT

Gore: 45%, Kerry: 44%, Undecided: 11%

General Election
   Tancredo: 29%, Kerry::27%, Paul: 27%, Undecided: 17%
   Gore: 32%, Tancredo: 27%, Paul: 25%, Undecided: 16%
   Gore: 32%, Hastert: 30%, Paul: 24%, Undecided: 14%
   Hastert: 31%, Kerry: 26% Paul: 26%, Undecided: 17%

10 August 2008 --- Kerry selects Speaker John Murtha as his running mate.

15 August 2008 --- In Nashville, Gore announces if nominated, he will select junior Illinois Senator Barack Obama as his running mate.

06 August 2008 ---- Election polls by party

REPUBLICAN

Hastert/Pawlenty: 48%, Tancredo/Frist: 40%, Undecided: 12%

DEMOCRAT

Gore/Obama: 50%, Kerry/Murtha: 43%, Undecided: 7%

19 August 2008 --- Shortly after delivering an emotional speech on Iraq and redeploying the troops, in Cleveland, Speaker Murtha suffers a massive stroke.

21 August 2008 --- Doctors announce that the 75 year old Murtha is in a deep coma and chances of survival are slim. Kerry announces that, right now, he will not select a new running mate but announces that “we will win the nomination for Speaker Murtha."

25-28 August 2008 --- Democratic National Convention (Denver, CO)

27 August 2008 --- Tensions and emotions are high this evening. First, a tribute to fallen Speaker Murtha, which the Gore camp felt would sway some votes to Kerry. Second, after the tribute is the selection of the nominee. The Kerry camp question Gore delegates in Ohio and New York while the Gore camp questions Kerry delegates in California. After a 2 ˝ hour delay, all delegate claims are thrown out. On the first ballot, Kerry wins the nomination 2202 to 2114 for Gore and 37 scattered. Gore is seen after the tally breaking down  in tears and leaves for Nashville that night without making any statement.

28 August 2008 --- Kerry’s acceptance speech slams President Bush calling him “the most incompetent president of our time. We made a grave mistake 4 years ago, when he was reelected, and today we can redeem ourselves.” Kerry also announces that California Senator Barbara Boxer will be his new running mate. After Kerry makes his speech and running mate announcement, former President Bill Clinton and his wife were overheard saying to MSNBC’s Chris Mathews  “Kerry just blew the election. This ticket is so damn left leaning, it will not win.”

31 August 2008 --- Despite the convention, Kerry received no bounce from the convention making Republicans more optimistic.

Tancredo: 31%, Kerry:28%, Paul: 27%, Undecided: 14%
   Hastert: 33%, Kerry: 27% Paul: 26%, Undecided: 14%

01-04 September 2008 --- Republican National Convention (Tampa, FL).  Journalist admit, they can not predict who will leave Tampa with the nomination.

02 September 2008 --- President Bush’s so called “farewell night” is an enormous success. He receives a 36 minute standing ovation which causes a lot of anger with networks such as CNN and CBS. Anderson Cooper is heard saying “can’t they shut up?” Bush, who has been quite about endorsing any candidate finally announces that he will endorse Hastert and Pawlenty.

03 September 2008 --- Tensions are just as high as the Democrats in the nomination selection. Several delegates from Texas, Indiana and Alabama are threatening to switch there commitments from Tancredo to Hastert.  In the end, the total is a heartbreaker for Hastert and Tancredo wins with 1272 to 1234 and 3 protest votes for McCain.

04 Septmebmer 2008 --- With a chance to reach out to moderate Republicans, Tancredo fails to do so and launches into his immigration policy as the cornerstone of his campaign. Rudy Guilani and Mitt Romney leave the convention during the middle of Tancredo’s acceptance speech and it is caught by the networks.

05 Septmebet 2008 --- Polls from the convention give Tancredo no boost at all. The Republican convention seems to have helped Kerry and it seems that Paul has lost some steam.

Kerry/Boxer: 34%, Tancredo/Frist: 30%, Paul/Mihos: 18%, Undedided: 18%

06 September 2008 --- Paul announces that he will hold a two day “mini-convention rally” on 09-10 September.

09-10 September 2008 --- Rally for Paul/Mihos (Cincinnati, OH). Over 25,000 people are in attendance. Paul, who has a bad cold, does not speak at all. Instead it is left to over 20 politicians and journalists who speak in endorsement for Paul. The three main speeches come from Senators John McCain, Ben Nelson and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. The biggest surprise is when Paul’s Vice Presidential candidate Chirsty Mihos speaks. Mihos, who has been lackluster at best and not gaining any recognition, announces that he will step down from the number two spot. Instead, he announces Paul’s wishes to endorse Ben Nelson as Ron Paul’s number two man. Nelson, who already gave his endorsement speech,  sends a telegram to accept Paul’s offer.

15 Septebmer 2008 --- Polls released show a stunning result 

Paul/Nelson: 30%, Kerry/ Boxer: 26%, Tancredo/Frist: 24% Undecided: 20%
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 01:54:45 AM »

Great scenario, but one question-Whatever happened to Cindy Sheehan?
kashifsakhan
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 07:00:07 PM »

Great scenario, but one question-Whatever happened to Cindy Sheehan?

Also, whatever happened to Mahmood Ahmedinejad? It seemed a little far fetched that israel just swooped in and took him away without any international pressure of any kind.

Other than that, its one of the best scenario's ive read in a while.

I'd love to see Gore running as an independent making it a 4-way race.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 01:04:45 AM »

Guys - Sadly, I lost my first draft of the story and I had to go on the fly so I apoligize for not mentioning Sheehan or Ahmedinejad any futher.

Please be patient for an update. My R&R has ended and I'm back in Iraq. I'll try to do something within the next week or so. I will finish this story one way or another!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies