Canadian election maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:32:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian election maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian election maps  (Read 11113 times)
deansherratt
Rookie
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

The suggestion to look at the earlist settlement patterns makes excellent sense. Generally the Liberals got a lot of support from areas in Western Ontario that were Methodist - the old Clear Grit "Rep by Pop" tradition. Eastern Ontario was Tory - the Conservatives got strong support from Northern Irish (Protestant) and the Liberals from Irish Catholics as well as some immigrants such as Germans. Once voting paterns got settled I can follow small Irish Catholic settlements in Eastern Ontario which voted Liberal for decades of elections (e.g. Downeyville in Victoria, Stoco and Hanleys in Hastings).

Perhaps due to the National Policy, the Conservatives ran very well in small industrial towns like Thorold, Walkerville and Paris, as well as larger cities generally while Liberal support was more strongly rural (and in favour of lower tariffs). Some counties like Oxford were incredible Liberal strongholds.

I am glad to be the first to note the 1882 map which was the first under Sir John A's incredible gerrymander! It didn't help a great deal but if you compare boundaries to 1878 you will see a lot of changes in Western Ontario. He tried very hard!
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »

I susepct that Macdonald tried just a little too hard. Interestingly, he never capitalized on his urban strength. City ridings were very large in population for several decades. I think he was more interested in getting a few grits out of his hair. 
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »

Dear SoFA EarlAW - you are coming up to two very interesting elections. 1917 was interesting for its unionist vote but better still is 1921 with the intrusion of the Progressive party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies