"Amway Man" effect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Amway Man" effect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: How much does the Amway Man tag have on Dick DeVos's election results
None

<2%

2.1-5%

5.1-10%

>10%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: "Amway Man" effect  (Read 10671 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 09:15:15 PM »

Also, did you know that Dick DeVos has critisized Michigan social studies teachers saying that they teach children the ability to think critically about their government!!!!

I doubt that the governor will ever say a thing about Amway.  Others will do it for her. 

His connection to right wing groups may be even more damaging than Amway.

When did he say that?
I agree w/ you about Granholm--bringing it up could be bad.
What's wrong with right-wing groups?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »

Try as I may, I can't find "proof" of this for you.  Working in education, this is one of those things that I heard at one time, but years later, will never find in print.  I believe it was when he was on the State Board of Ed?  Not in recent enough days to be able to find on the internet.   I do know that it has been spoken of at length among my collegues who have all heard the same thing.  If anyone out there knows where to find an article, I want to read it again myself.

sounds to me like just a dem. urban legend--just curious, how long ago did you 1st hear it?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 10:27:47 PM »

Devos in the low 60's? Yeah, that's quite unrealistic, even more so than the prediction of Granholm being in the low 60's. There's no way this race could possibly be a landslide Engler/Levin type win for either side.

I doubt Bush can get to 50 percent by election time, but into the 40's is realistic, and this may well be enough to at least save the GOP House and Senate majorities, even though both would be significantly reduced in size. And it certainly would help in races like this where Bush's current numbers are a huge drag on the GOP ticket nationwide, though especially in the "blue" states.

What about finding Zarquowi today?  That honestly could bring it up to the higher 30's maybe 40's in my mind--but the Dems. are downplaying it!

Well if it does have that effect on Bush's ratings, then it will certainly help the GOP in the fall if it holds. Although the high 30's to 40's is still pretty bad, of course, but at least not disastourous as we see now.

I agree that Zarqawi's death is a very good thing, although someone will likely simply step into his place and replace him who will be just as bad. We'll see what the long term effects are on Iraq.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »

Devos in the low 60's? Yeah, that's quite unrealistic, even more so than the prediction of Granholm being in the low 60's. There's no way this race could possibly be a landslide Engler/Levin type win for either side.

I doubt Bush can get to 50 percent by election time, but into the 40's is realistic, and this may well be enough to at least save the GOP House and Senate majorities, even though both would be significantly reduced in size. And it certainly would help in races like this where Bush's current numbers are a huge drag on the GOP ticket nationwide, though especially in the "blue" states.

What about finding Zarquowi today?  That honestly could bring it up to the higher 30's maybe 40's in my mind--but the Dems. are downplaying it!

Well if it does have that effect on Bush's ratings, then it will certainly help the GOP in the fall if it holds. Although the high 30's to 40's is still pretty bad, of course, but at least not disastourous as we see now.

I agree that Zarqawi's death is a very good thing, although someone will likely simply step into his place and replace him who will be just as bad. We'll see what the long term effects are on Iraq.

Right--I'm not saying that 40% is good, but honestly, however high or low the president's a.r. is, it only affects the gubernatorial race a certain amount.  I'm honestly considering bringing DeVos down to 50%.  I just want to see 1 poll first, b/c is DeVos keeps rising, I may keep it.

One thing that surprised me (and I don't know how much publicity you get where you are--it was in the Detroit Free Press for me), but DeVos went back on his half-mast flag stance, and a flip-flop label will hurt him.  I honestly can't stand flip-floppers (John Kerry)--if DeVos turned into one, I would still support him, but my view of him would be tainted.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »

Right--I'm not saying that 40% is good, but honestly, however high or low the president's a.r. is, it only affects the gubernatorial race a certain amount.  I'm honestly considering bringing DeVos down to 50%.  I just want to see 1 poll first, b/c is DeVos keeps rising, I may keep it.

One thing that surprised me (and I don't know how much publicity you get where you are--it was in the Detroit Free Press for me), but DeVos went back on his half-mast flag stance, and a flip-flop label will hurt him.  I honestly can't stand flip-floppers (John Kerry)--if DeVos turned into one, I would still support him, but my view of him would be tainted.

I hadn't heard that about Devos. I don't get the Free Press, though it is pretty widely available up here.

When it comes to TV, we get a couple stations from Green Bay but none from downstate at all (only Marquette within Michigan) so our news tends to be biased more towards Wisconsin than Michigan.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 11:45:37 PM »

I hadn't heard that about Devos. I don't get the Free Press, though it is pretty widely available up here.

When it comes to TV, we get a couple stations from Green Bay but none from downstate at all (only Marquette within Michigan) so our news tends to be biased more towards Wisconsin than Michigan.

Let me work on getting a link/copy of the editorial.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies