What would have happened if in 1992... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What would have happened if in 1992... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would have happened if in 1992...  (Read 16391 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 17, 2004, 07:45:08 PM »

I'm going to pull back to the original question here! If Bush had won in 1992, but the economy had taken a downturn and the Democrats had lost their way (without the Clinton/DNC style stability) Ross Perot would have stood again and would no doubt have won perhaps 22-25% of the vote, if he could say, effectively, that Bush's economic policies were failing America, especially if the US still had a huge budget deficit. I should think that Quayle would get the 96 nomination, although in this scenario, Colin Powell and even (spit) Pat Buchanan could have put up a fight in the primaries. Gore, who ran in 88, and was Clinton's running mate in 92, would have been mad not to stand in 1996. Gephardt too could have held a campaign together, especially if the 1994 Republican sweep of Congress had not happened, in this scenario the Democrats would hold the Senate by this time at least. Whoever got the Democratic nomination would have won in 1996. And I suspect that they would have won re-election in 2000.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 03:40:54 PM »

I don't know about Gore getting the nomination in 1996. Lets not forgot that a few Dems who in reality, were cleared out of office in 1994, could have still been in the running. Gephardt, I feel, would have been involved somewhere, in order to challenge the Mid-West/Great Lake states which could have leaned towards Quayle, who's home state was Indiana (I'm having a Woody from Cheers moment here!...Hanover, America's heartland!) I dont think Gore would have been picked as a running mate again, I have a strange feeling about Bob Graham being looked at. What ever Dem won in 1996 would have been in a strong position to win in 2000, but I feel the Republicans would have gained office in 2004.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies