1896-grover cleveland runs for reelection.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:12:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1896-grover cleveland runs for reelection.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1896-grover cleveland runs for reelection.  (Read 3479 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2006, 08:39:42 PM »

in 1896, cleveland breaks precedent and runs for a third term (though not consecutive)

he dumps adlai stevenson as his running mate and instead picks young upstart william jennings bryan.  even though cleveland and bryan disagree on nearly every issue, cleveland hopes to unify the party by having the orator on the ticket.

discuss.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:46:01 AM »

I very highly doubt he would ever choose Bryan.  The democratic party at the time was between the small-government wing and the big-government wing.  Unfortunately the later won over and we got liberals.  Otherwise I might be a democrat.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:22:17 AM »

I very highly doubt he would ever choose Bryan.  The democratic party at the time was between the small-government wing and the big-government wing.  Unfortunately the later won over and we got liberals.  Otherwise I might be a democrat.

i disagree.

i think it is entirely possible that he would pick bryan.  in those days, the VP spot was unimportant.  it really didnt matter if you and your running mate agreed on anything.  heck, cleveland and stevenson didnt agree on much either.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »

i disagree.

i think it is entirely possible that he would pick bryan.  in those days, the VP spot was unimportant.  it really didnt matter if you and your running mate agreed on anything.  heck, cleveland and stevenson didnt agree on much either.

Well it's not so much the pick as whether Bryan would accept especially since he had attacked the Eastern pro-business elite like Cleveland for most of his political carreer and that Cleveland basically stood in opposition to everything Bryan believed in.

To Milk 'n' Cereal it's not big government vs. small government, really. It was mostly silver standard and inflationary money policy vs. gold standard and anti-inflationary money policy especially since Bryan, in 1896 at least, mostly disregarded the more radical proposals of his populist allies, like an eight-hour workday or a graduated income tax, and focused on the "free silver" cause.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:00:08 AM »

After having already served two terms, though non-consecutive, as President, I seriously doubt that Cleveland would have been able to defeat Republican nominee William McKinley, a former member of the House of Representatives, and Governor of Ohio.  McKinley was highly respected in the country.

As well, I rather believe that William Jennings Bryan would challenge Cleveland for the Democratic Presidential nomination anyway, as he wanted to be the nominee, (and in actual fact was).  Bryan would no doubt have waged his nomination campaign, in part, on the fact that Cleveland was already President for two terms, and that it was time for the party to renew themselves, and seek new leadership.   
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »

To Milk 'n' Cereal it's not big government vs. small government, really. It was mostly silver standard and inflationary money policy vs. gold standard and anti-inflationary money policy especially since Bryan, in 1896 at least, mostly disregarded the more radical proposals of his populist allies, like an eight-hour workday or a graduated income tax, and focused on the "free silver" cause.

Interesting, perhaps less of an HP than I thought.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »

Cleveland/Bryan: 283
McKinley/Hobart: 164
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 05:21:42 PM »

I've read Cleveland was actually interested in running for reelection in 1896. But he was extraordinarily unpopular that year and had completely lost control of the Democratic Party.

Had his unpopularity been somewhat less severe and had he been able to win renomination, he almost certainly would have lost to the Republicans. A Cleveland run in '96 might also have been the greatest thing that could have happened to the Populist Party, which would almost certainly have run someone (perhaps Bryan) and would very likely have outpolled Cleveland.

Such a campaign might well have spelled the end of the Democratic Party and its replacement by the Populists, an outcome that quite a few people imagined at the time.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »

I've read Cleveland was actually interested in running for reelection in 1896. But he was extraordinarily unpopular that year and had completely lost control of the Democratic Party.

Exactly, he would have had no chance to defeat McKinley in the general election.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 05:47:26 PM »

For Cleveland to have had a shot at a third term, the Panic of 1893 would have had to have been the Panic of 1891. (Or some other change in events, such as winning in 1888.)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »

Cleveland gets demolished, probably comes in third in the electoral count.

In the North, 1893 takes a huge toll.  He probably does about as well as Bryan up North (that is to say, pretty horribly)...his more northern-friendly policies making up for his unpopularity.

The mountain states always hated Cleveland and definitely wouldn't vote for him in '96.

By 1896, he was absolutely *detested* in the South.  The Populist candidate (probably Tom Watson) probably wins most of the Deep South, possibly excepting Mississippi / South Carolina where the D next to the name might carry the day.

McKinley takes advantage of splits between Populists & Democrats in the border states (& Nebraska) to make inroads.

McKinley: 47%, 306 EV
Cleveland: 33%, 35 EV
Watson: 20%, 103 EV

(Being ungenerous to Watson's performance outside the South & West)

Populist success in the Deep South stifles the formation of the 'Solid South' just as it was coming together...changes a few things down the road, perhaps.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »

We Maryland Democrats are stubborn are'nt we;)  lol.  I think we are the only state that has'nt changed political affiliations once since the two party system emerged.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 04:24:12 AM »

He would not have been renominated.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 04:44:50 AM »

He would not have been renominated.

The Gold Democrats ran a candidate in 1896 which Cleveland endorsed.  If Cleveland had chosen to run he likely could have picked up their nomination.  Still, no way he could have won the election.
gorkay

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »

If Cleveland had somehow managed to secure the Democratic nomination, he never would have picked Bryan as his running mate. Bryan would in all likelihood have run as the Populist party's candidate (they wound up endorsing him in 1896 anyway), and his candidacy would have killed any small chance Cleveland had of winning. The GOP would have still nominated McKinley, who was their strongest candidate, so he would have won easily.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies