I think this is how parties should nominate candidates for Prez.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:31:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  I think this is how parties should nominate candidates for Prez.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I think this is how parties should nominate candidates for Prez.  (Read 15076 times)
awfernan2002
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2006, 11:43:43 PM »
« edited: June 18, 2006, 01:55:10 AM by awfernan2002 »

One of the frequent criticisms heard regarding the party nomination process is that Iowa and New Hampshire hold a very disproportionate amount of influence, and much of the nation's population has virtually no voice at all.  However, it is also argued that by staging the nomination in several small pieces, the field can gradually winnow down, there is greater opportunity for bartering and coalitions.  Moreover, voters can develop informed opinions in the early states by actually interacting with candidates.

I believe there is merit to both sides.

Thus, my proposal is to hold it in two stages. 

Round 1: National primary, each state holds their event the way they normally would and allocate (non-committed) delegates. 

Round 2: Top two or three finalists (measured in delegates not raw votes just as the nomination is) advance to run-off.  In my view, even if a candidate gains more than 50% of hypothetical delegates in this first round, we still go to a second round. This run-off takes place in the usual way, starting with few small states and so on..

I think three candidates in the run-off is a bit better in order to ensure that a consensus candidate can emerge, but you could argue for top two.  The beauty of this system is that the whole country has a voice and provides information about its preferences thus shaping the second round.  Then, the two or three finalists still receive intense scrutiny and field lots of questions from voters.  I don't think a one-shot national election-type nomination vote makes sense, because what happens when Pat Buchanan or Mike Gravel wins with 21% of the delegates?

Who benefits?  Well, perhaps a Rudy Giuliani who can buy tons of airtime nationwide but wouldn't necessarily do well in Iowa or NH specifically.  Conversely, it would probably be bad for a John Edwards, who relies on small-town politicking.  Regardless of the individuals, this system would arguably strike a nice balance.

What do you think?
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 01:12:23 PM »

I think starting off with a nationwide vote would really undermine the influence of the individual states.  The top three contenders in the nationwide vote will always be the wealthiest with the highest name recognition.  You see how Iowa and New Hampshire often establish a near-unstoppable front-runner, that would just happen on a much larger scale if there was a nationwide primary. 

My idea is rotate in every election year the order of the states.  The country should be divided into four regions, with no more than one state per region having a primary on any given week.  There would be two or four primaries per week, with two primaries per week at the beginning of the contest and as it nears the end switch to four per week.  The contest would take place between january and june, with conventions held in july.  I would also greatly reduce the amount of "superdelegates."

I also think that if Iowa and New Hampshire throw a fit about giving up their right to hold the first primary/caucus, they should be denied delegates at the convention if they don't hold their contest on the date selected by the national party. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2006, 03:59:05 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Have all the primaries be on one day, that would be fine.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »

Have all the primaries be on one day, that would be gine.

Wow. I have been saying that since 2000 and no one has ever agreed with me.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 06:50:29 PM »

I say do 5 primaries per Tuesday for 11 consecutive weeks.  Divide the states into 5 groups by regions of country and take one per each group each week.  Rotate so each state gets a chance each year to be first.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 08:54:32 PM »

Have all the primaries be on one day, that would be fine.

I agree completely. It is appalling to me that we let two states, states that do not even represent the whole country well at all demographically, have such a grip on the nominating process. This isn't an election for President of Iowa and New Hampshire, it's an election for the United States of America, and I don't see why every state shouldn't have the same ability to make their vote count.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 10:24:50 PM »

All primaries should be held on the same day, and it should be later, such as the first Tuesday of May.
awfernan2002
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 01:54:02 AM »

What are the dynamics that lead to a shift in this process?  It's interesting that even as other aspects of politics adapt to 21st century technology and priorities, the prominence of Iowa and NH remains entrenched.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 02:09:04 AM »

What are the dynamics that lead to a shift in this process? 

Armed revolution.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »

I like it the way it is.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:10:59 PM »

Why? It's totally unfair. Why should certain states always have more power than others when determining the candidates. The way it's set up, Iowans are  more important than New Jerseans or other states that have late primaries. That shouldn't be.
WiseGuy

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 03:28:27 PM »

I also agree.
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »

I also agree.

Could you guys offer an explanation as to why you think it would be better this way?  We know my point of view and argument, but i'd like to see why you guys prefer the nationwide primary. 
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »

I also agree.

Could you guys offer an explanation as to why you think it would be better this way?  We know my point of view and argument, but i'd like to see why you guys prefer the nationwide primary. 

It leads to better campaigns for the primary because they wont be able to turn it around half way through. This one-day primary forces candidates to give it all they have. In other words, it will eliminate the likelyhood of the candidates being two people who said the right thing on Super Tuesday. That's my main reason, that and it would save an anus load of time.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »

A national primary would make money an even more deciding factor in who gets the nomination. When we have a few primaries at first, at least person to person campaigning counts for something.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »

Let me suggest an alternative.

First, no more than one state in a region (northeast, south, midwest, west) may hold a delegate selction on a single day (this is to prevent a steamroller effect).

Second, the smaller states should get preference in the early selection process to offset the impact of money.  The formula for this is that delegate selection cannot begin in any jurisdiction before the first date of the month indicated in the following table (by delegate selection, I mean primary, caucus or convention), as indicated by the political size of the jurisdiction (state/dc/territority)

January                    No more than 4 congressional districts

February                  No more than 9 congressional districts

March                       No more than 17 congressional districts

April                          No more than 22 congressional districts

May                          No more than 44 congressional districts

June                         Any
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 06:03:02 PM »

I also agree.

It leads to better campaigns for the primary because they wont be able to turn it around half way through. This one-day primary forces candidates to give it all they have. In other words, it will eliminate the likelyhood of the candidates being two people who said the right thing on Super Tuesday. That's my main reason, that and it would save an anus load of time.

Is saying the right thing on super tuesday necessarily bad?  I think one of the biggest benefits to state-by-state primaries is the fact that candidates really have to look at the issues most affecting those individual states.  Unfortunately it doesn't count for crap once they are governing. 
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 06:09:51 PM »

CARLHAYDEN, i definitely think your idea is a fresh and very good one, but there might be a couple problems.  though i love the congressional district idea, most states that have few districts (think plains states or states like new hampshire) don't have much in the way of minorities, and often tend to be more conservative.  liberals and minorities might not like that idea.  secondly, residents of the biggest states would definitely complain if you force them to wait until the very end of the primary season, california would be the only state ineligible to hold a primary before june.  but with a little tinkering, i think that plan could definitely be successful. 
awfernan2002
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 08:30:16 PM »

Although I introduced this thread, I will somewhat play devil's advocate by suggesting that Cali., NY, other big states that don't receive fair amount of attention in the nomination process (not to mention in the general election) somewhat offset that by contributing lots of dough and support from political/media opinion shapers.  Granted, this is particularly true of NYC/Cali, but also NJ, PA etc. can impact the race that way.

Also, can states start stepping on Iowa and NH's toes by holding non-binding "Beauty pageants"?  I think Fla. has held a fairly important Nov./Dec. straw poll in the past, for example.  The key is to get buy-in from the candidates to show up - largely a matter of herd mentality as two key people can create a stampede.

Ultimately, this is a matter of game theory in that in a non-repetitive interaction, the most influential people in the parties will oppose anything to challenge early state supremacy.  Why?  Because many (or most) happen to be candidates or possible candidates for prez, and given the system is unlikely to change between now and the next election, the system is not challenged and is therefore perpetuated.  You would need a DNC/RNC chair without a dog in the fight to be empowered to effect change in conjunction with other leaders of party constituencies.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 08:19:06 AM »

All primaries should be held on the same day, that way the influence Iowa has over the election process is negated.  From there, the parties can identify who they want to nominate for the November elections.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 10:04:29 AM »

I also agree.

Is saying the right thing on super tuesday necessarily bad?

No, but it urks me how a candidate can be a pathetic waste of cells and organs for an entire year...and then finish second (or even first!) because they rattled off ONE good line of crap.
jman724
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 05:31:08 PM »

I also agree.

Is saying the right thing on super tuesday necessarily bad?

No, but it urks me how a candidate can be a pathetic waste of cells and organs for an entire year...and then finish second (or even first!) because they rattled off ONE good line of crap.

very true, fortunately one-line politicians usually see their campaigns crumble when the pressure is really on.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 11:29:26 PM »

The problem with having all primaries on the same day is in a multi-candidate race it's very unlikely any candidate will win a majority.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 11:58:03 PM »

All primaries should be held on the same day, and it should be later, such as the first Tuesday of May.

agreed. 
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »

I still think a sumo wrestling match would be the fairest and best method.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies