BREAKING - RONALD REAGAN HAS DIED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:05:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING - RONALD REAGAN HAS DIED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: BREAKING - RONALD REAGAN HAS DIED  (Read 15213 times)
MarkDel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 04:33:22 AM »

Here are some of my thoughts about what Ronald Reagan meant to my generation of Americans:

When Ronald Reagan was running for re-election in 1984, political commentators wondered about the reasons for the strong popularity among young people of this man old enough to be their grandfather. Having lived through that time as a young adult, I think I know why.

My generation grew up under the negativism of urban riots, the Vietnam War, Watergate, economic stagflation and the threatening spectre of Soviet aggression. My high school years were spent under President Jimmy Carter, and consisted of increasingly threatening developments at home and overseas. A very bleak picture of the future was painted for us at this time, with skyrocketing inflation, declining US power and economic downturn. Our whole lives were spent in a period of decline, so much so that we thought that was the only way conditions could go. It was only a question of how fast. The icing on the cake was the seizure of the American hostages by radical Islamic fanatics and Iran, and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, within weeks of each other. The talk at the time was of economic collapse and world war.

Against the backdrop of these developments, Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980. I cast my first vote ever for him that year, mainly because I thought anybody would be better than Carter. But Reagan did so much more than I expected. Almost as if by magic, the gloomy atmosphere that pervaded over a decade starting to lift once Ronald Reagan took office. For those of my generation, we learned for the first time that things can get better, and that we could have a bright future. By 1984, Reagan was talking about "Morning in America" and that really was how we felt, for the first time in our lives.

Many in my generation have prospered in the ensuing years beyond what we could have ever expected back in the dark days that preceded Ronald Reagan, as we were entering adulthood. I have always appreciated, and will always appreciate, the positive effect that Ronald Reagan has had upon the lives of my generation.

Rest in peace, Ronald Reagan.  You're in God's care now.

Dazzleman,

I've been trying my best to avoid posting on this forum, or any of the forums that I used to frequent because my blood pressure and overall mental health can longer tolerate the "foam at the mouth" Democrats I encounter these days, but I had to come out of my self-imposed exile to read what people were saying about Ronald Reagan's death. And then when I read this, I had to comment...

Thank you for writing what you did in this thread. I could not have summarized Reagan and what he meant to people in our generation any better than you did here.

I truly hope some of the pathetic teenage and college age left wingers on this forum actually take the time to read what you have posted. Some of these people complaining about the current economy should have actually lived through the mid to late 1970's the way we did and seen first hand what this country had become before Reagan. Double Digit Inflation....nearly double digit unemployment....20% PRIME Interest rates....gas prices when adjusted for inflation that were 2.5 times what they are now....etc, etc, etc....
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2004, 06:25:36 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2004, 06:57:02 AM by dazzleman »

MarkDel -

Thanks for your feedback.  You really shouldn't let the "foam at the mouth" Democrats get to you so much.  Positive examples of love always win out in the end against mindless hate, as we often see expressed by ignorant liberals today.  Ronald Reagan was also the object of that type of hate for taking positions that ended up benefiting the US and the world.  His liberal enemies called him an idiot, among other things, but today, he looks brilliant, and they look like the idiots they were and are.  I suspect history will repeat itself with their treatment of the current president.

Here are some more thoughts I had on the effect of Ronald Reagan in general (as opposed just to his effect on our generation):

When Ronald Reagan came into office, the country was deep in the malaise of the 1970s, whose symptoms included high inflation, military weakness and economic stagnation. Iran was holding American hostages and the Soviet Union was occupying Afghanistan. The top federal marginal tax rate was 70% of income.

The country enjoyed a great resurgence during his time in office. Inflation fell away and never returned as a real economic issue. Reagan's slashing of taxes led to an economic boom that continues, with some peaks and valleys, to this day. Reagan strenghtened the military and defeated the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

He was not perfect, but I think the country was in better shape as a result of his presidency than it would have been if those who opposed him had held power.

Reagan was the defining president of my young adulthood, and I cast my first vote for him. I was always a supporter of his, and I think the world owes him a debt of gratitude for his accomplishments.

Many ridiculed his stance against the Soviet Union, claiming that we had to live with them as they were. Many even in his own party opposed his initiatives to use our greater economic power against the Achilles heel of their dysfunctional economy. But it turned out that he was right.

Rest in peace, Ronald Reagan. We will miss you and will always be grateful for your leadership during a challenging time.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2004, 03:28:46 PM »

This was indeed momentous news. The most influential president since Franklin Roosevelt has passed away, and an era in of our times is over. He now belongs to history. My condolences are of course with his family.

Ronald Reagan was said to have rejuvenated America with a promise of a better nation at home and a renewed respect abroad. But to me, his presidency was one of dreams deferred and promises unfulfilled. For those in America who were well off, those years were indeed wonderful ones. But for those who were weak, who were vulnerable, they were painful ones that simply had to be endured, as their already tenuous existence became an even more precarious balancing act during the second coming of laissez-faire.

Ronald Reagan's foreign policy alienated the outside world. He supported the Nicaraguan Contras, even at the expense of opposing the popularly supported government. He intervened in Libya and Grenada, which merely caused civilian deaths and perpetuated a cycle of violence. He backed the Strategic Defense Initiative, which broughts us one step closer to the nightmare of nuclear holocaust. And that is to say nothing of Iran-Contra.

The tumultuous present now becomes the august past, and time at last has come for the muse of history to sound her judgment. We begin the process of remembering what has happened, but our perspective is still alive with the distinctly palpable memories of Ronald Reagan.

Migrendel, that was utterly insulting and a very inappropriate post to make here.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2004, 03:38:14 PM »

I disagree with Migrendel's points... but I don't see how it is insulting.
cole
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2004, 05:17:34 PM »

"foam at the mouth Democrats". "pathetic...left-wingers". "ignorant liberals". "[liberals] look like the idiots they are". yeah, lots of love here.

I give up. I just give up. I like politics, and I thought this forum looked interesting. but it's just the same here as it is everywhere else. it's impossible to have a discussion without people (on both sides, mind you) resorting to the same tired partisan sniping. have a nice life, guys. sorry to veer off-topic.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »

This is a thread memorating his death, and he's making a speech on how much he sucked. That's pretty insulting.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2004, 01:45:54 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2004, 02:17:41 AM by Michael Z »

This is a thread memorating his death, and he's making a speech on how much he sucked. That's pretty insulting.

I agree, it was inappropriate. This is neither the time nor the place for partisan rants. Democrats wouldn't like it if Republicans did the same over one of their political idols.
M

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2004, 09:07:19 PM »

This really tore me up. Even though I know he's in a better place now, and he had been suffering terribly the last few years, this hurt very badly.

Ronald Reagan is second only to Winston Churchill in the 20th Century. After the awful division and national doubt of the Vietnam and Carter eras, Ronald Reagan restored our country's hope and belief in the democratic process. Most importantly, at a time when most people though the USSR was eternal and detente was the best we could possibly hope for, he stood resolute and opposed the expansion of communism and began to push it back, until at last the evil empire crumbled and 500 million people were set free.

G-d bless you, Ronald Reagan. Because of you, Morning has dawned in Eastern Europe and Latin America, and we can all pray it will soon sweep the rest of the world. Ronald Reagan will live forever.

(On a much less serious side note, I figured out how to deal with Migrendel. I just read every one of his posts in my head with the voice of HAL 9000. You would be shocked how effective this is, I nearly laughed out loud several times reading his posts on this thread.

Also, I agree, politics off this thread. If you really want to win one more for the Gipper, than just go out into the world and do what he always did- stay true to your beliefs, and fight resolutely for what you believe in, but always with a smile on your face and warmth in your heart.)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2004, 09:54:40 PM »

A sad time indeed. Sad While I can't hope to match what Dazzleman or others have expressed, I'll just make a few comments.

Thank you, Ronald Reagan, for bringing back the light to the world. Thank you for not giving up in the face of idiot antinuclear protesters who thought you were more of a danger than the Soviets. Thank you for breaking the enervating mold of 60's radical liberalism. Thank you for at least presenting the viewpoint that endless government growth is neither inevitable nor necessary. Thank you for holding fast to your morals and beliefs, and for acting with warmth and grace, even toward your opponents. And thank you for being right about things, and for seeing that the insidious evil of Communism could be beaten, not 'accomodated'. The world has changed for the better because of you, even if I didn't agree with every one of your policies (many of them, yes, but not all Wink ). And anyone who can make the hard left go into conniptions by the mere speaking of their name is fine by me. Smiley

Take this tribute from one who was raised liberal, and raised to hate you, and who has cast off most of those shackles. Godspeed Mr. President.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2004, 10:07:49 PM »

A sad time indeed. Sad While I can't hope to match what Dazzleman or others have expressed, I'll just make a few comments.

Thank you, Ronald Reagan, for bringing back the light to the world. Thank you for not giving up in the face of idiot antinuclear protesters who thought you were more of a danger than the Soviets. Thank you for breaking the enervating mold of 60's radical liberalism. Thank you for at least presenting the viewpoint that endless government growth is neither inevitable nor necessary. Thank you for holding fast to your morals and beliefs, and for acting with warmth and grace, even toward your opponents. And thank you for being right about things, and for seeing that the insidious evil of Communism could be beaten, not 'accomodated'. The world has changed for the better because of you, even if I didn't agree with every one of your policies (many of them, yes, but not all Wink ). And anyone who can make the hard left go into conniptions by the mere speaking of their name is fine by me. Smiley

Take this tribute from one who was raised liberal, and raised to hate you, and who has cast off most of those shackles. Godspeed Mr. President.

Very well said.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2004, 10:09:18 PM »

Very well said.

Thanks. Smiley Good to see you back and posting!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2020, 12:02:31 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 12:39:54 PM by Nat. Sec. Council Member Dwarven Dragon »

A truly saddening moment for all
AtorBoltox

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2020, 12:08:49 AM »

Wow, I know the posts are 16 years old but this thread is civility politics at its worst
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2020, 12:18:16 AM »

BREAKING--RONALD REAGAN IS STILL DEAD
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »

Wow, I know the posts are 16 years old but this thread is civility politics at its worst
the people who didn’t have anything nice to say didn’t say anything, it seems
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2020, 12:27:04 AM »

I thought his son died.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2020, 12:27:26 AM »

I thought his son died for a second, hell of a zombie bump.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2020, 12:28:34 AM »

Which is a good thing. If this event had happened today, half the comments posted on this thread would be negative. I remember many of the responses that were posted in the threads about both Bushes and Charles Krauthammer.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »

It would be nice to compile a list of threads like this that took place during historic events, so we could peruse them in the future.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2020, 12:35:20 AM »

It would be nice to compile a list of threads like this that took place during historic events, so we could peruse them in the future.

Lol imagine if this event took place today and how different the thread might read.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2020, 12:39:43 AM »

BREAKING--RONALD REAGAN IS STILL DEAD

For a Republican messiah, he sure sucks at the rising from the dead part.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2020, 02:55:13 AM »

Lol imagine if this event took place today and how different the thread might read.

He'd be crazy old, even if it's only a year older than Roberta McCain.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2020, 02:57:29 AM »

He'd be crazy old, even if it's only a year older than Roberta McCain. Just think, if she lived in Arizona, she might be the only person living there who was born before it was a state.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2020, 03:10:34 AM »

Ronald Reagan, to me, to someone born the year of his re-election, to me as a Brit, alive and well in the era of Thatcherism and Reaganomics, to me Reagan is a cross partisan hero plain and simple. He was upbeat and determined, but humble and not an opportunist. Himself and Thatcher re-introduced the free and open market economic policies that allows us to this very day, to choose who will provide our internet connection or where we buy our groceries. They kept prices down and put the consumer back in charge. We owe everything to those two giants, one of whom has now passed on. To Reagan and to America I say your city is still shining on the hill, but for today at least, it is that little bit dimmer. Rest in Peace.

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2020, 03:32:33 AM »

Which is a good thing. If this event had happened today, half the comments posted on this thread would be negative. I remember many of the responses that were posted in the threads about both Bushes and Charles Krauthammer.

I mean, he was a driving force behind many of the policies that ushered in the massive wealth inequalities we experience today, so it's hard to see why he should get a totally free pass...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies