Reagan's Death - Effect on Bush's Ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:12:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Reagan's Death - Effect on Bush's Ratings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reagan's Death - Effect on Bush's Ratings  (Read 5355 times)
qwerty
Dick Nixon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2004, 04:32:54 PM »

I mean no disrespect to Mrs. Reagan and her family, but how do you think the passing of Ronald Reagan will help President Bush. Will people see Bush as carrying on Reagan's message?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 04:41:11 PM »

Everyone talking about Ronald Reagan fondly can't hurt him.  Might give a temporary boost.
zachman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 04:50:27 PM »

Bush's speech tonight could be a gain for him, although he probably won't rehearse it too much, so he could sound unpolished.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:52:00 PM »

It should have no effect.  People would not look fondly on Bush or Republicans if they looked like they were trying to gain a political advantage.  And God help any of the Dems if they let fly any moveon.org type rhettoric toward Reagan or any of his accomplishments.

May he rest in peace.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 05:13:04 PM »

And God help any of the Dems if they let fly any moveon.org type rhettoric toward Reagan or any of his accomplishments.

May he rest in peace.

Quite right.  

Now what were his accomplishments?  I mean, other than sending two nuclear powered aircraft carrier battle groups to Grenada, soundly defeating the four Cuban janitors on the island nation?

I simply cannot recall any other "accomplishments".  Oh! Yes!  Now I recall -- how Ronnie single handedly (and overnight) crushed the Evil Empire, thus tumbling the Berlin Wall.  Yes yes yes.  Silly me - I thought decades of "containment" did that trick.

Rest well, Ronald Reagan.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 05:28:49 PM »

Essentially none. Most people could care less. Those who do are as likely to be psychopathic ABB trolls as conservatives who simply mourn the loss of a great President. Not only that, those conservatives are Constitution Party freaks who b*tch and moan that "Bush is trashing Reagan's legacy", or some other nonsense.

Allow me a moment to grieve.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »

I have a feeling that his death will make people say 'It's such a sad loss, but im still going to vote for Bush/Kerry' It won't make much difference. At least hes no longer a candidate for the 'October suprise'
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 06:36:34 PM »

Fabulous photo.  Look at him -- all action, engaged in the world, as a president should be.

I was a bit young to recall Reagan in real-time, and while I dislike his policies, at LEAST he truly believed in them.
nemesis2004
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 12:59:33 PM »

Rest in Peace, Ronald Reagan.. even from those who did not like your policies. A lot has been said on Network TV in the last 24 hours-quite rightly too-about his sense of humour and good natured attitude towards his domestic political opponents. In fact have just watched Meet The Press and seen Sen McCain discuss the similar partisan nature of Washington in the early 80's yet extol his ability to "get together with Tip O'Neill and share jokes" after the day's work was done....pretty much the EXACT SAME, verbatim as what John Kerry has said in his statement on Reagan's death. Coincidental or what?...hmmmmmm

As regards the effect overall probably not much in the long term, when all is said and done. Had it happened closer to November perhaps. It may also make people see how much Bush has failed in comparison to Reagan as being a uniter..or maybe not!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 05:32:15 PM »

Of course it helps Bush.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 08:15:02 PM »

It does?  Look, I have no fondness for Reagan's presidency and his "philosophy" (more mentality, really), but the man was charming, and he was truly a great speaker.

Bush, on the other hand, speaks as if he's hooked on phonics -- hooked on something, anyways.  He speaks as if English is his second language!  He has zero charm, he is without gravitas, and he delivers a speech with all of the authority and conviction of a farting fly.  He stumbles, mumbles, he mangles names and places.

His posture is slouched and bent -- I think the Pope looked in better shape than Bush.  His hunched shoulders and bent frame suggests to the viewer that Bush is really thinking, "I need to vomit", more than "I shall inspire".

His comportment is that of an ex-drunk giving his first or tenth speech at "Toastmasters", not a leader eulogizing his "equal".  He leaves earthbound even the most soaring words  -- words no one would ever, ever suggest he wrote.

Now compare the Great Oraculator to the Great Communicator, and folks will conclude the same thing: Bush is a nobody president.  Bush most certainty will be dwarfed by Reagan -- dead, or alive.

Which will lead to the comparison of Bush and Kerry.  Whether you like or dislike Mr. Kerry, he can finish a sentence, and a thought.  He is educated.  He is smart.  In short, he ain't Stumble Bum Bush.  

Second point:  Reagan was a stud -- he really was.  A person posted this pix early in this thread:

Can you imagine how proud people felt, and feel, when they see this hunk of a man -- their president, a stud, talking about grand things with a noted world leader.   I dislike Reagan, but I was really touched by his "presence".

Compare Reagan with George W.  Bush.  This photo is from AP, taken on Memorial Day:

Compare and contrast.  Bush looks fussy, and bothered to be there.  The photo speaks to what I have written.

You tell me how Bush comes out ahead.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 08:19:16 PM »

It does?  Look, I have no fondness for Reagan's presidency and his "philosophy" (more mentality, really), but the man was charming, and he was truly a great speaker.

Bush, on the other hand, speaks as if he's hooked on phonics -- hooked on something, anyways.  He speaks as if English is his second language!  He has zero charm, he is without gravitas, and he delivers a speech with all of the authority and conviction of a farting fly.  He stumbles, mumbles, he mangles names and places.

His posture is slouched and bent -- I think the Pope looked in better shape than Bush.  His hunched shoulders and bent frame suggests to the viewer that Bush is really thinking, "I need to vomit", more than "I shall inspire".

His comportment is that of an ex-drunk giving his first or tenth speech at "Toastmasters", not a leader eulogizing his "equal".  He leaves earthbound even the most soaring words  -- words no one would ever, ever suggest he wrote.

Now compare the Great Oraculator to the Great Communicator, and folks will conclude the same thing: Bush is a nobody president.  Bush most certainty will be dwarfed by Reagan -- dead, or alive.

Which will lead to the comparison of Bush and Kerry.  Whether you like or dislike Mr. Kerry, he can finish a sentence, and a thought.  He is educated.  He is smart.  In short, he ain't Stumble Bum Bush.  

Second point:  Reagan was a stud -- he really was.  A person posted this pix early in this thread:

Can you imagine how proud people felt, and feel, when they see this hunk of a man -- their president, a stud, talking about grand things with a noted world leader.   I dislike Reagan, but I was really touched by his "presence".

Compare Reagan with George W.  Bush.  This photo is from AP, taken on Memorial Day:

Compare and contrast.  Bush looks fussy, and bothered to be there.  The photo speaks to what I have written.

You tell me how Bush comes out ahead.

What?  He looks emotional.  Your right, he looks bothered, but bothered by the emotional context of the situation, not by being there.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 08:26:18 PM »

Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 10:05:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If "snippy" and "prissy" and "sissified" are emotions, then yes, he was emoting.  Bothered by the context of laying a wreath?  Nope.  I don't see it that way, but perhaps I'm wrong.

So how does the photo of Bush stack up to Reagan's?  Bush still gonna "win big", courtesy of the Gipper?

agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 10:30:39 PM »

Yes, Kerry can finish a sentence.  Not only that but he has the unprecedented talent of being able to  take both sides of the same issue before he finishes it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 10:47:27 PM »

If "snippy" and "prissy" and "sissified" are emotions, then yes, he was emoting.  Bothered by the context of laying a wreath?  Nope.  I don't see it that way, but perhaps I'm wrong.

So how does the photo of Bush stack up to Reagan's?  Bush still gonna "win big", courtesy of the Gipper?

Excellent speaking skills does not a leader make. Hitler would be one example. He had the power to persuade and his words struck the hearts of the Germans. He by no means bumbled and fumbled as you like to say. Bush is well educated and intelligent. He's just not the best a public speaking. It's meaningless really.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 10:54:51 PM »

Of course there is a stark contrast between the personality of Bush and Reagan, but no less than the contrast between Kerry and Reagan. As far as policy, Bush is closer to Reagan than he is to his own father's politics as President. The idea that Bush is continuing the Reagan revolution has been written about extensively. All the media time spent on Reagan's presidency will remind people who voted for Reagan how similar the two men's conservatism is.

Reagan's death may soften a small but significant amount of Bush hatred, as loss has a way of clarifying emotion and draining frenetic energy.  Certainly no hard core Bush haters will convert, but more conservative Reagan Democrat types who were disenchanted with Bush might be inclined to give him a second look this summer.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 11:30:48 PM »

"Excellent"?  I'd settle for average.   The man cannot speak the English language -- he doesn't speak in complete sentences, his mind occasionally wanders off while in the middle of answeriing a question.  "Excellent" is nice, but being able to express oneself clearly is a considerable part of being employable!  What's that commercial on the Rush "Dr. Feelgood" show, "Fairly or not, people DO judge you by the way you speak"!

The topic of this thread was to comment on how Reagan's death will rub off on Bush.  I believe the two presidents -- Bush and Reagan -- will be "sized up", and Bush will be seen as a cruel hoax of a statesman -- out of his element, above his game, and utterly inferior.  You can make all the excuses you wish, but that comparison will prove unkind to Bush.

A more interesting question, perhaps, is who really remembers anything Reagan ever really accomplished?  I don't mean how he charmed  or wooed your average American -- I mean in terms of actual successes during his presidency.  The news has been a little "light" in that regard.  No wonder.  Aside from populating prisons with cabinet-level officials and trading guns with the terrorists in Iran, I'm having a difficult time recalling any.  Must be old age...

Ah, yeah.  Keep telling yourself that.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 11:36:44 PM »

"Excellent"?  I'd settle for average.   The man cannot speak the English language -- he doesn't speak in complete sentences, his mind occasionally wanders off while in the middle of answeriing a question.  "Excellent" is nice, but being able to express oneself clearly is a considerable part of being employable!  What's that commercial on the Rush "Dr. Feelgood" show, "Fairly or not, people DO judge you by the way you speak"!

The topic of this thread was to comment on how Reagan's death will rub off on Bush.  I believe the two presidents -- Bush and Reagan -- will be "sized up", and Bush will be seen as a cruel hoax of a statesman -- out of his element, above his game, and utterly inferior.  You can make all the excuses you wish, but that comparison will prove unkind to Bush.

A more interesting question, perhaps, is who really remembers anything Reagan ever really accomplished?  I don't mean how he charmed  or wooed your average American -- I mean in terms of actual successes during his presidency.  The news has been a little "light" in that regard.  No wonder.  Aside from populating prisons with cabinet-level officials and trading guns with the terrorists in Iran, I'm having a difficult time recalling any.  Must be old age...

Did you go to Yale? Anyways, it is what the man DOES that matters. I mean I could go for better public speaking skills but he still does get the point across. I find myself much like the man when speaking before public. He is the shy sort, that's mainly his problem. Other then bringing down communism, Reagan didn't do to much I guess! Roll Eyes  Oh yeah I forgot 525-13. But that's not really much of an accomplishment I guess. Roll Eyes
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 11:49:53 PM »

I have one.  He is given credit for getting us out of Carter's economic mess.  12% inflation, 7.6% unemployment, 14% interest rates, etc, etc.

At least the voters gave him credit for it given that he came within 3,000 votes in Minn. of sweeping all 50 states.  Someone must of thought he did ok.  I'll leave it at that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 11:54:52 PM »

Reagan wasn't THAT great!!!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 11:56:40 PM »

Did you go to Yale? Anyways, it is what the man DOES that matters. I mean I could go for better public speaking skills but he still does get the point across. I find myself much like the man when speaking before public. He is the shy sort, that's mainly his problem. Other then bringing down communism, Reagan didn't do to much I guess! Roll Eyes  Oh yeah I forgot 525-13. But that's not really much of an accomplishment I guess. Roll Eyes

No. Columbia.  Nor was I a "C" student, a "legacy" admission, or in a state of constant intoxification.  

But back to "Topic "A", as Tina Brown would say.   How will Bush be viewed when contrasted with Ronnie Reagan?

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 12:01:15 AM »

Bush is about equal to Ronald Reagan in their ideals. I imagine however the Reagan will be seen in a better light due to the fact that his personality is warmer. We will see how Bush does during his second term. And as for "a""b"c" student, it doesn't really matter. A college education isn't even a requirement to be president! As long as you are completely failing and no nothing I have no problem.
BushAlva

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 12:03:20 AM »

Of course there is a stark contrast between the personality of Bush and Reagan, but no less than the contrast between Kerry and Reagan. As far as policy, Bush is closer to Reagan than he is to his own father's politics as President. The idea that Bush is continuing the Reagan revolution has been written about extensively. All the media time spent on Reagan's presidency will remind people who voted for Reagan how similar the two men's conservatism is.

Reagan's death may soften a small but significant amount of Bush hatred, as loss has a way of clarifying emotion and draining frenetic energy.  Certainly no hard core Bush haters will convert, but more conservative Reagan Democrat types who were disenchanted with Bush might be inclined to give him a second look this summer.

I'll agree with that.  I was born just 13 months after Reagan was shot and just 15 months after Jimmy Carter handed over to Ronald Reagan.  I think Reagan was one of our best presidents ranking up there with Abe Lincoln and FDR.

I think Bush 43's policies are more like Reagan's than Bush 41's and therefore, to reiterate your point Mort, might increase his chances this November.

However, I must say that it could in some small way help Kerry, too.  Kerry was the first one, I think, of the two who suspended campaigning for the week.  John Kerry had some very respectful words for the late president and said nothing bad about him.  That, along with what I believe to be his refusal to attack Bush's character as a man, might give those Reagan Democrats even more reason to vote for Kerry.

I put those Reagan Democrats now into the "undecided" voters column.  Reason is that the death of Reagan could help both candidates.

If there are any Reagan Democrats in this forum, please feel free to say that you are or are not an undecided and to say which way you lean.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 01:42:04 AM »

Exactly how is Bush supposed to carry Reagan's message when he has trouble finishing a sentence?

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies