Question to Gustaf and other European Posters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:31:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question to Gustaf and other European Posters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Question to Gustaf and other European Posters  (Read 22425 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2004, 12:56:39 PM »

That touches on a good point. In America, the Republican Party in particular focuses a great deal of emphasis on what we in the UK at least would call 'non-issues.' Abortion for instance is in the mainstream unchallenged in the UK. If you personally disagree with it  (such as PM Tony Blair),then that is a personal issue, freedom of choice allows the freedom to say no as well as yes and has around 70-80% backing in the UK. One reason why we are an international centre for stem-cell research. Evolution is a NON (emphasis on the non!) issue, in fact it doesn't even cross my mind, it's just taken as 'go.' Luckily we have no second amendment, but the gun consensus is that they should be banned for personal use, even if it took us the Dunblane massacre in 1996 to realise it. Prayer in Public schools funnily enough is part of the curriculum in schools here, children of all faiths and none take part in Christian prayer (more often if you went to a state Catholic school like me) as well as learning about other faiths. The reason for this is that the issue has not been taken over by evangelical nuts. And as for gay rights in the UK? Well Civil Partnerships are on the legislatory schedule for this session of parliament...

The Republican Party is heavily commited to ideological, moral 'right and wrong' issues.  I think this is almost unique in the world.  For example Republicans support free markets not so much because they work well as because low taxes and private enterprise are *right*.  The social issues are definitely subject to disagreement depending on the wing of the party, but crucially those who are social conservatives are so because of moral imperatives they believe in regardless of practicality.  For example it is highly impractical to bann abortion or stem cell research, but believers don't care.  The GOP is a weird institution in the modern world - its based on principle, not practicality.. one reason I love it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2004, 03:43:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't have a dislike for Reagan...
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why not?  Bush is his direct descendant in every aspect.

Not in my opinion. Also, Reagan was the right man for his time in a way, I am not sure GWB is. I hold Reagan in high regard.
MarkDel

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2004, 12:14:47 AM »

Afleitch,

So if I understand your answer, you don't like the Republican Party because they are religious and opposed to abortion. So you allow symbolic issues that have little or no bearing on your life to lead you to draw broad conclusions about the viability of the entire party? Perhaps you could point out to me the legislation proposed by a Republican President that would OUTLAW ALL abortion? Or maybe you could point out the legislation proposed by a Republican President that would make it mandatory for US schools to teach biblical creation in classrooms?

The issues that you point out are issues of legitimate intellectual disagreement here in the United States, but the mainstream Republican Party does not push these issues in such a way that they would be MANDATED on the general population. Some far right wingers in the party do...but President Bush himself has stated that this nation is not yet ready to do away with abortion.

And as for your point on guns...well...gun confiscation has worked soooooo well for your country. Why don't you tell me what has happened to your violent crime, murder and gun crime rates since 1996???

Gun Control is the dumbest concept in the history of mankind. Let's think of the logic behind it...

Ok...we have a problem with CRIMINALS using guns...so why don't we make it a CRIMINAL act to possess a gun...that way, the people who WANT to commit crimes will be deterred from committing them because they'll be afraid to commit a CRIME by securing a gun. That's "circular logic" that might come out of the mouth of a 5-year old, yet is taken as gospel by proponents of Gun Control.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2004, 11:51:21 AM »

Afleitch,

So if I understand your answer, you don't like the Republican Party because they are religious and opposed to abortion. So you allow symbolic issues that have little or no bearing on your life to lead you to draw broad conclusions about the viability of the entire party? Perhaps you could point out to me the legislation proposed by a Republican President that would OUTLAW ALL abortion? Or maybe you could point out the legislation proposed by a Republican President that would make it mandatory for US schools to teach biblical creation in classrooms?

The issues that you point out are issues of legitimate intellectual disagreement here in the United States, but the mainstream Republican Party does not push these issues in such a way that they would be MANDATED on the general population. Some far right wingers in the party do...but President Bush himself has stated that this nation is not yet ready to do away with abortion.

And as for your point on guns...well...gun confiscation has worked soooooo well for your country. Why don't you tell me what has happened to your violent crime, murder and gun crime rates since 1996???

Gun Control is the dumbest concept in the history of mankind. Let's think of the logic behind it...

Ok...we have a problem with CRIMINALS using guns...so why don't we make it a CRIMINAL act to possess a gun...that way, the people who WANT to commit crimes will be deterred from committing them because they'll be afraid to commit a CRIME by securing a gun. That's "circular logic" that might come out of the mouth of a 5-year old, yet is taken as gospel by proponents of Gun Control.

Don't pretend like you don't know about a lot of murderers, opposed to other crimes, are committed by amateurs.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »

And exactly how many professional murders are running around?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2004, 01:44:07 PM »

And exactly how many professional murders are running around?

I don't know who you're asking, but my post was horribly constructed, so that was my point, in case it didn't get through. Murders usually aren't committed by professionals, since it is unprofessional to kill people. Therefore, gun control could well make a difference.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2004, 08:47:29 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2004, 09:11:20 AM by Old Europe »

Well, I´m new here, but I posted in other American politics forums before. So, I feel free to answer.

Can you please explain to me why you guys would spend so much time discussing the politics of another country, ...

The United States is the only remaining super-power and therefore the most powerful nation in the world. Decisions made by U.S. politicians may effect the rest of the world. Europeans are also discussing American politics in "their own "political forums. But here we can interact with Americans.

... and why you think you are in any way qualified to make judgements concerning complex issues of American politics in light of the fact that you don't live in this country?

I´m a fifth term political science student currently attending a seminar about U.S. electoral processes held by Canadian visiting professor with residence in a Boston suburb. Is that sufficient? Cheesy

Besides, I´m reading a lot.

Virtually 100% of the time they are well educated and decidedly LEFT of center in terms of their political ideology, always possessing a subtle anti-americanism that they generally hide very well until the debate gets heated.

I think the average American is simply more conservative than the average European, so a lot of Europeans are looking left-leaning to American.

For the "anti-americanism" thing... I always thought that the term "anti-americanism" is hard to define (and much more harder is it with "subtle anti-americanism"). I mean, where exactly begins anti-americanism? Where is the borderline between just critizing the U.S. and being anti-american?

Oh, well, saying something like "I hate all Americans and wish they would go all straight to hell" would be clearly anti-american, but what about more... eh, subtle statements, for example criticizing the practice of capital punishment in the United States. Is that anti-american too? Just my two cents...
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2004, 01:22:50 AM »

Old Europe. It's always nice to see another European here. Welcome!

About teaching religion and praying in the schools. It is funny thing that in most European countries, where people are much more secular than in USA, praying in the schools is common practice. In Finland about 85 percent of people are member of Evangelical Lutheran Church and most children participate religion lessons in school.
But despite that less than 5 percent of people go to church every Sunday! Church is place only for weddings, funerals, christenings and confirmations.

I think that one reason why USA is so much more spiritual is that there religion is familybusiness, not something which has been learnt in in school. Of course there are lot of religious parents in Finland who teach religion issues to their children, but I don't think that is as usual than in the USA.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2004, 01:09:32 PM »

Just like to point out I'm a republican and I do very much enjoy learning about other countries politicol platforms and not to mention seeing other parliaments engage in debates can be educational and entertaining.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2004, 01:34:28 PM »

Just like to point out I'm a republican and I do very much enjoy learning about other countries politicol platforms and not to mention seeing other parliaments engage in debates can be educational and entertaining.

Good to hear. "other parliaments" That would have to be the UK. At least the Swedish parliament is SO BORING that no one would want to see it. Entertainment value ZERO.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2004, 01:55:38 PM »

Good to hear. "other parliaments" That would have to be the UK. At least the Swedish parliament is SO BORING that no one would want to see it. Entertainment value ZERO.

the Greek, Itallian, Japanesse and Chinesse parliaments are very interesting as well...
bejkuy

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2004, 01:59:28 PM »

I agree with Huck Finn that religious practices have a lot to do with the difference between America and Europe.  The New England would be much like europe if it were it's own country.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »

the Greek, Itallian, Japanesse and Chinesse parliaments are very interesting as well...

Yes, the Italian parliament is very entertaining, mainly because Italian politics is just so chaotic... Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2004, 10:18:10 PM »

Chinese 'parliament'?  They have a parliament?  That would have to be a total farce.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2004, 10:20:40 PM »

Chinese 'parliament'?  They have a parliament?  That would have to be a total farce.

I has something like 5,000 members.  All party loyalists who do little and get paid a lot.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2004, 12:30:51 PM »

I has something like 5,000 members.  All party loyalists who do little and get paid a lot.

Like in every parliament in the world... Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies