Reagan's Death - Effect on Bush's Ratings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:22:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Reagan's Death - Effect on Bush's Ratings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reagan's Death - Effect on Bush's Ratings  (Read 5394 times)
BushAlva

« on: June 08, 2004, 12:03:20 AM »

Of course there is a stark contrast between the personality of Bush and Reagan, but no less than the contrast between Kerry and Reagan. As far as policy, Bush is closer to Reagan than he is to his own father's politics as President. The idea that Bush is continuing the Reagan revolution has been written about extensively. All the media time spent on Reagan's presidency will remind people who voted for Reagan how similar the two men's conservatism is.

Reagan's death may soften a small but significant amount of Bush hatred, as loss has a way of clarifying emotion and draining frenetic energy.  Certainly no hard core Bush haters will convert, but more conservative Reagan Democrat types who were disenchanted with Bush might be inclined to give him a second look this summer.

I'll agree with that.  I was born just 13 months after Reagan was shot and just 15 months after Jimmy Carter handed over to Ronald Reagan.  I think Reagan was one of our best presidents ranking up there with Abe Lincoln and FDR.

I think Bush 43's policies are more like Reagan's than Bush 41's and therefore, to reiterate your point Mort, might increase his chances this November.

However, I must say that it could in some small way help Kerry, too.  Kerry was the first one, I think, of the two who suspended campaigning for the week.  John Kerry had some very respectful words for the late president and said nothing bad about him.  That, along with what I believe to be his refusal to attack Bush's character as a man, might give those Reagan Democrats even more reason to vote for Kerry.

I put those Reagan Democrats now into the "undecided" voters column.  Reason is that the death of Reagan could help both candidates.

If there are any Reagan Democrats in this forum, please feel free to say that you are or are not an undecided and to say which way you lean.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies