What will happen in NH?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:16:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  What will happen in NH?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: What will happen in NH?  (Read 15103 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2004, 03:05:59 PM »

I think that out of all the candidate, Edwards has the best chance of winning now.  Edwards has personality (which Kerry lacks) and he has the Big Mo'.

I agree with that. Edwards might get overshadowed if he does badly in NH though. I think Edwards should hit NH hard, try to get one of the top 3, or at least a close 4th. That would keep him alive for SC, which is supposed to be his big breakthrough. Kerry is looking strongest right now, b/c he has nothing to lose in NH. The others could all go down in a heart-beat, if they're unlucky.
I think Kerry could lose a lot in NH.

The Democrats want earnestly to nominate someone "electable", and seem to be vetting their candidates one at a time.

Kerry's the front-runner, so now he gets the media scrutiny and the attacks (Clark is already on him: "It's one thing to be a hero as a junior officer...but I've had the military leadership at the top as well as the bottom". Yeah, and these guys both want to hand over the war on terror to the UN).

If the play between the story in the media and the NH outcome begins to look bad for Kerry, he could come out of NH crippled, just as Iowa crippled Dean. Then the Dems will look at Clark or Edwards, whoever's on top.

Will they find anyone electable?

You're still hoping for Lieberman, huh? Smiley

I don't think Kerry can do worse than the 3rd place he was in until recently. Even if he doesn't catch Dean it will be enough to keep him in the race, considering the Iowa win. If Kerry surges and then drops, it could hurt him though, that I agree to.
NHPolitico

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2004, 03:15:22 PM »

I think that out of all the candidate, Edwards has the best chance of winning now.  Edwards has personality (which Kerry lacks) and he has the Big Mo'.

I agree with that. Edwards might get overshadowed if he does badly in NH though. I think Edwards should hit NH hard, try to get one of the top 3, or at least a close 4th. That would keep him alive for SC, which is supposed to be his big breakthrough. Kerry is looking strongest right now, b/c he has nothing to lose in NH. The others could all go down in a heart-beat, if they're unlucky.

The Democrats want earnestly to nominate someone "electable", and seem to be vetting their candidates one at a time.

Kerry's the front-runner, so now he gets the media scrutiny and the attacks (Clark is already on him: "It's one thing to be a hero as a junior officer...but I've had the military leadership at the top as well as the bottom". Yeah, and these guys both want to hand over the war on terror to the UN).

If the play between the story in the media and the NH outcome begins to look bad for Kerry, he could come out of NH crippled, just as Iowa crippled Dean. Then the Dems will look at Clark or Edwards, whoever's on top.

I don't think Kerry can do worse than the 3rd place he was in until recently. Even if he doesn't catch Dean it will be enough to keep him in the race, considering the Iowa win. If Kerry surges and then drops, it could hurt him though, that I agree to.

I just can't see Kerry losing to Clark and I think that keeps him in the top two.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2004, 03:17:06 PM »

I just can't see Kerry losing to Clark and I think that keeps him in the top two.

Yes, I agree with that. I was just trying to imagine a scenario where Kerry got hurt by NH, like Mort suggested.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2004, 03:17:17 PM »

Mort there is no way Kerry is going under 3rd place, hell probably beat Clark and move into 1st or 2nd. The only shot Lieberman has is the Feb 3rd primaries. I think he should concreate there instead of of wasting his little funds in NH. He should move to like AZ and DE  or drop out
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2004, 03:24:57 PM »

Hey Mort, you should check out the Atlas Fantasy Elections! We don't have any Indenpendents so you could make it interesting.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2004, 03:27:02 PM »

Edwards has already moved past Lieberman in the NH polls, and he won't look back.

Hopefully Dean's crazy man routine and a poor showing in the Thursday's debates scare away enough voters.

I want to see something like

1. Kerry- 29
2. Clark- 27
3. Edwards- 18

Dean- 17
Lieberman- 7

I think we are going to see a lot of movement in the NH polls in the coming days.
NHPolitico

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2004, 03:28:05 PM »

Mort there is no way Kerry is going under 3rd place, hell probably beat Clark and move into 1st or 2nd. The only shot Lieberman has is the Feb 3rd primaries. I think he should concreate there instead of of wasting his little funds in NH. He should move to like AZ and DE  or drop out

Lieberman should move back to DC or CT and call it a day.  His campaign has been dead from the outset.  His apartment stunt just strikes people as odd here and we don't care for odd.  Odd Bob Smith is in Longboat Key, Florida, now, selling real estate.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2004, 03:37:41 PM »

Sharpton is still in it, now that's ODD
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2004, 03:41:33 PM »

I would love to see both Clark and Dean swamped in NH, because I don't trust either of them, and I'd like to see Joe come in at least 3rd.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, Clark is picking up a lot of liberal support and endorsements, perhaps courtesy of Bill Clinton.

I admit that at this point, it doesn't seem this is the year the Democrats want to settle on a guy like Joe, who supports pre-emption and doesn't exude the requisite "fire" on TV.

So, although anything can happen and I believe the guy would make a great President, I'm not allowing myself to hold out too much hope until the next unexpected event occurs.
NHPolitico

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2004, 03:45:57 PM »

Yes, I agree with that. I was just trying to imagine a scenario where Kerry got hurt by NH, like Mort suggested.

I guess if you buy into Dean's argument that it was the media's fault that he lost last night, you could see Mort's scenario playing out.  Dean made Dean lose and Clark will be the person that causes him to lose should that come to pass. Kerry is a much better candidate than he was a year ago.  He's better with the soundbite. He's more on message. He's looser. He and Edwards both seem to be hitting their strides at the right time, but Kerry has the cash from his mortgages to make a real run now.  Edwards, I'm not so sure.  So, I'm saying that Kerry won't Dean himself (I like that Dean is such a useful verb now).  He did that last year and learned from his mistakes. Had he not shown any evidence of learning from his mistakes, I'd be worried.   If Kerry falters it will likely be because of his beliefs. Dean didn't really lose because of his beliefs so much as his style.
NHPolitico

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2004, 03:49:07 PM »

Edwards has already moved past Lieberman in the NH polls, and he won't look back.

Hopefully Dean's crazy man routine and a poor showing in the Thursday's debates scare away enough voters.

I want to see something like

1. Kerry- 29
2. Clark- 27
3. Edwards- 18

Dean- 17
Lieberman- 7

I think we are going to see a lot of movement in the NH polls in the coming days.

That's a very reasonable prediction 17-20% for Dean is about right.  I think that you might be hitting high for Clark.  Kerry is here to be the "Clark" in this race.  He showed he could steal Dean's thunder already, so who knows with Clark. I think he may have a good shot at it, though Clark's ads are damn good.
NHPolitico

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2004, 03:51:21 PM »

Sharpton is in it as long as he's treated as a real candidate by the media and the other candidates. If he gets invites to debates, he'll stay in it.  I want to see Sharpton's primetime Boston speech.  Slap that donkey, Al!
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2004, 03:53:44 PM »

I already added that post to another topic, but then I thought that is right one.

Kerry will win in New Hampshire, but after that it will be Edward's turn. I think that he is going to win most states in supertuesday. Edwards is now rising star and he has right timing. Dean started his rise too earlier and Clark hasn't enough time. As New Englander Kerry hasn't credibility in South when Edwards is his mainrival.

in NH
1) Kerry
2) Dean
3) Edwards
4) Clark
5) Lieberman
NHPolitico

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2004, 04:03:11 PM »

As New Englander Kerry hasn't credibility in South when Edwards is his mainrival.

Not so fast. Kerry has already built a very serious coalition of vets across the country and he has the support of fire fighters. Both are held in high regard down South.  If he plays that up and plays up his plan to not raise taxes but on the "wealthy" in order to pay for health care and education spending (College Tax Cut, etc.), and cut out corporate welfare, he can do well.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2004, 04:04:06 PM »

I guess if you buy into Dean's argument that it was the media's fault that he lost last night, you could see Mort's scenario playing out.  Dean made Dean lose and Clark will be the person that causes him to lose should that come to pass. Kerry is a much better candidate than he was a year ago.  He's better with the soundbite. He's more on message. He's looser. He and Edwards both seem to be hitting their strides at the right time, but Kerry has the cash from his mortgages to make a real run now.  Edwards, I'm not so sure.  So, I'm saying that Kerry won't Dean himself (I like that Dean is such a useful verb now).  He did that last year and learned from his mistakes. Had he not shown any evidence of learning from his mistakes, I'd be worried.   If Kerry falters it will likely be because of his beliefs. Dean didn't really lose because of his beliefs so much as his style.
I agree with you completely. Kerry could and should fail because of his flip-flops an foreign policy, and Dean failed because of his campaign personality.

My point about the media is not that they cause these failures, but that they focus on perceived candidate weaknesses selectively, mostly focusing on the front-runner.

If a candidate survives the scrutiny, he may go on to win.

I just don't think the Democrats know what they want this year, or, if what they want is someone "electable", perhaps there's no one who fills the bill. Thus, there's an interesting play between the media spin and the sentiment of the voters.
NHPolitico

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2004, 04:16:21 PM »

I agree with you completely. Kerry could and should fail because of his flip-flops an foreign policy, and Dean failed because of his campaign personality.

What flip-flops? On the war? He's relaxed into a pro-war, anti-"its execution" position. He ran that way in Iowa and he should run that way here.  He has to be comfortable in his skin on the issue.

My point about the media is not that they cause these failures, but that they focus on perceived candidate weaknesses selectively, mostly focusing on the front-runner.

The issue there is that the media didn't really say that Dean's views are out-of-step with Dem voters. They focused on his style. That's what's easy to present on TV or in articles.  Frankly, there's hardly a dime's worth of difference between the policies of any of the Dem candidates, so there's not much there for the media to play off of.

If a candidate survives the scrutiny, he may go on to win.

I just don't think the Democrats know what they want this year, or, if what they want is someone "electable", perhaps there's no one who fills the bill. Thus, there's an interesting play between the media spin and the sentiment of the voters.

I think electability is an issue.  I think they think a candidate who voted in favor of the resolution, but bitched about the results ever since is more electable. I think they think someone who can be calm and relaxed and measured (as Bush is) is more electable-- and so on.  The candidates just have to play into that. The best actor wins!
Justin
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2004, 04:18:27 PM »

I think that up here in NH we will see Kerry as the winner. Kerry will use his surge from Iowa as an advantage and begin to poll ahead of Clark and take 2nd in the polls. Dean, due to his implosion in Iowa, will begin and continue to sink in the polls. Eventually sometime between now and the 27th, Kerry will eclipse Dean to be the frontrunner here in NH. I predict that a large number of Independents, moderate democrats, and possibly libertarians will vote for Kerry to give him a win in the primary. I also predict that Clark will win either second or third place.
NHPolitico

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2004, 04:22:38 PM »

I think that up here in NH we will see Kerry as the winner. Kerry will use his surge from Iowa as an advantage and begin to poll ahead of Clark and take 2nd in the polls. Dean, due to his implosion in Iowa, will begin and continue to sink in the polls. Eventually sometime between now and the 27th, Kerry will eclipse Dean to be the frontrunner here in NH. I predict that a large number of Independents, moderate democrats, and possibly libertarians will vote for Kerry to give him a win in the primary. I also predict that Clark will win either second or third place.

Let me be the first to badger you about going to the Atlas Fantasy Election section of the board (all the way at the bottom of the forum index page). Register by replying to the thread and choose your preference in the poll in the general election thread. Don't ask why. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Justin
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2004, 04:24:04 PM »

Let me be the first to badger you about going to the Atlas Fantasy Election section of the board (all the way at the bottom of the forum index page). Register by replying to the thread and choose your preference in the poll in the general election thread. Don't ask why. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I haven't got 18 yet. When I do I promise to register.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2004, 05:23:07 PM »

Trying to corrupt juveniles are we, NH? Smiley Wink
Justin
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2004, 05:28:18 PM »

Yep. Wink
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2004, 10:27:07 PM »

Sound slike a good call.  I predict kerry 1st, Clark 2nd, Edwards 3rd, Lieberman 4th, Dean 5th (at least he beats Shapton)
NHPolitico

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2004, 10:30:26 PM »

We're requiring voters to be 18 in the fantasy election?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2004, 10:34:20 PM »

We're requiring voters to be 18 in the fantasy election?

Actually you have to have 18 posts.
NHPolitico

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2004, 10:48:20 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2004, 10:53:34 PM by NHPolitico »

The Boston Globe Poll (released tomorrow) has Dean in second and Kerry first and Clark third, according to FNC.

FNC/UNH tracking poll (before Iowa's results!):

Dean 33
Kerry 24
Clark 18

I can easily see Dean's and Kerry's numbers flip-flopping soon.

ARG poll:

Dean 28
Kerry 20
Clark 19

CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll:

Dean 32
Kerry 25
Clark 21

Suffolk University of Boston for WDHD-TV poll:
Dean 23
Kerry 20
Clark 15