"Gay Rights" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:03:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Gay Rights" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Gay Rights"  (Read 10348 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« on: July 05, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »

One in 10 people are born gay. 

Where did you get that statistic?  I didn't even think they had officially proven that people are born gay.  I thought it was just speculation and theory.

Rin-chan

I believe the 10% figure is the one that Kinsey came up with.  There is a large amount of variance in the numbers depending on 1. the randomness of the polling, 2. the honesty of the polled (due to social stigma some people may not answer honestly), and 3. whether the poll involves self-identification of sexual orientation, asks if there have been multiple incidences of homosexual behavior, or asks if there has been even one instance of homosexual behavior (Some prison inmates will engage in homosexual behavior but claim to be straight.  Then there's guys who get drunk of fishing trips and fraternity initiations and the such).  Most neutral sources I've seen tend to indicate somewhere between 3-5% of the population self-identify as gay.

Secondly, there have been studies which show that individuals who are gay tend to have a higher percentage of gay relatives than those who are heterosexual.  That would tend to indicate a genetic factor in sexual orientation.

Thirdly, though some ancient civilizations (in particular the Greeks and Romans) engaged in both homosexuality and pedophilia, studies of the two find that peophilies are most often heterosexual, and the percent which are homosexual are about the same as the percentage of heterosexuals in the general population.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies