Who is the most misunderstood politician of recent years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:55:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who is the most misunderstood politician of recent years?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who is the most misunderstood politician of recent years?  (Read 2980 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »

Barnaby Joyce.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »

I wasn't on the forum at the time, but in the 2004-05 period, I thought that Ariel Sharon was a damn good guy.  Not enough to make up for his failings earlier, but he was definitely moving in the right direction and taking courageous steps for a real peace, and it was a tragedy that he was taken from us, leaving the world with imbeciles like Olmert, crooks like Netanyahu, and racists like (Avigdor) Lieberman.

Agreed.

I really can't stand Netanyahu. 
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 04:17:12 AM »

I'd probably argue that Pim Fortuyn would fit that bill perfectly. Every article I see that mentions him treats him like essentially the Danish Dutch Pat Buchanan, when nothing could possibly be further from the truth.

If Pim Fortuyn was even remotely like Pat Buchanan, I never would have liked him.

He's the Dutch Harvey Milk, except at a more national level than City Supervisor.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 12:57:27 AM »

He would be, if Harvey Milk were a hatemonger.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 12:59:43 AM »

I'd probably argue that Pim Fortuyn would fit that bill perfectly. Every article I see that mentions him treats him like essentially the Danish Dutch Pat Buchanan, when nothing could possibly be further from the truth.

If Pim Fortuyn was even remotely like Pat Buchanan, I never would have liked him.

He's the Dutch Harvey Milk, except at a more national level than City Supervisor.

Was Fortuyn gay?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 01:00:39 AM »

Was Fortuyn gay?

Yes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »

What an ignorance. First of all, Dutch gays didn't need Harvey Mild to be pathmaker, giving the social climate in this country.

Second of all, wss Harvey Milk operating an xenophobic and racist slogans in his campaign, huh?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »

He would be, if Harvey Milk were a hatemonger.

Touche       I usually find that phrase annoying, but it fits here

What an ignorance. First of all, Dutch gays didn't need Harvey Milk to be pathmaker, giving the social climate in this country.

Second of all, was Harvey Milk operating an xenophobic and racist slogans in his campaign, huh?

I am not proud of liking a politician who went around disparaging groups of people. My only reason for liking him was that at the time (2002), I thought he would/could be Prime Minister, and that having a gay prime minister was a huge achievement. If he was just a member of parliament, then there would have been nothing special about him b/c as you said, Holland is a tolerant place. I was comparing the two because Milk was the first openly gay politician in the US, and Fortuyn (may have been) the first openly gay national leader. It doesn't mean I support everything both of them ever did.

Another misunderstood politician: Howard Dean. He was more centrist than people knew. He had an "A" rating from the NRA. But he is usually portrayed as a far leftist.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 04:25:59 AM »

French ones: Alain Juppé, Michel Rocard, Raymond Barre
Michel Debré in a way (yes, Hash, Wink)
(and Lionel Jospin, Valéry Giscard d'Estaing the other way round: well overvalued)

And some weird, but "thought" picks:

undervalued:
Michael Heseltine
Jacob Zuma
Atal Behari Vajpayee
Lavrenti Beria
Pervez Musharraf
Gorbachev
Kohl
Mahathir Muhammad

overvalued:
José Luis Zapatero