Will China invade Taiwan? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:27:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will China invade Taiwan? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will China invade Taiwan?  If yes, when
No

Yes/2006

Yes/2007

Yes/2008

Yes/2009

Yes/2010

Yes/After 2010

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Will China invade Taiwan?  (Read 5397 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:52:48 PM »

China doesn't want to invade Taiwan.  They reason why they want Taiwan is for its industry base.  China's goal, I believe, is to adopt a policy similar to the one they have with Hong Kong: local autonomy and political freedom in exchange for Chinese dominance.  China wants to use its position as a growing superpower to pressure Taiwan (through the rest of the world, direct pressure, whatever) Taiwan until it becomes more advantageous for Taiwan to accept the crooked deal than to turn them down.

Taiwan would not be easy to take, they have an extremely defensive military (can you say, anti-aircraft missiles?) and they have strong political alliance with many countries China does not want to piss off, hah.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 06:51:33 PM »

Curious as to what yall think.  I say Yes/2006, maybe 7 if they have to deal with NK 1st.Smiley

You really can't wait for an all-out war in the Far East, can you?

I just want to see those countries corrected; if that means war, then absolutely.

The question is "if". War would cause more problems than it would solve.

No, war would eliminate it.

War is a magical pill that has no adverse side effects?  Oh golly, I hope someone declares war on *me.*

But seriously, war causes the death of innocents and much suffering.   Invading to eliminate suffering isn't always to the best solution.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:45:10 PM »

Curious as to what yall think.  I say Yes/2006, maybe 7 if they have to deal with NK 1st.Smiley

You really can't wait for an all-out war in the Far East, can you?

I just want to see those countries corrected; if that means war, then absolutely.

The question is "if". War would cause more problems than it would solve.

No, war would eliminate it.

War is a magical pill that has no adverse side effects?  Oh golly, I hope someone declares war on *me.*

But seriously, war causes the death of innocents and much suffering.   Invading to eliminate suffering isn't always to the best solution.

But invading to eliminate our elimination is.  If they take Taiwan, and just keep taking free countries, ultimately, we're next.

Come on.  If China ever becomes strong enough to take on the United States, it will be because of their industrial boom and huge population advantage.  We can punish China in many other ways than declaring war and causing millions of people to die.

Taiwan isn't even in the Olympics.  It views Taiwain (and constant Chinese propaganda doesn't help) like the North viewed the Confederacy - a province in rebellion.

I'm not saying we should let China take Taiwan.  Again, I think China is itching for a non-military solution that would allow them to gain Taiwan's industrial base without agitating the rest fo the world.  War would prevent them from doing either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies