President John Nance Garner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:29:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  President John Nance Garner
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President John Nance Garner  (Read 2341 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:01:55 PM »

On November 8, 1932, the Democratic ticket of New York Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt and Congressman and House Speaker John Nance Garner of Texas decisively defeats the Republican ticket of President Herbert Hoover, California, and Vice President Charles Curtis, Kansas.

Roosevelt and Garner take 58% of the popular vote compared to the 40% won by Hoover and Curtis.  In the electoral vote, the Democrats beat the Republicans 472 to 49.  Hoover and Curtis win only the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Delaware.

Roosesvelt and Garner were inaugurated on March 4, 1933, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt becomes the nation's 32nd President.

The new administration begins immediately addressing the problems of the Great Depression, with programs designed to stimulate the economy and to provide employment and relief for those affected by the depression.

Roosevelt and Garner win an even more decisive victory in the 1936 election, winning 61% of the popular vote and taking 523 electoral votes, against the Republican ticket of Kansas Governor Alf Landon and Chicago newspaper publisher Frank Knox, who take only 37% of the popular and only 8 electoral votes, winning only Maine and Vermont, thus the famous line, "As Maine goes, so goes Vermont," which is a play on an older line, "As Maine goes, so goes the nation."

On September 3, 1939, Britain and France declare war on a beligerent Germany, over the German invasion of Poland.  World War II is raging, and the European continent, and much of east Asia, is plunged into armed conflict.

The United States does not involve the nation directly in the war, but does provide aid to the allies.

America is making progress in recovering from the depression, and much of the world is now plunged into armed conflict, a state of war, when America and the world are shocked to learn of the tragic passing of President Franklin D. Roosevelt.  The President dies of a heart attack, while working in the oval office, on April 12, 1940, at 10:47 A.M.

Vice President John Nance Garner, presiding at a Senate session at the time, is immediately informed.  The Vice President rises to address the Senate, informing them of the tragic event, and makes his way immediately to the White House.

The Vice President arrives at the White House shortly thereafter, offers his condolences to First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and to other members of the Roosevelt family who are there at the time.

Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes has been informed, and comes over immediately.

Garner's wife, Ettie, at their home in Washington, has been called by the Vice President's secretary, and is told of the death of the President, and that her husband, who is to become the new President, wants her by his side.  Mrs. Garner is driven immediately to the White House.

On April 12, 1940, at 11:38 A.M., in the Blue Room of the White House, John Nance Garner, his wife, Ettie, by his side, Eleanor Roosevelt and some other members of the Roosevelt family in attendance, some cabinet officers and some Presidential aides as well, is administered the Presidential oath of office by Chief Justice of the United States, Charles Evans Hughes.  John Nance Garner, "Cactus Jack," first elected to the House of Representatives from his sprawling rural south Texas district in 1902, former minority floor leader, former Speaker of the House of Representatives, former Vice President, now becomes the nation's 33rd President.

The nation, and the world, face uncertain times.  The new President is determined that he will lead the United States of America through the troubled waters that no doubt lie ahead, and that he will do whatever is necessary to keep America from falling back into the abyss of depression and despair.  At the same time, the new President believes that he, and that the United States, will not be able to stay disengaged from the armed conflicts engulfing Europe and the Pacific for much longer.

President Garner convenes his first cabinet meeting the following day, and informs them, "We will do everything in our power to protect our interests, and, should it become necessary, we will fight.  We must be prepared."

So begins the Presidency of John Nance Garner.  Not since the time of Abraham Lincoln has a President come to office where America faces a more troubling time, a more dangerous world, or a foe that threatens the very foundations upon which America is founded, justice, liberty, and freedom.   
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 10:06:03 PM »

I think there's a more plausible storyline for Garner becoming President.

From Wikipedia:

In February 1933, an assassin, Giuseppe Zangara, fired five shots at Roosevelt, missing him but killing the Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak.

Roosevelt is shot at in Miami as President-elect, he dies, and Garner is inaugurated President.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 10:17:46 PM »

From Wikipedia:

In February 1933, an assassin, Giuseppe Zangara, fired five shots at Roosevelt, missing him but killing the Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak.

Roosevelt is shot at in Miami as President-elect, he dies, and Garner is inaugurated President.

That timeline has been done many times before and it always turns out that everything goes to hell because Roosevelt wasn't there to protect us, which I think is a bunch of bullsh**t but whatever. This is more interesting because this scenario focuses more on Garner's handling of WWII and the aftermath then on his dealing with the Great Depression.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 10:18:50 PM »

From Wikipedia:

That timeline has been done many times before and it always turns out that everything goes to hell because Roosevelt wasn't there to protect us, which I think is a bunch of bullsh**t but whatever. This is more interesting because this scenario focuses more on Garner's handling of WWII and the aftermath then on his dealing with the Great Depression.

Garner was no Roosevelt.  He wouldn't have run for a third term probably.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 04:13:35 PM »

The new President must now decide his own political future.

President Garner acts swiftly and decisively.

On the evening of Monday, April 15, 1940, the President addresses the nation in a national radio broadcast.

"My fellow Americans, it is with a heavy heart and with a great deal of emotion that I address you tonight.  Mere words cannot express the great loss this nation has suffered with the death of our great leader, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  My heart goes out to Mrs. Roosevelt and to the rest of the Roosevelt family, and I express on behalf of my wife, Ettie, and myself, and on behalf of the United States of America, heartfelt condolences and our deepest sympathy at this time of great personal loss for the family.  Having worked closely with President Roosevelt for the past eight years, I can attest to the wisdom and the  great leadership that Mr. Roosevelt brought to the Presidency and to the nation."

"I want to assure the people of this nation that as President, I will do everything in my power to continue the work begun by President Roosevelt."

President Garner then makes a press announcement on April 22, 1940.

"I have been serving the people of this nation in a public capacity since 1902.  We are living in perilous times.  I will be putting the experience I have gained over the past 38 years in service to this country in seeking the Democratic Presidential nomination for a full term as President in the 1940 election.  I believe I possess the experience and the qualities necessary to lead America at this most challenging of times in history."

With that, President Garner serves notice to the Democratic Party that he is running for the nomination, and that he will be using his experience, and the power and the prestige of the Presidency to achieve it.

Garner campaigns for the nomination based on the necessity for continuity, and the troubled times that lie ahead.  This is no time for America to change directions, he argues.

Garner is successful in winning the Democratic nomination.  Only Michigan Senator Prentiss Brown emerges to challenge the President.

President Garner is nominated on the first ballot at the Democratic Natioinal Convention in Chicago, held July 15-18.

The President makes it clear to convention delegates that he wants Secretary of War Harry Woodring as the Vice Presidential nominee.  He gets his way, and Woodring is nominated on the first ballot.

Garner likes Woodrings' qualifications and feels comfortable that they will work well together.  Woodring had been Governor of Kansas 1931-1933, Assistant Secretary of War 1933-1936, with supervision over procurement matters, and has been serving as Secretary of War since 1936.  Like Garner, Woodring advocates increasing the strength of the regular army, the national guard, and the reserve corps.

Garner promptly nominates Henry L. Stimson as the new Secretary of War, and Stimson wins quick approval.               

On the Republican side, at the convention in Philadelphia held June 24-28,  experienced Michigan Senator Arthur Vandenberg emerges as the compromise choice of the convention, defeating other prominent  and front running candidates, Ohio Senator Robert Taft, and Manhattan District Attorney Thomas Dewey.

The strongest challenge, however, came, surprisingly, from industrial executive Wendell Wilkie of Indiana, who had never held political office.  Wilkie pushes the convention to six ballots, before the politically experienced and well respected Senator Vandenberg is successful in securing the nomination.   

Minor candidates who make a run for the nomination include Congressman Joseph Martin of Massachusetts, publisher Frank Gannett of Rochester, NY, and Pennsyvania Governia Arthur James.

Senator Vandenberg lets it be known that he wants experienced and capable Maine Senator Wallace H. White for Vice President.  White had been a Congressman from Maine from 1917-1931, and has been a Senator since 1931.

White wins the Vice Presidential nomination on the first ballot. 

The 1940 campaign for the Presidency is about to be engaged.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:07:51 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2006, 05:11:00 PM by Winfield »

The 1940 election campaign proceeds apace.  The Democrats are stressing the need for continuity in these troubled times, and that President Garner will carry on with the progress achieved by President Roosevelt.  The Republicans are stressing Senator Vandenbergs well regarded qualifications in the foreign policy field.

The election results turn out to be far closer than anyone, even optimistic Republicans, expect. 

Democrat, Garner/Woodring          269 EV  49.5% PV 
Republican, Vandenberg/White      262 EV  49.8% PV
Other                                                  0 EV    0.7% PV

Vandenberg actually slightly outpolls Garner in the popular vote, given the heavy Republican margins in the populous northeast, as well as in the large states of Ohio, Illinois, and his home state of Michigan.   Garner, however, was able to hang on, to win a razor thin margin in the electoral vote.

(Ignore the numbers on the map, the actual electoral vote count for a 1940 map is 269/262)

In organizing his new cabinet, and in an effort to form a more representative government in a time of turmoil and crisis, and given Arthur Vandenberg's expertise in the geo political field, as well as Vandenberg's popularity in the nation, President Garner nominates Vandenberg as the new Secretary of State, replacing Cordell Hull.  Vandenberg is pleased with his nomintion, and accepts it "as a great honor."  Vandenberg's Senate seat is up for election in 1940, and he would, therefore, not be going back to the Senate.  Vandenberg wins quick and unanimous approval in the Senate as Secretary of State.  Hull continues his public service by representing the government in various diplomatic capacities.

Republican Vice Presidential nominee Wallace H. White continues to serve in the Senate, as his Senate seat is not up until 1942.

John Nance Garner, at age 72, the oldest President in the history of the nation, is sworn in for a full term as President on Monday, January 20, 1941, on the East Portico of the Capitol, by Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes.

The Garner administration continues on with the work they had begun after his first swearing in, bringing in measures to continue to revitalize the economy, and to be ready to go to war, if, and when, that event should become necessary.

Then, disaster strikes.  December 7, 1941, a mere eleven months after his inauguration, forces of Japan attack and devastate the American base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

President Garner addresses a joint session of Congress, and the nation, and war is declared on Germany and on the Empire of Japan.

"This unprovoked and unspeakable act of treachery shall not go unanswered.  As of midnight tonight, this nation is in a state of war with Germany and the Empire of Japan.  This axis of evil, treachery, and greed is about to feel the full military might of the United States of America.  We shall not rest until the complete and unconditional surrender of Germany and Japan has been achieved.  There will be no compromise.  Long live the cause of freedom and liberty.  God bless America."

America's war preparedness efforts are ramped up.  U.S. troops are mobilized to Europe and the Pacific.  The homefront is focused on keeping the engines of commerce running smoothly, and on keeping the military well equipped, and in a state of constant preparedness.

Germany and Japan continue to make progress in the War, and the late summer of 1942 seemed to be the darkest period of the war for the Allies.  Yet, the Axis war machine was by then showing signs of wear, while the United States was only beginning to realize its potential.  By the fall of 1942 through the winter of 1943, the situation started to move in the Allies direction, and culminated in the D-Day invasion of German occupied France, which began June 6, 1944, on the beaches of Normandy, and spelled the beginning of the end for the Axis agressors.               

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:51:30 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2006, 08:53:37 PM by Winfield »

Remarkably, President Garner, age 76, goes for a second full term, and is nominated on the first ballot at the Democratic National Convention, held July 19-21, in Chicago.  Vice President Harry Woodring, age 54, is again nominated as the Vice Presidential candidate.

President Garner tells the convention and the nation, "The end of this war is in sight, and I intend to be there to lead America through to it's successful conclusion." 

At the Republican National Convention, held June 26-28, also in Chicago, Governor Thomas E. Dewey, age 42, the famed crime busting Manhattan District Attorney, who has been Governor since 1943, is nominated for President on the first ballot.  Dewey wants, and gets, Ohio Governor John W. Bricker, age 51, for Vice President.  Bricker has been Governor since 1939.

Dewey tells the convention, and the nation, "Victory in the war in Europe and in the Pacific is within our grasp.  With the inevitable victory will come inevitable new challenges and new opportunities for America.  These new challenges and new opportunities will require a new approach, a new way of looking at the world, a new genertion of leadership.  My friends, my fellow Americans, I stand before you today, prepared and capable of providing that new generation of leadership."

America agrees with Dewey.  Dewey and Bricker are handed a landslide election victory, and a huge vote of confidence from the American public, to provide the nation with new leadership.  Garner and the Democrats have been confined to their "solid south" bastion.

Republican, Dewey/Bricker          375 EV   53% PV
Democrat, Garner/Woodring       156 EV   46% PV
Others                                             0 EV     1% PV

The Garner Presidency comes to an end.  President Garner retires to his home in Uvalde, Texas, managing his extensive real estate holdings, spending time with his great grandchildren, and fishing, something for which he has always had a passion, but, of late, little time to pursue.  Garner never loses his interest, however, in what is happening on the national political scene.   

Vice President Woodring returns to his Kansas home, and remains active in politics there.

The Dewey era is about to begin.  The new President's abilities, courage, and mettle are about to tested.  His first and foremost task, to inspire and lead the nation through to the successful conclusion of the armed conflict still raging in Europe and the Pacific, and to keep alive the unflagging spirit of freedom, justice, and liberty, the very foundations upon which America is founded.  The new President, and Vice President, John Bricker, will have no shortage of challenges they will be facing over the next four years.       
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 08:02:45 PM »

A short, alternative 1944 scenario, as it would be unlikely for 76 year old John Nance Garner to seek a second full term as President.

On Monday, January 3, 1944, President John Nance Garner announces that he will not be seeking another term as President, and that he will be leaving office upon the swearing in of the new President.

Garner's wealth of political experience and his shrewd political instincts tell him to step down gracefully.  Even in 1940, while campaigning vowing to carry on the legacy of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Garner barely squeaked out a victory.

The Democrats nominate experienced and respected 54 year old Senator Millard Tydings of Maryland for President, and the up and coming 47 year old Senator Richard B. Russell of Georgia for Vice President.

Tydings brings an impressive background to the Presidential race.  He served in the U.S. army during World War I, and was promoted to the office of Lieutenant Colonel.  He is a lawyer by profession.  Tydings served in the Maryland House of Delegates 1916-1922, and served as Speaker of the House of Delegates 1920-1922.  He served in the Maryland State Senate 1922-1923.  He served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives 1923-1927, and has been a member of the U.S. Senate since 1927.

Russell served as Governor of Georgia 1931-1933, and has been a U.S. Senator since 1933.

The Republicans nominate 42 year old Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York for President, and 51 year old Governor John W. Bricker of Ohio for Vice President.

The election results

Republican, Dewey/Bricker          304 EV  52% PV
Democrat, Tydings/Russell           227 EV  47% PV
Other                                               0 EV     1% PV

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies