What are private school kids good for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:08:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What are private school kids good for?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What are private school kids good for?
The big parties

The drugs

The big houses

The joyrides-Benz/BMW

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: What are private school kids good for?  (Read 2968 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2005, 06:35:38 PM »

I went to a private Catholic school.  My dad was a mailman, my mom a telephone operator and we rented our apartment.  My parents sacrificed things for themselves so they could send us to better schools that provided a value system.  This poll is designed on a bad Aaron Spelling stereotype.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »

I went to a private Catholic school.  My dad was a mailman, my mom a telephone operator and we rented our apartment.  My parents sacrificed things for themselves so they could send us to better schools that provided a value system.  This poll is designed on a bad Aaron Spelling stereotype.

No, just a different type of school.  This type definitely exists, just as your typical parochial school for middle-class whites who want to avoid the blacks without moving to the suburbs.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2005, 06:57:46 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2005, 06:59:49 PM by patrick1 »

No, just a different type of school.  This type definitely exists, just as your typical parochial school for middle-class whites who want to avoid the blacks without moving to the suburbs.

Most parochial schools in the NY area are more diverse than the public schools.  The neighborhoods around here are not integrated racially so the Public schools tend to be either all white/sprinkling of asian/anglo-latinos or all black/hispanic.  Catholic schools are regional and not neighborhood driven so it is more diverse.  However, many white kids in heavily minority districts 80% and stuff like that  send their kids to a diverse Catholic school in Queens for safety and quality reason.  The exclusive type schools desribed in this polls are usually reserved for rich liberals and corporate types in Manhatten and they are not religious in nature. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2005, 07:04:48 PM »

The exclusive type schools desribed in this polls are usually reserved for rich liberals and corporate types in Manhatten and they are not religious in nature. 

Very true!  And they are the first step on the road to upper-middle to upper-class privaledge in our heirarchical society.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 07:07:25 PM »

The exclusive type schools desribed in this polls are usually reserved for rich liberals and corporate types in Manhatten and they are not religious in nature. 

Very true!  And they are the first step on the road to upper-middle to upper-class privaledge in our heirarchical society.

Hope they don't forget their lattes. Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 07:09:15 PM »

*frown* I never did drugs, I don't own a Mercedes or BMW, I don't do parties, and I don't own a house.

I went to a private school.  Cost was US$5,000 per year for the family.

I can also say without hesitation that I'm better educated than most Canadians that come out of a public school.  They are simply not taught anything at this time anymore.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 07:10:23 PM »

I'm curious:  Where did you go to High School?  Did you slum it with the proles?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 07:15:22 PM »

I'm curious:  Where did you go to High School?  Did you slum it with the proles?

I grew up on the exurban fringes, and decent private schools were fairly far away.  I was given the option of the Catholic high school (had attended parochial school for a few years prior to that), but opted for the public one out of disgust with the religious. 

This public high school was of fine quality, but of course did contain many terribly poor youths.  I remember being fairly unaware of such things untill I turned 16, and noticed that while I recieved a new automobile, many others had very old and shabby ones, and a few none at all!  Later I figured out that new cars were a silly waste, but at the time it was an eye opener.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 12:53:11 AM »

Well, there's a distinct difference between Private Schools (the Andovers and Exeters of the world), Private Schools, and Parochial Schools.

Going to a college where 50% (yikes!) of the student body went to public schools, I get to see all three.  Well, not too many of the last one.

The spoiled-brat private school kid stereotype is a bit overhyped (I know plenty of people who went to private schools who turned out just fine)...but it definitely exists.  Oh my, do they exist...

Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 07:26:54 AM »

I'd say over 50% of my university is from private schools too.  Public shools just don't have what it takes.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 12:03:47 PM »

I was privately educated too, but thanks to New Labours fierce taxation of the middle class student I'm priced out of even the cheapest of homes.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 01:27:21 PM »

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I'm glad you don't own that particular one, what a mess.
anyways, like I said, it would look much better if it had 4 doors, I'm not really simpathetic to carrs with a rear like that. You either have a stationw agon or a sedan, not both.
And I know, my dad's former taxi was an opel vectra like that.

Your dad was a taxi driver?  Wow, sounds poor.  I drove a taxi during grad school.  I like big Citroens.. forget the model names.

Not was, is. Just the vehicle is now a mercedes C.
But that's his own business, in fact, most taxis in Lisbon are one car companies. He actually has a hired driver and they work in turns.

Interesting.  What is the average income from something like that?  In America taxi drivers are impoverished starvlings.

well, I can't really say average, and I can't even say our own. But I suppose it goes around 20000/25000€ a year(consider the cost of living is much lower here).

Wow, the cost of living lower in a Euro country than in the US?  Portugal must be a pretty cool place. 

I think a taxi driver here makes maybe $20,000/year - starvation wages.

Given that our average wage is about 700€(I may be overecalling), it better be.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2005, 01:32:48 PM »

I went to private school, and to this day I am conflicted about it. I realize that I was insulated from quite a bit to which I should have been exposed, but the furtive sexual encounters and drunken revelry certainly gave me about as fun of a childhood as any for which anyone could have hoped.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 06:07:35 PM »

I went to private school, and to this day I am conflicted about it. I realize that I was insulated from quite a bit to which I should have been exposed, but the furtive sexual encounters and drunken revelry certainly gave me about as fun of a childhood as any for which anyone could have hoped.

That sounds like great fun!  Did any of the teachers participate?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2005, 06:22:37 PM »

I can also say without hesitation that I'm better educated than most Canadians that come out of a public school.  They are simply not taught anything at this time anymore.

All this time I went through public school thinking I was learning something.  I guess I was sadly mistaken. Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »

My favorite facet of Mississippi private schools is the blatant racial hatred of blacks.  But from what I hear it's not like that everyone.
I'll definitely send my kids to public school though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2005, 02:43:02 PM »

parties- ok
drugs- better, but still
big hosues- no
joyrides- yes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length