Question for Al (or other British posters)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:33:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Question for Al (or other British posters)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Al (or other British posters)  (Read 754 times)
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2006, 04:13:57 PM »

Back in the time when politics was taking shape in Britain that has evolved into the current party system, the two rival groups were Whigs and Tories. The modern day Conservatives evolved from the Tories I assume since they are still referred to  as Tories. I also assume the old Liberals evolved from the Whigs (I realize the Liberals merged with the Social Democrats roughly 20 years ago). Is that accurate? Why is the term "Whig" not used anymore? I also realize Labour doesn't fit into this mix since they didn't come along until later. I await my education! Thanks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »

The quick answer is that in the 19th century only the right-wing of the Liberals were called Whigs; the "left" of the party were usually described as Radicals (and some had never had anything to do with the pre-1832 Whigs at all).
Most of the higher-profile Whigs (remember both the Liberals and Conservatives were top-down parties), eventually, found their way over to the Tories (often via the Liberal Unionists (a party that broke away from the Liberals over Gladstone's policies on Ireland) which was, ironically, led by Joe Chamberlain, who was very much a Radical), meaning that the name was, basically, dead by the early 20th century.

As a side note, what was left of the old Radical wing of the Liberal party (although they'd obviously ceased to use the name) was wiped out in the early 1950's. Most of them later joined Labour (Megan Lloyd George is the best known example, but there are others).
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 04:48:51 PM »

Thanks, Al. I was looking for just such an overview.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies