Israel & Lebanon war-ish
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel & Lebanon war-ish
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Israel & Lebanon war-ish  (Read 12883 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 11:01:40 PM »

What ever happened to peace and diplomacy?

Hizballoh attacked Israel with rockets.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 11:07:44 PM »

I have a feeling that Syria may be drawn into this sooner or later.

Which could be devastating.

Think about it: Syria is supporting Hezbollah. From time to time Israel even hits targets inside Syria. Let's say that happens, or someone thinks it did, and the Israel/Syria border becomes ugly.

Enter Iran. Iran's President might follow up on his threat and launch missiles (which may or may not be nuclear) at Israel and perhaps Iraq, and invade Iraq intending to 'liberate it' from 'Zionist oppressors'. Boom. Big war, possibly World War Three.
    If Iran were to contrubite forces to this how would he even get them to Syria, The only route I can think of is over the Indian ocean through the Horn Of Africia up through Libya then a sharp turn to Syria, thats an air route they could take but it would be too long to bring in convential ground forces quickly.         
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 11:40:30 PM »

Worst case scenario for this probably goes like this:

Syria becomes involved either via an outbreak of conflict in the Golan Heights or through Hezbollah. It then moves troops both into Lebanon and South against the Golan Heights and Israel. It will probably claim to be protecting Lebanese sovereignty from the evil Zionists or something akin to that.

Iran, because it has a mutual defence pact with Syria, send troops, weaponry etc. into Lebanon through Hezbollah and directly to the Syrian armed forces.

Nobody can move ground troops except Israel and the US, for they have air superiority.  The only why Syria becomes involved is if Israel goes looking for more targets to hit.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 11:45:51 PM »

Worst case scenario for this probably goes like this:

Syria becomes involved either via an outbreak of conflict in the Golan Heights or through Hezbollah. It then moves troops both into Lebanon and South against the Golan Heights and Israel. It will probably claim to be protecting Lebanese sovereignty from the evil Zionists or something akin to that.

Iran, because it has a mutual defence pact with Syria, send troops, weaponry etc. into Lebanon through Hezbollah and directly to the Syrian armed forces.

Nobody can move ground troops except Israel and the US, for they have air superiority.  The only why Syria becomes involved is if Israel goes looking for more targets to hit.
Which is likely.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 11:52:54 PM »

Which is likely.

Good, that would mean Israel is getting wiser.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 01:10:06 AM »

If we had a President, he'd tell Israel to take some chill pills.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 06:17:42 AM »

If we had a President, he'd tell Israel to take some chill pills.

allow me to use an opebo phrase,,,,

jfern, you silly ass...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 08:14:20 AM »

Hezbollah started this and Israel will finish it!

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »

Well, of course the crazy neocons would like to start World War 3.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

Do you honestly expect Israel to stand back and allow Hezbollah to launch rocket attacks and incursions into her sovereign territory?

Surprising as it may seem, seldom, if at all, have Israel been the aggressor since its inception as a sovereign state in 1948

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 08:24:32 AM »

Do you honestly expect Israel to stand back and allow Hezbollah to launch rocket attacks and incursions into her sovereign territory?

Surprising as it may seem, seldom, if at all, have Israel been the aggressor since its inception as a sovereign state in 1948

Dave

Quit acting as if only Hezbollah has been to blame. What Hezbollah did was retalaition for something else. It's this kind of insane thinking that started World War I. Why are you chickenhawks not in Iraq?

And before you claim that those of us against starting random wars are against fighting a war that needs to be fought, I remind you that FDR said "war is hell".
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 08:28:18 AM »

Dave

I have to admit that I find it quite interesting how Hamas and Hezbollah launching rocket attacks on Israel hardly made the news here, yet as soon as Israel retaliates it makes the front page.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 08:44:17 AM »

Dave

Quit acting as if only Hezbollah has been to blame. What Hezbollah did was retalaition for something else. It's this kind of insane thinking that started World War I. Why are you chickenhawks not in Iraq?

And before you claim that those of us against starting random wars are against fighting a war that needs to be fought, I remind you that FDR said "war is hell".

Oh, I'm not acting, far from it. In fact, I'm being serious

Of course, war is hell and its time Jews, Christians and Muslims co-existed with mutual respect and tolerance for each other within the parameters of a fully functioning liberal democratic system of government

Unfortunately, Islamic terrorist groups don't want a bar of that and seek to impose their 'objectives' through heinous acts of terror

Peace has long been an object of Israel and her leaders, even when Arab-Israeli relations were at their worst. The late Israeli Prime Minister, Golda Meir, once said " I am convinced, honestly sincerely believe that my grandchildren will live in an area of peace in the Middle East because their are other grandmothers in Egypt, and in Syria, and in Jordan that have grandchildren and they also want them to live, irrespective of what Nasser thinks or Hussein thinks, the grandmothers and the mothers want their children to live

Granted Nasser and Hussein are no more, but were Golda Meir alive today, she'd be saying exactly the same thing but with referene to Hamas and Hizbollah

On the other hand, all you get from Hamas and Hizbollah is pure hatred and bile in their rhetoric directed at Israel and her people. Thst said, I'm sure Israel does have her extremists but, unlike Hamas and Hizbollah, they are well removed from the mainstream

Dave
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 11:13:13 AM »

Dave

I have to admit that I find it quite interesting how Hamas and Hezbollah launching rocket attacks on Israel hardly made the news here, yet as soon as Israel retaliates it makes the front page.
Because it is one thing to fire rockets at random and it is another to systematically destroy a country's infrastructure under pretext of defense.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »

Here's a Jew's response:

As much as I despise Hezbollah and Hamas, and I would gladly like to see them gone, and although I am on Israel's side on this issue, I just think it's unfair for both sides of the war. I think it is ridiculous that 220,000 people are in bomb shelters in Israel because of Hezbollah attacks, and in Lebanon, the main roads and airport have been demolished. I understand the long history of these conflicts, but if both sides can stop being so stubborn then they would be able to find some peaceful solution in time. If these attacks keep going on, both sides will have more reason to fight, but if someone starts to even recognize that peace is possible, it would be a lot nicer for the people on both sides to be able to sip their coffee in the morning without the fear of a rocket, or to know that your house won't me destroyed because the person next door is a Hezbollah terrorist.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »

You gotta love how fernie can't hide that rabid Kossite anti-Semitism, even when it's obviously in the wrong.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 04:49:13 PM »

I found this interesting:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/07/the_war_comes_to_us.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »

Ok, I'm generally an Israel-supporter or, at worst, a neutral party in the whole Palestine-Israel thing.  I think Israel is always forced to choose the lesser of two crappy situations and lacks and solution out of most of this media and military quagmires.

HOWEVER, Israel nees to realize that three fourths of its battle lies in public relations, both in the Arab world and in the West.  Just invading a sovereign country, killing mostly civilians, and blowing stuff up, is ridiculous and Israel is starting to realize this.  It seems like they got involved in a game of chicken and didn't know when to back down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Israel-Lebanon_crisis

Casualties

Israeli: Eight Israeli soldiers were killed, two captured and five more wounded.[3] Four civilians have been killed, and 120 civilians were wounded.[2] A gunboat was fired upon and heavily damaged, Israeli newspaper Haaretz confirm 4 IDF Sailors missing.

Lebanese: One Hezbollah member has been killed as well as two soldiers in the Lebanese army.[69] Lebanese security officials have so far reported that 63 Lebanese civilians have been killed and another 167 had been wounded by July 14.[70]

Foreign nationals: The Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry has reported that two Kuwaiti nationals have been killed.[71] Also, a complete family of four Brazilians, including two children, was killed in the Israeli bombings in Srifa,[72] drawing condemnation from foreign relations minister Celso Amorim.[73] Four members of a German-Lebanese family from Moenchengladbach were killed in an Israeli air raid in Chehour in southern Lebanon. An Argentinian woman died in Nahariya

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »

You gotta love how fernie can't hide that rabid Kossite anti-Semitism, even when it's obviously in the wrong.

It's not anti-Semetic. Maybe wrong or uninformed, but jfern and Kossers obviously don't hate people like Russ Feingold.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 08:40:02 PM »

Dave

Quit acting as if only Hezbollah has been to blame. What Hezbollah did was retalaition for something else.

For what.  It is incumbent upon you to tell us what it was in retaliation for.  the straikes against Hamas in Gaza?  Those were realiating for the kidnapping of an Israeli soldier and missile/rocket strikes agianst Israel.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 10:24:50 PM »

I'd love to see Hezbollah and Hamas destroyed.  The more of those people the Israelis kill, the better.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2006, 10:44:51 PM »

I'd love to see Hezbollah and Hamas destroyed.  The more of those people the Israelis kill, the better.

Well, so far, they're at 1.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 11:38:25 PM »

Hop fully, it's number one with a bullet.  This is one that Hezbollah started, in violation of a cease fire that had been in place for years.  It will be bloody, but eliminate them now.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 11:46:55 PM »

and compared to how many civilians?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2006, 12:33:31 AM »

It's back one page yo.

Casualties

Israeli: Eight Israeli soldiers were killed, two captured and five more wounded.[3] Four civilians have been killed, and 120 civilians were wounded.[2] A gunboat was fired upon and heavily damaged, Israeli newspaper Haaretz confirm 4 IDF Sailors missing.

Lebanese: One Hezbollah member has been killed as well as two soldiers in the Lebanese army.[69] Lebanese security officials have so far reported that 63 Lebanese civilians have been killed and another 167 had been wounded by July 14.[70]

Foreign nationals: The Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry has reported that two Kuwaiti nationals have been killed.[71] Also, a complete family of four Brazilians, including two children, was killed in the Israeli bombings in Srifa,[72] drawing condemnation from foreign relations minister Celso Amorim.[73] Four members of a German-Lebanese family from Moenchengladbach were killed in an Israeli air raid in Chehour in southern Lebanon. An Argentinian woman died in Nahariya

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies